Late Season - Hybrid or Hardshell

TygerJ

FNG
Seeking input regarding late season setup for elk/deer.

Scenario: Colorado. Potential Snow, Wind, Cold.

Y’all advise either a hybrid pant (like the the Kuiu Axis or Sitka Timberline), or prefer using a hardshell pant instead?

Foremost want to be able to stay dry, cut wind, and be reasonably warm.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Like what’s the upside to using a hybrid versus a hardshell. Not sure I understand the pros/cons on that comparison.

Hybrids breathe way better and sweat in those conditions makes you cold. The less you sweat or the faster you can dry the sweat and moisture the warmer you will be. That’s my experience anyway. Tried some hard shell jackets 7-8 years ago and I sweated way too much even with just one thin Merino shirt on.

Shoes

FNG
I would plan on wearing something like the axis or pro pant over a base layer for most of it. If it is expected to be some combination of snowing, blowing or really cold I would have a hard shell and/or a synthetic down puffy pant.

2018 the early elk rifle season had a couple days of single digit highs and wind but no precipitation. I wore a heavy fleece poly base and the old Chinook pants. Carried a shell to throw on when I stopped or had to sit in snow.

If you're walking in snow I would want a pair of gaiters to keep snow out no matter what water proof property my pants had.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Sounds like a hybrid or soft shell is preferred outlayer in late season conditions, while on the move, until the precipitation and/or wind is so bad that you have no choice but to switchover to something fully waterproof/wind proof...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The KUIU axis is very wind resistant/proof and has waterproof material in areas exposed to precipitation. Sitka Jetstream has a DWR and wind barrier. Those two can more or less replace a hard shell. If it’s going to be extremely wet or rainy the Jetstream will soak through. Can’t say one way or the other if the KUIU can stand up to wet snow/rain or not.

Last edited:

WyoKid

WKR
Just pulled the trigger on Kuiu hybrid jacket. I am an active Hunter but was looking for a soft shell with some water proofing for those days in the timber when snow falls and drips from the branches. The hybrid seems to have water proofing for the head and shoulders where I typically get wet. I did look at something windproof like the Jetstream, which would also work since I get wet but not soaked and have dedicated rain gear for true downpours. But, I Kuiu gave 25% off for my birthday, which put it at the same price as a Jetstream....so thought I would give it a try. I haven't received it yet but will let you know my initial thoughts.