Late Season Washington Bears

A friend and I got a good tip on a location of some bears here in Washington. I'm a pretty new bear hunter and wonder if anyone has any tips, advice or guidance for chasing bears this late in the season. Baiting is not allowed in Washington.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have had good success this time of year getting them to respond to predator calls. I set up within close proximity to fresh sign and use a fawn in distress or rabbit in distress call. I use an e caller because you have to keep them interested they will stop coming if you stop calling too long. I call for a minute and stop for one. If they haven't showed in 45 I move on to the next spot.

A friend and I got a good tip on a location of some bears here in Washington. I'm a pretty new bear hunter and wonder if anyone has any tips, advice or guidance for chasing bears this late in the season. Baiting is not allowed in Washington.

Are you on the East or west side of the state?

I think Justin’s suggestion is a good strategy. Bear are all about food right now, which can help a lot or be very frustrating… food can be hard to run down this time of year. If you are on the west side, look around grown up clear cuts for blue huckleberry, there are still pockets of good blue huckleberry, it’s my favorite late season bear food source.

if you are not right on the coast, and have lots of oak or myrtle, they will be hitting acorns… acorns are in the trees and is a very broad food source, so it can be tough to find an acorn eater, but you will be able to locate sign and call.

it gets tougher late season, but find a good food source, and you may find multiple bear hitting it… if you do some calling, make sure you have a lion tag

OP
S
Are you on the East or west side of the state?

I think Justin’s suggestion is a good strategy. Bear are all about food right now, which can help a lot or be very frustrating… food can be hard to run down this time of year. If you are on the west side, look around grown up clear cuts for blue huckleberry, there are still pockets of good blue huckleberry, it’s my favorite late season bear food source.

if you are not right on the coast, and have lots of oak or myrtle, they will be hitting acorns… acorns are in the trees and is a very broad food source, so it can be tough to find an acorn eater, but you will be able to locate sign and call.

it gets tougher late season, but find a good food source, and you may find multiple bear hitting it… if you do some calling, make sure you have a lion tag
Thanks for the tips. We are on the east side. Will definitely make sure I have my cougar tag with me.

OP
S
I have had good success this time of year getting them to respond to predator calls. I set up within close proximity to fresh sign and use a fawn in distress or rabbit in distress call. I use an e caller because you have to keep them interested they will stop coming if you stop calling too long. I call for a minute and stop for one. If they haven't showed in 45 I move on to the next spot.
I didn't not know until today that you could use an e-caller for bears in Washington. We'll definitely try this strategy. Thank you.