Late jacket recommendation

HunterEng

FNG
Late season iowa. So less than 30 degree highs. Looking for a better jacket combo. Right now.i have base layers, a sitka jetstream vest , the first lite solitude jacket. I just dont care for that jacket, dont think it keeps me that warm, for those temps After 3 hrs, I'm cold.

Any recommendations, sanctuary, I have the bibs and I like them alot? Or look at sitka stuff. Thanks

Gun bunting or archery hunting? Makes a difference as gun hunting noise is generally not a concern and any number of options is available. Archery hunting noise becomes a factor and my go to there would be the fanatic.

but if gun hunting, any good warm/windproof/waterprrof jacket can be used from any number of stores or brands

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Those sanctuary bibs you have are pretty damn warm. I wore them last season in -15 F sitting still for 6 hours at a time. Sanctuary jacket up top. For base layers it was the firstlite furnace tops and bottoms and I also had a heavy down vest over the bibs and under the jacket. Wear a balaclava and trapper hat over it and you’ll be toasty warm 👍🏻

1BCEB39E-D74A-4292-89F3-14879AC1663D.jpeg14609F44-49B2-4708-A304-138053ACAD3E.jpeg

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
The Cabela's MT050 works for me in cold temps, if you layer in a puffy underneath you should be good down to Teens. My go to in the late season is actually a cheap Cabela's one piece suit that I got on sale for $100 one year after Christmas. It's not waterproof, but when it's really cold I don't have that many days where I need it waterproof. I can pile layers on underneath because I ordered it one size bigger than normal and you'd be surprised how much warmer a one piece is than a bibs/coat combo, as soon as First Lite comes out with the hunter's onesie I'm going to get on that preorder.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
You have the answer at the bottom of your question. Sitka, and don't think twice. Either fanatic or incinerator. It has everything you could always want in a whitetail hunting jacket. That includes windstopper unlike the sanctuary set.

+1 on Sitka for the windstopper. I love my Fanatic. Highs here this weekend were in the mid 30's and I was vey comfy.

OP
H

HunterEng

FNG
You have the answer at the bottom of your question. Sitka, and don't think twice. Either fanatic or incinerator. It has everything you could always want in a whitetail hunting jacket. That includes windstopper unlike the sanctuary set.
Thanks....that's the problem with the first lite stuff, the lack of function windstopper. I run hot so thought the solitude would work. I'll pry just wear with lows in the 30s.

OP
H

HunterEng

FNG
Gun bunting or archery hunting? Makes a difference as gun hunting noise is generally not a concern and any number of options is available. Archery hunting noise becomes a factor and my go to there would be the fanatic.

but if gun hunting, any good warm/windproof/waterprrof jacket can be used from any number of stores or brands
Bow hunting....most likely I have my gun system down and dont have to sit long for that season as well

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
i've been happy with my sanctuary jacket and bibs in the late season. I usually go with a first lite chama hoody, fleece, puffy, and the sanctuary as the outer layer and stay quite warm. Haven't ever tried the sitka fanatic but I see it always gets great reviews as well.

JayTx

FNG
18 hour large hothand warmer against your chest and warmers in your boots. Its amazing how much that helps.

Marshland

FNG
Late season iowa. So less than 30 degree highs. Looking for a better jacket combo. Right now.i have base layers, a sitka jetstream vest , the first lite solitude jacket. I just dont care for that jacket, dont think it keeps me that warm, for those temps After 3 hrs, I'm cold.

Any recommendations, sanctuary, I have the bibs and I like them alot? Or look at sitka stuff. Thanks
I’m a big fan of my fanatic jacket and I think they have only gotten better since I got mine.

Have you considered keeping your current setup and just adding a down jacket under your outermost layer? It's been one of the most impactful additions to my layering and a good quality down jacket will likely last you a very long time. And others have noted a neck gaiter, I'll +1 for that. Amazing the difference it makes.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord