late season backcountry water storage/strategy?

RCB

WKR
I've done a bit of late season hunting out of the truck, but never backpacking. Generally when car camping I leave a lot of water jugs in the truck, and so far that has been good enough to prevent it from freezing over night. I've never backpacked in really cold temperatures but I expect to do so this year. So I'm not really sure what I need to do to prevent water from freezing over night. Any tips? Gear recommendations?

mlgc20

WKR
Put your jugs of water inside your cooler when you leave the truck. They won’t freeze while you’re gone.

Edit: if your talking about while you’re backpacking overnight, put your water at the bottom of your sleeping bag.

Legend

WKR
When it is really cold I throw a Nalgene in my sleeping bag. When it is stupid cold I boil the nalgene first...it will be warm in the morning as long as you have zero air in the bottle. Otherwise leave the water in the stream until you need it. Or melt snow when you need to.

Poser

WKR
Get it off the ground -put it in or on your pack.

Fill your cook pot the night before since you’ll be heating it anyway. That way if everything does freeze, at least you have coffee and breakfast.

Put a bottle in your bag with you.