Late Nov cow elk options (Wyoming general tag)

young7.3

WKR
First thing first, please PM me with any specific info regarding my question. My Dad and I went out during September and were unsuccessful at punching our tags and I am exploring what options are available in late Nov (Nov 25-28 to be exact) for a cow hunt. We’re mainly looking for what unit/area we will have the best odds at harvesting 2 cow elk, and reaching someone that has had experience in said unit. We are just trying to put meat in the freezer at this point. Not opposed to paying a trespass fee for private land either.

Looking in the regs I’ve found that our options for those dates are below...

Unit 3- an elk. south of hwy 26 only. Mostly private
Unit 6- off NF (mostly private land)
Unit 66-any elk. Has public land but elk are on ag fields
Unit 116- cow only. little public land
Unit 126-sounds like low populations
Unit 127-mostly private.
Unit 129-most elk are on private land?

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applaud you for seeing a visual on the fact that you have done your research. I would suggest narrowing it down to a more specific area(s) and contacting the game warden for those areas to see if there might be some folks who would let a guy on for a reasonable fee. The other reason for narrowing it down would be to see which one might be easier to access if the weather turns. Nothing worse than needing to get across the state when all the roads are closed. Have a back up plan and then go and hunt!

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
I applaud you for seeing a visual on the fact that you have done your research. I would suggest narrowing it down to a more specific area(s) and contacting the game warden for those areas to see if there might be some folks who would let a guy on for a reasonable fee. The other reason for narrowing it down would be to see which one might be easier to access if the weather turns. Nothing worse than needing to get across the state when all the roads are closed. Have a back up plan and then go and hunt!

Thanks for the reply. That was on my list as well!

wyosteve

WKR
Unfortunately, those late season cow hunts are almost entirely weather dependent. It takes snow to push them down and as you've noted, it's mostly private land once they do come down. I think you have to watch the weather and consider heading to whichever unit(s) get the most snow.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
I have a call in to the biologist for Cheyenne area so waiting on that call back. Any other suggestions or tips?

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Well the Cheyenne office called back...was quite an a$$hole. Basically said if you dont have private land access you wont get a cow.

quandtro

FNG
I tried to PM you, but honestly couldn’t figure out how to do it. Which is embarrassing as I’m too young to be technologically impaired.

There’s a ranch in one of those units that had a bunch of elk on it when I had a type 6 tag out there. I believe it was fairly expensive and pretty much you shot from 5 yards off the road at these elk laying in their hayfield. We passed it up because between my dad and I, we have a surplus of meat so it’s more about the hunt for us.

If you’re interested you can PM me and I’ll gladly tell you the name of the ranch and unit. There was good snow that year I should add.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
I sent you a message. It looks like you just created your profile so you probably have your private messaging disabled until you finish the probation period.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Bumping this up. Looks like we are going to apply to the greybull river hma for the last week of november. Has anyone hunted this hma before around these dates?

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Greybull is unlimited for Elk, the Nov hunts are for WT Deer.

I sent you a pm.

Anyone else have any suggestions on where to try for a last minute cow tag? Ive called the cody region office twice l, left messages, and have yet to get a return call.