Late Elk Tag Unit 20 - Colorado

Vids

WKR
I have a late season tag for unit 20 and was wondering if anyone has an idea of how hot the fire (Cameron Peak Fire) burned in the northern part of that unit. All of the NF land north of 34 and 43 is closed to all access. I went up there to scout today, couldn't even drive into that area to take a look.

Main question - is it burned to moon dust or did it leave some feed and cover behind? Knowing whether or not the elk will utilize that area may sway my decision making on other spots. TIA

Not sure how late your tag goes, but all of that area is set to reopen on Jan 4th. Unless that scumbag forest service guy who thinks he owns the place extends the closure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Not sure how late your tag goes, but all of that area is set to reopen on Jan 4th. Unless that scumbag forest service guy who thinks he owns the place extends the closure.

Tag is from Jan 9-20. Latest closure order I see on the Arapahoe/Roosevelt NF page is until Jan 22nd, where did you hear about the 4th? That would be awesome if it opened up.

That jackass Monte extended it. White Pine didn't even burn and it's in the closure... The Forest Disservice in Colorado is the worst in the rocky mountain west. Can't manage forest, can't stop a fire, but they're happy to kick everyone out.
A lot of the area that isn't closed is good winter ground, and didn't burn. I see elk sign in all of it here and there while chasing lions in the winter. I feel like the elk like the higher elevation winter ground areas near the pines.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Best success on your hunt, and I have often thought about using my 8 points for this tag. I can’t provide any help, but I attempted to chase bobcats with my two hounds in units 20/19 in the winter of 2018/19 and it was similar weather conditions then, mild and dry. The elk/moose I seen were up very high, almost the same spots you would hunt in October/November. I hope you get a significant weather system and/or get a big bull. Let us know how you do.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
That jackass Monte extended it. White Pine didn't even burn and it's in the closure... The Forest Disservice in Colorado is the worst in the rocky mountain west. Can't manage forest, can't stop a fire, but they're happy to kick everyone out.
A lot of the area that isn't closed is good winter ground, and didn't burn. I see elk sign in all of it here and there while chasing lions in the winter. I feel like the elk like the higher elevation winter ground areas near the pines.

Thanks for the info, I was a little worried that might be the case. The area of the closure seems huge, and I'm guessing any pressure south of 34/43 will push all the elk north of there since it will be quiet on that side.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Best success on your hunt, and I have often thought about using my 8 points for this tag. I can’t provide any help, but I attempted to chase bobcats with my two hounds in units 20/19 in the winter of 2018/19 and it was similar weather conditions then, mild and dry. The elk/moose I seen were up very high, almost the same spots you would hunt in October/November. I hope you get a significant weather system and/or get a big bull. Let us know how you do.
Thanks, this is an area I've thought about burning points on too. Just got lucky this year and picked it up from the leftover list so it's a great opportunity for an exploratory hunt to see if it's worth the points. I was surprised to see how dry it is up there with all the recent talk about avalanche danger in the mountains. Not sure where they'll be. Didn't see anything in town or down low, but it was windy as all get out yesterday so they may have been hunkered in the trees. I would imagine they'll still be up high but I've also hunted 20 in the past and saw bulls that had already moved down lower in early December, so who knows...

Thanks, this is an area I've thought about burning points on too. Just got lucky this year and picked it up from the leftover list so it's a great opportunity for an exploratory hunt to see if it's worth the points. I was surprised to see how dry it is up there with all the recent talk about avalanche danger in the mountains. Not sure where they'll be. Didn't see anything in town or down low, but it was windy as all get out yesterday so they may have been hunkered in the trees. I would imagine they'll still be up high but I've also hunted 20 in the past and saw bulls that had already moved down lower in early December, so who knows...
You'll get some of both. Lots of elk are way down almost in town, but some will stay really high all winter long

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Oh man, now you're putting pressure on me to get one!! I head up Wednesday, child raising obligations are the priority until then. I'll post an update when I get back.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Update - Very little excitement on this hunt. Ran across one hunter that killed a 5x5, and talked with a bunch of others that saw nothing like us. The consistent story all week long was seeing fresh deer tracks and elk tracks that were about a week old. Lack of snow and the fire closure really put a damper on this one.

fishslap

WKR
Oh man, now you're putting pressure on me to get one!! I head up Wednesday, child raising obligations are the priority until then. I'll post an update when I get back.
No pressure at all. An update that someone is hunting and not seeing anything is better than nothing during the post season doldrums.

fishslap

WKR
Update - Very little excitement on this hunt. Ran across one hunter that killed a 5x5, and talked with a bunch of others that saw nothing like us. The consistent story all week long was seeing fresh deer tracks and elk tracks that were about a week old. Lack of snow and the fire closure really put a damper on this one.
Have you tried the south end of the unit at all?