Last weekend's trip... (Pic Heavy)

So last Saturday, my brother, his friend and myself backpacked into a wilderness area here in Eastern WA and did some fishing... thought ya'll might enjoy the pictures. Since we don't have a fishing forum I figured I'd throw them in here.

We started at the bottom of the drainage and had 5.5 miles before we even started climbing...
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

First lake we hit... partially thawed out
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Naturally it had pretty pitiful looking fish... ha
IMG_0142.jpg

Beautiful view:
IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Last lake we hit had some nice fish in it!
IMG_0154.jpg

Mike

bowinhand

WKR
You had me at "had 5.5 miles before we even started climbing..." Did you eat the skinny ones to put them out of their misery?

OP
HellsCanyon
The second lake which I forgot to take pictures had a LOT of fish in it, but they averaged about 11" in length. Saturday evening I caught 22-23 fish and forgot to take pictures. Sunday we hit the third lake where we had some decent fishin and the fish were much bigger as you can tell!

We logged a total of 22 miles and the first day we had 12.5 miles and 4800'+ elevation gain... Refer to my "I hate my Kenetreks" thread in footwear lol

Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great photos, Mike, thanks for sharing! It's always fun when you can find some fish to catch. Did you guys eat any?

OP
HellsCanyon
We did not eat any of the fish... I usually would, but we all packed in a large steak and a small ziploc full of our personal favorite seasoning, and with that dinner combined with some instant garlic Idaho Spuds and a bit of whiskey, fish just wasn't sounding quite as appetizing... :)

It was definitely a good time! We made it out over 9 miles in 3 hours 12 minutes dropping 3k feet... That was the fastest I've ever walked out of an area for sure!

Mike

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
great pictures. Nice to see that you all still have snow on the ground. Most everythings been melted here in colorado for 2 months now.

OP
HellsCanyon
Yeah we had a great snowpack in the high country this year...

You guys in Colorado may not have a whole lot of feed up high, but your bucks should be concentrated pretty good on that good feed!

Mike

Curtis C

WKR
Looks like a fun trip. Since we are talking fishing, what type of setup did you use? I think I want a light packable setup to take in with me this year. Anybody have recommendations ?

C

OP
HellsCanyon
Since I was leaving the spotter and tripod at home, I took my two piece heavy ass bamboo fly rod with a small box of flies... Its an old school rod but man I do love the action on it. Definitely want to upgrade my rod setup for next year though!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Yeah it was pretty cool to still be in snow... That was a pretty extreme little north facing basin though.

Mike