Late Season Sheep Gear

Dust1n

FNG
Let’s Talk Late Season Sheep Gear

What brand of snow shoes have you found to stand up in the mountain terrains?

Anything extra to pack?

Puffy Pants
Snow Goggles
Ice Pick
Etc

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Journal of mountain hunting had a good write up about winter mountain goat hunting. You might find something there.

tuffcity

WKR
I've been using the MSR lightening ascent "misery slippers" for trapping and bison hunting. So far no complaints!

Freeride

FNG
I pack a black diamond raven ice axe. It's really lightweight and gives me some security when crossing slippery snow sections.

mtnkid85

WKR
Yea, I had good luck with the MSR lightenings. Its been quite a while since Ive looked at snow shoes though.
Puffy pants- yes, if your going to do any amount of sitting still. Everything else depends on the conditions and terrain you'll be in. Are you going to be above timberline? Sun protection is important up high in the snow, but I generally prefer a good fitting set of glasses with side guards to goggles.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Most important thing you can bring is strong mental
Fortitude. Don’t b-tch out. Idk anything about hunting over there in October but if it’s anything like AK in November, just don’t be soft and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dust1n

Dust1n

FNG
If History repeats itself to the exact area we will be going there will be snow. 200lb male with 65lbs on your back with hiking shoes in even 6” isn’t the funniest.
Iv hiked through snow with a light hiking back pack shed hunting and to add a considerable amount of weight I’d like to have the snowshoes along for my own comfort. Not mention if we do have an early winter this year I will be prepared

ljalberta

WKR
I’d recommend better boots and gaiters, and maybe some micro spikes, before I did snow shoes in October in Canmore. Do you have experience snowshoeing in the mountains when the snowpack hasn’t significantly formed?

If they work for you, that’s excellent, but I just think there are better solutions based on my experience.

Akirie

FNG
I agree with forgoing snowshoes until the snow is deep or you are post holing. Boots and gaiters! Snow conditions usually dictate for me- depth, dryness, freeze/thaw crust, etc.

Nobody wants to carry the suckers. The small and light ones have their place. But if you know you are getting into extended snowshoeing, and headed uphill, heel lifters are key.

I also like my black diamond whippet for some wintery adventures with a heavy pack.

Freeride

FNG
Do you live close to the area? If it's still safe with avalanche conditions try to go out there this weekend. That will let you know what you need a lot better then the internet will.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
Akirie said to make sure to get the heal lifters! I second that they are a game changer that little change in foot position will save your calves if you are doing any climbing with them on!

Ram94

WKR
Dustin, I’ll also say to ditch the snow shoes. I’ve hunted the closer a few times with knee deep snow and it is tough but most snow shoes are not rated for 260+ lbs so they won’t make life easier. You’d need a 36” or larger snow shoe to keep you floating and at that point, they will be more of a hinderance compared to just plodding through with your boots.

Dustin, I’ll also say to ditch the snow shoes. I’ve hunted the closer a few times with knee deep snow and it is tough but most snow shoes are not rated for 260+ lbs so they won’t make life easier. You’d need a 36” or larger snow shoe to keep you floating and at that point, they will be more of a hinderance compared to just plodding through with your boots.

Exactly. 36x10 inch Sherpas are great for April brown bear hunts and April grizzly bear hunts, but would be a royal pain in the ass for the light fluffy snow of October/November, with a fully loaded hunting pack on your back.