Late Season elk hunting Tactics

spdrman

WKR
My 10 year old was lucky enough to draw a November bull tag this year in a area I archery hunt, During September I get up high glass up elk and watch where they go into the timber then head after them and never go a day without putting eyes on elk, Figured this rifle hunt would be similar hunting but man was I wrong. We've been out 6 days put on a lot of miles and have only turned up 2 small groups of bulls, first group where way to far to go after, the other 2 bulls where spooked by some guys in a UTV 4 miles down a closed road.

We've hiked a lot of miles through all the country I elk hunt in September and haven't even turned up any tracks in the country I always find them in. Lion hunted this area quite a bit in the past and can usually glass up bulls bedded on open ridges but we don't have the snow for that yet.

Any suggestions on what kind of terrain or vegetation I need to be looking for this time of year? Just when I thought I was figuring critters out I get hit hard with this humbling experience haha

So far they are having fun and getting pretty good at building fires while I glass to keep warm, end of the day want to keep it as positive as an experience as I can for themIMG_9786.jpg DSC01730.JPG

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Bulls go to sanctuary... look for the nasty holes you wouldn't want to pack an elk out of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Seems everything I shoot I end up in a Nasty hole I dont want to pack out of haha, my boys are troopers and can hike about anywhere but cant carry much weight, Luckily I have a buddy with Horses that said he'd come pack a bull out for me if it gets in too far back in there

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your doing it right November big bull hunting is so much about patience glassing early late and mid day….your best friends will be snow depth and bitter cold for them to be out feeding more….keep at it and pray to the weather gods🤙

Fatcamp

WKR
Your doing it right November big bull hunting is so much about patience glassing early late and mid day….your best friends will be snow depth and bitter cold for them to be out feeding more….keep at it and pray to the weather gods🤙
I have a cow tag for the last two weeks of December. Will pray for snow.