Late Season Archery Elk in Utah

I'm planning on making one last stab at DIY elk hunting. This is the second year hunting western style, but first year chasing elk. I have off work December 1-5 and want to make good use of it. I spent a couple, several day hunts in early season (warm wheather) and mainly hunted water. I was limited to only hunting close to what I could drive Tahoe to because a pack out would likely be solo. I saw multiple moose on every hunt but never elk. With the colder wheather and a few more days of hunting I hope to be able to get a little farther off the beaten path. I am planning to hunt the Wasatch Front. I live in the West Cache zone but its a new extended archery unit and I think the elk herd here is slim to none.
Its been dry here and even drier in the Wasatch according to the snow depth. I'm assuming that means the elk will still be high. There has been a few inches of snow all the way to the valley floor but I don't think mountain peaks got much more than 2 feet at the most. There is almost no new snow forecast. Forecast temps are highs ~40° lows ~20° in the valley.
My assumption is that the elk will be near the snow line, feeding on the north facing slopes (they are wetter and have more vegetation) with several inches of snow and then bedding on the warmer drier south facing slopes. I was not planning on calling. Hopefully I can glass them as they move on the morning and stalk if the wind is right or wait for evening thermals if its not.

Does this sound like a logical tactic or am I majorly overlooking something?

The "search" feature didn't turn up any late season archery elk elk threads for a similar geography and climate. So maybe this thread could fill in the gap.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
JustJustin
Nobody has any idea on what terrain/vegetation/elevation elk are likely to be hanging out at? Or is everybody else just smart enough to make sure they don't have to rely on late archery to kill an elk?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
They’ll be where they were all summer. And you better wear your running boots; Utah late archery is no joke and people will literally race you to animals even if they don’t even have good wind. Good luck just don’t expect a great hunt and grind it out. Go in ready to be frustrated and you’ll be fine

dubdub52

FNG
If you're hunting extended archery, wasatch front has plenty of life around the lamb's canyon area. I'd hike in a ways and you're sure to see something