Late season waterfowl tactics - Idaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering what are some late season tactics for waterfowl that I might be overlooking? Hunting on bigger water, river or reservoir. Later in the season I usually try to use less decoys, maybe 12-18. Also try to add some motion, agitator decoy, jerk rig. Lately birds dont seem to be even giving my spread a chance. Flaring or veering off from a ways away.

How’s your hide/blind situation? How pressured are they? Are you hunting a good wind? Are they over called. A lot of variables play into it. What birds are flying? Are you trying to target diver or puddlers. Setting a larger “raft” spread could give them confidence on that larger water.

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
How’s your hide/blind situation? How pressured are they? Are you hunting a good wind? Are they over called. A lot of variables play into it. What birds are flying? Are you trying to target diver or puddlers. Setting a larger “raft” spread could give them confidence on that larger water.
The blind depends on which spot we are at but most have good cover
what is considered a good wind? Most days there is some wind. Targeting puddle ducks and see them flying. There is pressure, probably over called.
what do you mean by "raft" spread?

KurtR

WKR
late season i think big spreads. How many spinners do you have out do you have them on remotes to turn them on and off. The most important are you where the ducks want to be. Calling just remember tips and tails other wise be quiet

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
late season i think big spreads. How many spinners do you have out do you have them on remotes to turn them on and off. The most important are you where the ducks want to be. Calling just remember tips and tails other wise be quiet
I will try a bigger spread this weekend. I have 2 spinners but haven’t been using them. Lots of wind and snow this week so hopefully it brings some new birds in the area

WCB

WKR
Are you strictly using floaters or a mix. Are you also including some goose decoys. Is there a possibility of adding a few dozen snow and blue decoys....something most guys probably arent using?

Also, in general are you doing a typical morning sunrise hunt then bailing out late morning?

huntnful

WKR
The main thing that really matters, is being where the birds want to be in the first place.

If you’re on the X, and hidden, it’s pretty easy to kill them. Besides snow geese. They can be a pain in the ass lol.

But ducks and geese in general are pretty easy to kill, when you are where they want to be anyways. Motion in the water on a calm day is better than any spinner you can buy though.

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Are you strictly using floaters or a mix. Are you also including some goose decoys. Is there a possibility of adding a few dozen snow and blue decoys....something most guys probably arent using?

Also, in general are you doing a typical morning sunrise hunt then bailing out late morning?
Floaters and I have mixed geese in the past but haven’t this year. Usually hunt til the afternoon. Going to try an evening hunt this weekend tho.

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
The main thing that really matters, is being where the birds want to be in the first place.

If you’re on the X, and hidden, it’s pretty easy to kill them. Besides snow geese. They can be a pain in the ass lol.

But ducks and geese in general are pretty easy to kill, when you are where they want to be anyways. Motion in the water on a calm day is better than any spinner you can buy though.
Temps have dropped here and small water should be freezing up. Hopefully find some new birds in the area

Dukhtr3

FNG
Late season ducks I do big spreads. 6 to 10 dozen. Also scout twice as much as u hunt. Find the ducks and hunt the x.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Late season ducks I do big spreads. 6 to 10 dozen. Also scout twice as much as u hunt. Find the ducks and hunt the x.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Looks like I’m buying more decoys!

Redrice

FNG
Wondering what are some late season tactics for waterfowl that I might be overlooking? Hunting on bigger water, river or reservoir. Later in the season I usually try to use less decoys, maybe 12-18. Also try to add some motion, agitator decoy, jerk rig. Lately birds dont seem to be even giving my spread a chance. Flaring or veering off from a ways away.
In southern BC, late birds too always seem a little suspicious but a large spread works better for us too. a couple of dozen slightly elevated staked decoys that catch the breeze add a little realism and bring them closer

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes when the birds seem spread shy I will set the bulk of my spread down wind of me by about 100 yards. Then a few goose decoys and a jerk rig of duck decoys infront of myself. Around here spinners seem to lessen their effectiveness as the season goes on unless fresh birds are in or you have a remote to shut them off. However ripples and movement in the water certainly helps. I also wade or otherwise stirr up the bottom in low current flow areas to better replicate the disturbance feeding and loafing birds cause.

johnsd16

WKR
This year has been kind of tough in the panhandle IMO. Birds are super super stale. Birds moved in with the calendar but then no weather pushes. The longer they are in the same area the harder they are to kill. Where they want to be becomes very hard to impact (can’t run traffic or convince them to check you out).

Doing something different than everyone else, adding motion, bigger spreads, smaller spreads, different species (run all geese and widgeon, coots, etc) can help but when birds are stale the first 9 things on the top 10 list of things to do is location and then hide has to be perfect.

Overall just a tough year with not much moving of birds and suboptimal weather

CorbLand

WKR
One state south of you. It’s been a rough year with no birds. I bet I have put 600 plus miles on looking for them and we have put together one good hunt.

Late season, big spreads and a good hide is the best for us. Find birds, watch them and see what they are doing. That’s a big key to killing them. How are they landing, which direction, what birds are with them, etc.

Bachto

WKR
I am in eastern Washington. I agree with a lot of the above. When hunting big water you need a big spread. I have learned motion on the water is VITAL. making ripples when there are no ripples will change your success. Usually I only call to get there attention and then shut-up. Calling them into the spread is harder this time of year.