Late Fall Winter Hunting/ Mountaineering Boot

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
fellow roksliders. i hope everyone is having a good summer and is gearing up for this fall and winters hunting trips. The last major item I need to get is a pair of late fall/ winter mountaineering boot. The 3 boots I am looking at in the order of interest is the Crispi Wild Rock Plus GTX 800 gram, Schnees Granite 600 Gram, and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000 grams. These boots will be used in late elk hunting and Late November deer hunting in western states. This year I have an elk and deer combo trip to central Montana November 5-14, Late November Whitetail hunt in Northern Idaho in below 0° and February Mountain Lion and coyote hunting in Wyoming and Nevada. I recently ordered the Schnees Hunter 2 pac boot for super snowy conditions but I’m looking for a mountaineering boot with good insulation as well. Last year I ran the Crispi Guide 200 grams and I reall like them but anything below 30° if I’m not moving even in premium socks my feet get super cold. Since I already have 200 gram boots I don’t want to buy 400 grams, I feel a heavier boot will round out my setup for all 4 seasons since my Crispi Guides take me from Archery to Mid fall comfortably. Has anybody used the new Wild Rock Plus with 800 Gram insulation? What about the Schnees Granite? What temperature do you think those boots can be worn in the winter using premium socks? Want to start doing some winter ice fishing so they will be used for that as well. Any reviews or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Another one to consider might be the Lowa Tibet Superwarm. They have 400 g of primaloft + gore duratherm, which is an insulation layer laminated to the gore tex. My guess is these are easily as warm as 1000 grams of thinsulate. They have taken me below 0 degrees and my feet are pretty sensitive to cold due to some previous frostbite. They are bulky but are still fine to hike in all day.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Another one to consider might be the Lowa Tibet Superwarm. They have 400 g of primaloft + gore duratherm, which is an insulation layer laminated to the gore tex. My guess is these are easily as warm as 1000 grams of thinsulate. They have taken me below 0 degrees and my feet are pretty sensitive to cold due to some previous frostbite. They are bulky but are still fine to hike in all day.
Do you think the 800 gram Crispi Wild Rocks will be to much insulation on a Montana November elk hunt if the temperature swings and warms up to 30°?. I just don’t want to buy the 400 since I already have the 200 Gram which can take me to around 25-30° comfortably with darn tough socks and a sock liner. 10° my feet were absolutely miserable even walking. Which is why I also don’t think 400 will be enough if it’s super cold on a lion hunt.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think they will be too much insulation if your feet run cold. I am not a boot expert but I did a lot of research before buying my Lowas last year and the frustrating thing is it was impossible for me to figure out how to compare the insulation in various boots. Different types of insulation have different thermal properties so its tough to get an apples to apples comparison. The schnees granite has 600 g of thinsulate, the crispis use 800 g gore duratherm, and the kenetreks have 1000 g of thinsulate. I think the crispis will be the warmest of the three you mention because I am pretty sure thinsulate is not as warm as duratherm. I know thinsulate is not nearly as warm as primaloft. My Lowas have 400 grams of primaloft plus gore duratherm - I dont remember how many grams of duratherm they have but they are pretty heavily insulated. My guess is they are at least as warm as the crispi wild rocks. My feet do not overheat in them at 30 degrees and I wear an alpaca wool liner and a winter-weight smartwool hiking sock. But again, I have some frostbite damage that impacts my circulation. If I were you I would call customer service and ask them about thinsulate vs primaloft vs duratherm.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Also I assume your issues are not caused by sweaty feet. It's an entirely different conversation if you sweat a lot and that caues your feet to get cold.

Ulysses23

FNG
I highly recommend the Crispi Wild Rock. I run the 400’s and it has been the perfect boot for later rifle seasons. My toes did get cold when stationary and temps were hovering around zero, with a few inches on the ground. Everyone’s temperature tolerances vary in their extremities but the build quality on this boot is top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of insulated boots, they make my feet colder due to sweating. So, I use a set of plastic Asolo mountaineering boots when its real cold and theres a ton of snow.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think they will be too much insulation if your feet run cold. I am not a boot expert but I did a lot of research before buying my Lowas last year and the frustrating thing is it was impossible for me to figure out how to compare the insulation in various boots. Different types of insulation have different thermal properties so its tough to get an apples to apples comparison. The schnees granite has 600 g of thinsulate, the crispis use 800 g gore duratherm, and the kenetreks have 1000 g of thinsulate. I think the crispis will be the warmest of the three you mention because I am pretty sure thinsulate is not as warm as duratherm. I know thinsulate is not nearly as warm as primaloft. My Lowas have 400 grams of primaloft plus gore duratherm - I dont remember how many grams of duratherm they have but they are pretty heavily insulated. My guess is they are at least as warm as the crispi wild rocks. My feet do not overheat in them at 30 degrees and I wear an alpaca wool liner and a winter-weight smartwool hiking sock. But again, I have some frostbite damage that impacts my circulation. If I were you I would call customer service and ask them about thinsulate vs primaloft vs duratherm.
What brand alpaca wool liner? My buddy in Wyoming has some alpaca wool and loves it. thinking about trying some.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I use Dahlgren over the calf compression socks as liners. I like them a lot. They are also a perfect length with 3/4 length baselayers.