Late rut or post rut?

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hope everyone is doing well...Had a a few questions for the group.

Is CO first rifle, considered late rut or post rut? I've been reading differing accounts on this and hoped the group could shed some light on it.

If it's late rut, I'd figure that calls would still be a viable option and the Elk's primary need is to mate so they can be called out of the deep timber.

If this is post rut and calling isn't an option, then glassing/spot and stalk would be best, with the primary need being food. Since they will not be all grouped up, I've been reading that bulls, will start to seek refuge and get deep into the nasty stuff or on private lands. I haven't found as much info on where one would look for cows, assuming they are in different places?

Since I have an either sex tag, I'd like to maximize my opportunity to fill the freezer.

Thanks.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Post rut. The smaller bulls will still be with the cows. Calling will not be as effective, but some may be taking on their own depending on the pressure they've experienced. Use this to locate the herd, don't try to call one in (pointless if you have a rifle IMO).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Post rut. The smaller bulls will still be with the cows. Calling will not be as effective, but some may be taking on their own depending on the pressure they've experienced. Use this to locate the herd, don't try to call one in (pointless if you have a rifle IMO).

Thank you...this definitely helps narrow things down. If it's post-rut, obviously food will be a major factor, do you know what elk prefer for forage in that area, in Oct? and is the forage interests different for bulls and cows?

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I've used locator bugles during 2nd season with success. Calling is always a viable option!!

That’s really good to know, I will definitely bring a bugle then. Because if there’s any shift in the rut and we are lucky enough to catch the tail end of it, that may be a great option for locating.

For late rut calling, is it better to go with a bugle or cow call?

I certainly wouldn't say not to call. This hunt is in October right? You could accidentally catch them flatfooted and screaming!

UtahJimmy

WKR
OP asked if he should try to call one out of the timber. That's what I meant by not trying to call one in. If he's sounding off on his own that late in October, he's probably not going to come looking for a fight. Might send him in the other direction more likely. But locator bugles would be a good strategy for sure.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
OP asked if he should try to call one out of the timber. That's what I meant by not trying to call one in. If he's sounding off on his own that late in October, he's probably not going to come looking for a fight. Might send him in the other direction more likely. But locator bugles would be a good strategy for sure.

What you were saying made sense.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys recommend picking up a bear tag for this hunt, in those areas?

thing is i seen a herd bull with his cows in 2nd. on a ranch. but the bachelor bulls were already hiding in dark timber up high and not responding to calling obviously.

What I've seen in CO is first rifle is right there at the end of the rut. Big herds can still be found with a nice bull controlling it. You can also find some of the bigger bulls off being solo, but I'd put money on the following while hunting the 1st season. Bugles, elk still in herds, and bugling the first few days depending on pressure and weather. Depending on the unit, and how open it is, if they bugle, they are pretty much dead if you want them, and have some legs to get to them.

1st season is one of the best seasons there is. The elk are a long ways from hiding out at that time of year. Weather is normally really nice, and just really feels like elk hunting.

Marble

WKR
I've been in 2nd season several times with full rut action and called bulls in like September. 4 times in 18 years calls have worked well. They've been bugling other times. Called bulls in twice. But just stalked the herd and killed a bull the other times. I would not rely on this for your plan. Have it available, but the standard post rut tactics work best. Find food, travel, bedding and low pressure areas and you'll have success.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in 2nd season several times with full rut action and called bulls in like September. 4 times in 18 years calls have worked well. They've been bugling other times. Called bulls in twice. But just stalked the herd and killed a bull the other times. I would not rely on this for your plan. Have it available, but the standard post rut tactics work best. Find food, travel, bedding and low pressure areas and you'll have success.

Right on. I’m going to go into it with a post rut mentality and hopefully we get some late rut action. Did you bugle or cow call?

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
What I've seen in CO is first rifle is right there at the end of the rut. Big herds can still be found with a nice bull controlling it. You can also find some of the bigger bulls off being solo, but I'd put money on the following while hunting the 1st season. Bugles, elk still in herds, and bugling the first few days depending on pressure and weather. Depending on the unit, and how open it is, if they bugle, they are pretty much dead if you want them, and have some legs to get to them.

1st season is one of the best seasons there is. The elk are a long ways from hiding out at that time of year. Weather is normally really nice, and just really feels like elk hunting.

There’s some really exciting potential there. This being my first elk hunt it would be great to hear some bugling and see some of the action. Our plan, if we do hear the bugling is to do whatever it takes to get out to it. We are happy to do the legwork.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider

Did you bugle or cow call them in? And what kind of food are they looking for that time of year, is there still grasses available or have they moved on to other nutritional resources?