Late MT archery season question

rkramer

FNG
A buddy and I drew the big game combo tag in MT this year. We will be going a couple times during the rifle season. However, the only time we can possibly go during the archery season is oct 15-18th. Obviously this is not an ideal time but we just want to be outside gaining experience. With that being said, what species do you guys even recommend? Try to catch a late rutting bull? Mule deer? We are definitely open to chasing cows too if that’s more realistic. As you can tell we are not greatly experienced and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bsnedeker

WKR
I would plan on using your archery hunt as more of a scouting opportunity. In 3-4 days you can get a good sense of the country and an idea of the animals in there so when you come back during rifle you'll be prepared. Basically I'm saying hunt the country, don't worry about the animals. If you get an opportunity whether it's a bull, buck, or cow, I would take it!

406unltd

WKR
If the return trip is soon after the initial archery hunt then I’d say you could use a lot of the info gained for the rifle hunt. If it’s far removed from the first trip then the game will be utilizing the area different and or be in different locations all together. Make sure what animals are legal for you in the areas you will be hunting. Taking a cow in rifle could be illegal in certain areas since archery has small differences from rifle season in that way. Also some HDs may not allow mule deer bucks to be taken except by draw or whatever. When you know what you can legally take in your HD then just hunt and if something gets your blood pumping and you want to take it and can do so legally do it. Enjoy your hunt you guys.

Your archery hunt may be more of a scouting trip but you might get lucky and catch another small window of bugling elk action. Sounds like your pretty flexible with your expectations anyways that you’ll still have a great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk