Late Season Muzzlelaoder Mule Deer Hunt

VANDAL

WKR
No buck, no cow, no shots fired.

Had a heck of a day though. Never did see that big buck but I was in close on deer all day. Here’s a recap video.

I should have noted in that first group of deer I did see both bigger framed deer I saw this morning. Both decent 4 pts but not the big one.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate the support! It was fun

VANDAL

WKR
Oh and it’s @Woodycat fault I didn’t hammer a cow. I tried to contact him while I was set up thinking about shooting, he never answered.

He would have pushed me over the edge. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great effort Corey. You did a great job. Solo hunting is no picnic...and #cowelklivesmatter

Seriously great job man!!!

lif

WKR
Thanks for sharing man. My son and I have been dying to go hunting for over a month now. Season came and went fast for us. This was very entertaining. Thanks Corey, Robbie, and Cash.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing man. My son and I have been dying to go hunting for over a month now. Season came and went fast for us. This was very entertaining. Thanks Corey, Robbie, and Cash.
and thanks for following.

hobbes

WKR
Great effort and dedication to finding a big buck. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm happy to have a notched buck tag but would love to still be hunting for a buck also. I'm trying to get out this week with a cow tag. Last year I found a 170ish buck while trying to fill this cow tag in a very limited deer district. I hope to see him or another again.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lookie here: Chef Mcgannon himself in the most recent issue of MDF talking dry-aging. He’s the guy I mentioned earlier in the thread:

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK I’m butchering up the last of my buck. It is December 22 and I shot him on November 25, so about 27 days of aging.

I gave Corey half the buck last week after it had aged 18 days, and he reported some good eatin’. He told me earlier he expected my buck to be raunchy due to being in the rut and an older buck. I was careful to keep the nasty body fluids away from the meat and of course this whole aging process helps a ton. That’s why when I hear people say rutting bucks don’t taste good, I have to wonder how they’re taking care of the meat. In my adult life, I’ve never had a bad one, even during the rut.

This is what it looks like ideally if you’re able to keep your humidity right, they’ll be some mold but not a ton. You can see the dry layer, I’ll need to trim off, but underneath that is the good stuff.

266c31dbd3739f22b0c9557f6e522d28.jpg

ffe5261c8ed4b36f77bddbe70c755095.jpg

Don’t forget if you try this, you have to keep your internal meat temperature between 33 and 40° the entire aging process. If not, you will spoil the meat above 40, or it won’t age properly below 33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: