Late Season Oklahoma Archery Whitetail

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I posted a while back about trying to plan DIY spot and stalk trip and trying to figure out which state. Well I think me and my hunting partner have decided on Oklahoma. The only problem is we won’t be able to go until the week between Christmas and new year’s this year due to other hunts/commitments. We are mainly looking a hunting Sandy Saunders and trying to do it spot and stalk. We plan on glassing river bottom/creek areas and focusing on food sources. Anyone have any info they would be willing to share about hunting Oklahoma late season. We know this isn’t prime time to go but are more so looking to get some stalking practice and shoot a couple of does. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Holiday antlerless is 12/18-12/31 so unless you find an archery only WMA you’ll be dealing with rifle hunters as well.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Holiday antlerless is 12/18-12/31 so unless you find an archery only WMA you’ll be dealing with rifle hunters as well.
From What I understand on Oklahomas website is that Sandy Saunders is closed to rifle hunting and closed to holiday antlerless deer.

LostArra

WKR
Most deer in Oklahoma are killed by crossbow or rifle hunters sitting a ground blind next to a corn feeder on private land. You will have fun that week at Sandy Saunders. I enjoy hunting that time of year. The weather can vary a lot and the deer seem to be settling down after the firearms assault ends Dec 4.

Don't forget to wear orange, at least a hat. Orange is required if a firearm season is open anywhere.

Honyock

WKR
Sandy Saunders is closed for hunting during gun season and holiday antlerless deer gun. Holiday antlerless gun season is 12/18 - 12/31. I'm not for sure if you can bow hunt during holiday antlerless season. I would call the Wildlife Department to confirm.

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted there last year. Saw quite a few deer, but the hunting is extremely tough. If you aren’t familiar with west Texas/Oklahoma mesquite/juniper brush, it’s pretty gnarly stuff. I attached a pic for reference. There is thick thick cover in the low areas along creeks/drainages and the deer we saw were on their feet moving from cover to cover. If you’re e-scouting, spots you think will be glassing points probably won’t be when you get there; we learned this lesson the hard way. A lot of the high spots are nearly straight drop offs 30-40’ and most are a long walk to get to and off of to make a stalk. With deer always on the move you end up chasing your tail. Trying to spot them on a bed is tough or nearly impossible with the brush as thick as it. You’re best bet will be to glass a drainage for several days to pattern the deer in that drainage, then position yourself along their travel corridor for an ambush after watching them 3-4 days. Trying to get in, find a deer, and lay down a stalk in a couple days is pretty tough. If we go back, we’ll be spending a week maybe 10 days to try and get a couple deer bagged.

I’m about 3 hours from Sanders. Not sure where you are coming from but we’re in an extreme drought in this part of the country. Talking to the biologist there last year, they had a moderate drought and it hunt the deer population on the WMA. This year is probably worse. Based on this and some other factors, my brother and I scrubbed our trip to Sanders for this year and are looking at other options. If you go, you’ll see frustratingly large numbers of deer on private surrounding the WMA as you drive in and out…like groups of 5-15+ deer at a time. Might be worth door knocking paying a little trespass fee, and setting up on private land.

Hope this doesn’t come off as Debbie downer trying to run you off public land. I came from out of state to hunt and this is my assessment. It’s a neat place but the hunting is tough.

Attachments

• 79B9EE17-3391-4A15-8750-FF92D9B9CE6E.jpeg
    79B9EE17-3391-4A15-8750-FF92D9B9CE6E.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Well been a while since ive posted in here. Life and work have gotten in the way of planning this trip but I got back into it over the holiday weekend. After what was said here and from what ive found on the OK website, I think we are going to switch gears and focus on some OLAP land in the northwest corner of the state (not panhandle) around Freedom, OK. With it being so late in the season I figured hunting close to winter wheat fields would probably be a good idea. The plan is to glass from the road and from some higher spots focusing on thick creek bottoms close to wheat fields. One question I have is with the drought that OK has been going through what are the wheat crops looking like and is there anything I should focus on in particular? Thanks guys.

Well been a while since ive posted in here. Life and work have gotten in the way of planning this trip but I got back into it over the holiday weekend. After what was said here and from what ive found on the OK website, I think we are going to switch gears and focus on some OLAP land in the northwest corner of the state (not panhandle) around Freedom, OK. With it being so late in the season I figured hunting close to winter wheat fields would probably be a good idea. The plan is to glass from the road and from some higher spots focusing on thick creek bottoms close to wheat fields. One question I have is with the drought that OK has been going through what are the wheat crops looking like and is there anything I should focus on in particular? Thanks guys.
This is a good plan. Most wheat hasn't been planted yet but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It'll come up with a little bit of moisture and even if there is just a little bit of wheat, the deer will be on it. You can see a long ways in that country so you'll have a good hunt.

We haven’t received much rain yet, the wheat will more than likely be short and thin… but should have some stands in the next few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else have any tips for glassing/hunting this type of country? Im assuming deer will be on a pretty good bed to feed pattern this time of year. General idea would be glass as much from the road/higher areas close to road, as we can where wheat fields and thick bottom cover meet. Is there anything else you guys think I need to focus on?

Anyone else have any tips for glassing/hunting this type of country? Im assuming deer will be on a pretty good bed to feed pattern this time of year. General idea would be glass as much from the road/higher areas close to road, as we can where wheat fields and thick bottom cover meet. Is there anything else you guys think I need to focus on?

Watch moon phase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlas9214

FNG
Did you have any luck? This has been on my radar for awhile as well considering I’m also in Oklahoma and my work schedule hurts my hunting season. Congrats on the baby!