Late season clothing recomendations

chas

Lil-Rokslider
What clothing do you use/recommend for a Nov. WY. Mule deer pack in hunt. 5 day. My gear is not adequate for this type of hunt, because of where I live and how I hunt. Here is more sit and wait. This is a spot and stalk from a base camp. What do you recommend?

I am in a similar situation. Our hunt will be in Idaho, in December, archery. With that, we plan to encounter snow, heavy winds and some cooler temps. While I am hiking I plan to be wearing the First Lite chama top, with the KUIU guide jacket, Guide pants with a merino base layer. When we stop to glass I will throw on the spindrift. I will have the guide gloves with an Icebreaker hand muff around my waste (that thing is worth it's weight in gold). Hanwag Alaskans, guide beanie...

We have several options on where to stay or camp, so it will all be dependant on how the hunting is going and how far we hike in from where we park. I would suspect that we spend at least 2 nights out in the hills during the 7-9 day hunt. 0 degree bags, mega tarp with annex and stove.

Last year on our late season archery hunt in Idaho I wore the First Lite llano top, a wool sweater (military issue) and the sitka 90% jacket while hiking, it was pretty cold and windy, even when we stopped to glass I don't remember getting cold, so that worked. For the bottom I wore a merino base layer and the sitka ascent pants. One day I worse the stratus bibs, but they were just a bit too warm with all the hiking. Warm columbia glove on bow hand and a thin glove on my other hand, under armor beanie. Boots were just some danner pronghorns with merino socks. Shitty boots, but they worked.

I am not sure how physical your hunt will be, but we covered a lot of ground each day and it wasn't flat, I found that as long as I wasn't sweating too much due to many layers that I was fine. I would suspect that to be the same this year and I think the KUIU will work just fine for me.

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
We will do a lot of hiking and spot and stalk. Thanks for the advice and reccomendations. Have you ever use wool outer wear? Anyone use the timberline sika pants for a trip like this.

The timberline pants would be just fine. I use a wool over layer when I am back east sitting in a stand all day, not something I would want to wear if I was going to be hiking miles each day. Too bulky and too heavy, plus I think you would overheat rather quick like with wool on while you are hiking. Assuming you are talking about the heavier wool.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I to am looking at late season pants for a possible Goat hunt here in AK. Are the Timberline Pants a better bet than the KUIU Guide pants? I like the idea of the sewn in knee pads. Used the Arc Teryx knee pads Aron recommended on my last hunt with my KUIU Attack pants. Knee pads are great in the mountains...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I pretty much use the same set up as Nick. The only exception is the spindrift is not enough for me if I sit for more than 20-30 minutes.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come late season wool is added to my clothing. Whether it is a wool vest or wool sweater. I will wear it with a Sitka Kelvin if really cold. Heavier for sure but wool is tough to beat when it gets really chilly:)

2rocky

WKR
Chas and High Country, I got to handle the Momentum pants from Badlands. Now I won't have cool enough weather to test em in until November but they would deserve a look, if pants with insulation and some DWR is what you want. Summer in CA is no time to product test a winter pant.

if you are at Sportsman's or Bass pro, you can get them in your hands and try them on yourself. Be sure to check out the built in gaiter...

as for footwear I like a pac boot with airbobs in snow. Schnees, Hoffman, and Whites all make good ones.

I still like wool shirts, and wear em at work too.

Whatever you do have multiple layers so you can dress down to hike up hill and bundle up to glass. cover your ears, and have a good windproof layer. Good gloves help a ton.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear ya on wool, but I need something lighter and a little more breathable than most of the wool pants I have seen. I'm just looking for a pant that is slightly heavier than the KUIU Attack pant. The KUIU Guide pant is an option, but have heard a lot of good things about the Sitka Timberline pant as well. I have some heavy wool pants and some insulated pants for late, late, season, just need an in-between pant for when the Attack pants are to light and the heavy stuff is to heavy. Perhaps I just layer up on the heavier merino base layers and call it good, but I prefer to hike and climb without base layers underneath... Sure would be the cheaper option... : )

Rizzy

WKR
For cold weather I would simply recommend a full set of layers. You will heat up while hiking uphill, even in the snow, and you will be cold as soon as you stop or hit level ground. Insulated boots and gaiters would be a real good choice also.

If you layer properly with a good base layer.... ANY of the Sitka or KUIU pants will suffice JUST FINE. ESPECIALLY if you are hiking, no matter the temperature... Now if you are stoppin got glass for several hours in each place, I'd have something warm to throw on over the top for a bit.

Don't over think it, just layer properly and you will be just fine. PLUS, if it doesn't work out, you know for next time! :)

Have a good hunt!

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill have my guide pants and jacket along with chugach gear with me for a backpack nov mulie hunt this year. Ill bring layers as necessary.

Same system as the rest of the year, with a little heavier pants and a few more layers. Lots of layers is what you need. Take them off before you sweat, and put them on before you freeze.

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I guess I am over thinking this trip. Just super pumped. I do hate to freeze though.

Last edited: