Late Archery vs Rifle

MnWildFan

FNG
Team- had to change my plans for a SW MT archery elk hunt due to covid. I’m now looking at the 2nd week of October with the bow or just pivoting to rifle. Any of the experienced MT hunters have thoughts on trying to bow hunt so late in the season?

thanks all, happy hunting.

Wrench

WKR
You can still pull in a bull....pressure depending. You're in the "clean up" consolation round of the rut.

Archery will make it more challenging, rifle will make meat.

I killed my biggest bull on October 5th. But if that hadn’t happened it would have been a pretty uneventful hunt. In west central Montana things get pretty quiet by the start of October. You’re hoping to find a bull that has enough energy and sex drive left to think about making the effort to go one more round. Not easy. The second week of October would be ambush hunting not calling. Your only other hope then is a flurry of second rut activity. Personally I’d go with rifle hunting this year if I were you.

831hunter

FNG
I am going archery hunting in sw mt next week and then going back in November with my bow and rifle to give me options.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 2nd estrus can you give you some great action in a short window if your lucky enough to time it right….ive taken several the first few days of rifle that were bugling and chasing and should have had several others…🤙

OP
M

MnWildFan

FNG
Appreciate everyone’s insights. Will let you all know how things shake out.