Late archery tactics?

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see much info about late archery elk hunting. We’re all used to the September rut and calling but what do you do in late November/early December?

ElkNut1

WKR
We've had a few cow tags over the years with Archery & MZ. Archery being the more difficult!

The cows we've taken have all been under 60 yards. We hunted areas with snow so locating tracks was easier after a fresh snow. At those times we hunted the timber & followed the tracks until elk were spotted. We've taken 3 this way.

2 other cows we took were spotted roughly a 1000 yards away in open undulated terrain. They were along the Spot & Stalk tactic. Keeping the wind in your favor is much more important than not being seen. If seen it seems the elk will tolerate a bit more than Sept hunts & not readily leave still getting the needed opportunity to be successful.

My Son took a Cow last year on a late Dec hunt with a MZ, shot was just under 60 yards. (Doable with a bow in that open country) We spotted/glassed them close to a 1/2 mile away & 1500' below us in the snow covered ground. I made the stalk with him to about 350 yards from the elk (50 or so) then stayed back on a timbered finger ridge to let him go in alone, it was quieter that way. I saw him go out of sight & 10 minutes later heard the blast of his MZ. Cow down!

What was cool was after the shot I saw the remaining herd bolt away from his area; they were between him & I & 350 yards below me. I started to call loudly with the Regathering Mew, 8-10 of them & then several Contact Buzzes. About 1/2 the herd split & started coming my direction, when they hit the timbered draw we couldn't see each other but I could hear the elk coming. I gave a few more Regathering Mews to give them my direction & about 45 seconds later they were at a walk filtering through the trees 70 yards from me looking for this cow. There was a 5 point & a 6 point in that group too. I could have easily cut the distance in half if I would've had a tag & been well within range. Yes, calling can work in certain instances. When push comes to shove I'm willing to try anything that may give me an opportunity.

ElkNut