Late season lower layer suggestions

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a late season elk lower layer suggestion.

Typical I run some Kuiu Attack or Wrangler hiking pants with long underwear and gators.

I am looking for an affordable puffy pant option for glassing, as well as traveing in the my SXS between spots. Zip off is preferable.

20181201_145043-X3.jpg

Michael54

WKR
I bought these 2 years ago and have no complaints. I even wear em on the snowmobile and they are holding up great
Screenshot_20201109-170623_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Lowg08

WKR
I don’t elk hunt but I do late season hunt. I will be wearing merino base, timberline pants and I will be carrying kelvin puffy pants and if the wind is blowing I will
Put on my rain suit

I have and really like the Feathered Friends Helios pants. Higher quality down and build than the majority of hunting brands at a lower price.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Pnuma insulator pants which is their full zip puffy pant. Haven’t had a chance to try them yet as it’s 74 degrees in PA. They seem very well built and come with a lifetime warranty

Wrench

WKR
I killed a bull this year at subzero temps and had to ride a quad 10 miles to get to the hike in point.

I wore 2x baselayers, bora pants, under armor ridge reaper puffy pants and was able to stay warm below the waist.

I was flat impressed with how well that system works.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
No BS but for colder weather idk how you can beat the Sitka timberlines or stone glacier de havilland pant. I’ve wore both pretty hard use. I think I like the SG a little better because of the side zips. If you have a zip off base layer you don’t have to remove your pants with the SG.

For puffy I really like the SG Grumman puffy pants and Outdoor research has a full zip puffy pants called the refuge pants that works great. The Grumman’s are the warmer of the two. Refuge pants may be more durable. Both full zip pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with the Outdoor Research Refuge pants. Found them on sale for $130.00. I have only worn them once, but am impressed. Nice and light, and pack up pretty well.

Mt Al

WKR
I had looked at the army issue stuff. Seems like it gets great reviews. Heavy....but warm and priced right.

That's what I have and have used for years and really like them. Not for serious long term sub zero temps, but work for 90% of what I'm doing. The higher priced ones are probably worth it for better insulation and lighter weight.

Firehawk

WKR
I had ordered the Pnuma Insulator pant and after they arrived, I realized that they just didn't fit me right. So I returned them and just picked up the Kings Camo XKG Insulator Down pant. I am really impressed with them. Kind of like wearing a sleeping bag on my legs. Anyway, they have been on sale recently and are available for around $135. Time will tell how durable they are, but they appear great for those glassing sessions when it is cold, the ATV ride in the freezing temps, and the lounging around in camp when it is very cold. They are 3/4 zip.

Jimss

WKR
If you are late season hunting in snow it's nice to have a set of rain gear. I'd leave your gators in the truck if you have rain pants. My rain pants cover my boots so I don't need to worry about snow. Rain pants not only keep your dry but also cut the wind. If you sit down to glass without rain pants in snow while glassing your butt will end up wet!

I generally have 3 layers that I vary depending upon exactly how cold and active I am. It's nice having a fairly large selection to pick and choose from. My 3 main layers on bottom are thermals, pants, and rain pants. I vary the thickness of each depending on conditions. You can't go wrong with Sitka or Kuiu. I tend to be replacing most of my Sitka pants with Kuiu just because the Kuiu's tend to fit a little better.

One other layer I often have during late season hunts is snow camo. White camo cuts the human profile which is super important to me! For regular camo I always wear different camo patterns/colors on top vs bottoms for the same reason.