Late September bugles

Hunttex

FNG
So my first post was a big NO-NO. I mentioned specific units and what not. Lol. My bad guys. So maybe I can get some questions answered by wording them better. So I’m headed to Colorado for my 2nd elk hunt last week of September this year. I had originally wanted to go earlier but with work schedules and not wanting to go during muzzleloader season I decided to go right after ML seasons ends. In general for most OTC units are bulls still cranking up for the rut during this time. Or do they experience too much pressure and not respond well to calling? Would you say that majority of hunters will go earlier in the season and be gone by then or is there pretty much the same number of people hunting every week of September? Nothing will change my plans just curious of what I might expect

So my first post was a big NO-NO. I mentioned specific units and what not. Lol. My bad guys. So maybe I can get some questions answered by wording them better. So I’m headed to Colorado for my 2nd elk hunt last week of September this year. I had originally wanted to go earlier but with work schedules and not wanting to go during muzzleloader season I decided to go right after ML seasons ends. In general for most OTC units are bulls still cranking up for the rut during this time. Or do they experience too much pressure and not respond well to calling? Would you say that majority of hunters will go earlier in the season and be gone by then or is there pretty much the same number of people hunting every week of September? Nothing will change my plans just curious of what I might expect

If elk are in the area, and they are rutting, they will respond. If they are heavily pressured, and not responding, I go find elk in the unpressured areas. And these could be the same elk that someone else pressured out of another area. Point being, elk are elk and will behave like elk. Even if guys are claiming elk are "call shy" ;)

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
There are so many factors, most of which I can only guess; weather, seasonal moisture, hunting pressure, etc. I've heard an absolute bugle-fest on Sept. 2nd and shot a bull. We had several elk surrounding a meadow bugling, at least five. Heck, one bull approached us to about 10' when we were butchering my elk! I've also been with a buddy on the last weekend of the archery season and got into a bugling bull and his harem.

The early season bull was in a fight or f*** mood and came straight to me. The late season bull wanted nothing to do with us and we chased him for close to five hours before @atfrith shot a cow out of the herd.

I don't like the expressions, "It is what it is", & "Elk are where you find them". But, there's a lot of truth to both.

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
If elk are in the area, and they are rutting, they will respond. If they are heavily pressured, and not responding, I go find elk in the unpressured areas. And these could be the same elk that someone else pressured out of another area. Point being, elk are elk and will behave like elk. Even if guys are claiming elk are "call shy" ;)

so would you say that otc units are equally as crowded with hunters every week of September? Or do you think majority of guys try to hunt early for the “unpressured” elk. I know elk will be elk, not so much worried about that. Or in your opinion is there a more popular week for otc hunters?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When the elk have been pressured for the entire season already like in an OTC unit, the bulls may not be sounding off on their own. But if you're a decent caller you can get them going. I seriously think most hunters just wander around waiting for the bulls to sound off and then come home saying that the elk just weren't talking when they didn't hear any.

When the elk have been pressured for the entire season already like in an OTC unit, the bulls may not be sounding off on their own. But if you're a decent caller you can get them going. I seriously think most hunters just wander around waiting for the bulls to sound off and then come home saying that the elk just weren't talking when they didn't hear any.

One thing I have noticed, and I first saw in CO, heavily pressured OTC, and see the same thing here in NM where pressure may be minimal, is elk are talking the entire month of September. If you aren't hearing or seeing them, you have to move until you find them. Although "my" preferred method is for the elk to find me ;)

If guys aren't hearing or seeing them, it's up to the hunter to figure it out. Oft times when everything else fails, you have to go with yur gut.

so would you say that otc units are equally as crowded with hunters every week of September? Or do you think majority of guys try to hunt early for the “unpressured” elk. I know elk will be elk, not so much worried about that. Or in your opinion is there a more popular week for otc hunters?

Locals will find a way to hunt every day of the hunt in an OTC unit. And I don't blame them. They have a good understanding of the land, and where the elk escape to when the pressure starts. Savy hunters will figure that part out. If I lived in or near an OTC unit, I would too!

Incidentally, I will be working in CO in August and for the next year, and with the elkwoods only being 30 minutes away from the job, and have 3-5 hours of daylight left after work, my goal is to hunt every single day. My travel trailer will be smack dab in the middle of elk country.

The later the season, the more pressure. But that's when the action can be the hottest 😉

Last edited: