Latest/Greatest Sleeping Pad

Scoot

WKR
I haven't been in the market for a sleeping pad for quite a while. I've got an Xtherm and I've generally been happy with it. I'm looking for something that has decent r value, is about 3" thick, and is as light as possible. Anything new and exciting that I should be made aware of that is now on the market?
Thanks in advance!

WRM

WKR
Interested in responses. I have two Xtherms and have not had an issue with them or with sufficient insulation from them. But I too have not looked in a long time.

Ram94

WKR
From your description I would say stick with the Xtherm. Any reason in particular you are looking for a change?

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
I'm not going to change-- I forgot to mention I need to get a 2nd pad this year since my son will be coming on his first elk hunt. I have a 2nd bag, but not a 2nd pad. Figured I'd get something I can use on some trips too so I can mix and match a bit. I've got a WM Badger and an Xtherm for my main combo, but also have a 20 degree Slick (that my son will be in this year). I just need another pad...

Ram94

WKR
Yeah, from the research I've done it still looks like the Xtherm is king. (on paper anyways) I have been using the regular tapered version for a couple seasons and am just waiting on a MAX large to show up. I think the extra space will be worth the few ounces.

WRM

WKR
I'm using the Exped Downmat HL Winter MW (R-value: 7) which is very comparable to the Xtherm. I found the Xtherm too loud and not as comfortable as Exped's offering.

Interesting on the "too loud", which is a fairly frequent complaint in reviews. I just don't have that perception at all, though it is a bit "noisier" than other pads I've used. I don't notice any noise once I'm asleep, which usually doesn't take very long. Maybe if you have to roll around a lot before you can get to sleep, it could be an issue for some.

I don’t know what temps you might be facing, but you could always go with an XLite. Still has an RValue of around a 4 (I think), but a little lighter, might be a nice compliment to what you already have.

Interesting on the "too loud", which is a fairly frequent complaint in reviews. I just don't have that perception at all, though it is a bit "noisier" than other pads I've used. I don't notice any noise once I'm asleep, which usually doesn't take very long. Maybe if you have to roll around a lot before you can get to sleep, it could be an issue for some.

Yeah -- it's a moot point for most people. I'm not a great sleeper and am definitely sensitive to noise, tend to move around a lot, etc. IIRC, the Exped is an inch thicker (3.5" compared to 2.5") and very comparable weight wise. I found it alot more comfortable.

To boot, I have had amazing customer service experiences with them. My friends dog sliced one of my Exped pads open, and in one instance I got my pad too close to my tipi stove which melted the adhesive. In both cases they replaced them no questions asked. Just a great company.

WRM

WKR
Sounds like the Exped is a good contender then, if you can sleep on a tapered pad. I find that challenging, personally.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Expeds feel like sleeping on a pool float to me. One day I'll give them another shake, but they just don't check the comfort box for me, and all of their comparable pads to an Xtherm are heavier. Same goes with the S2S pads. They are pretty comfortable, just heavy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR

The noise is not really a problem when you are solo, but if you are sharing a tent with someone who has one of those pads it can be a PITA. Especially if they are restless sleepers. Every single slight move or roll they make…. So, so loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WRM

WKR
The noise is not really a problem when you are solo, but if you are sharing a tent with someone who has one of those pads it can be a PITA. Especially if they are restless sleepers. Every single slight move or roll they make…. So, so loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which is my situation--solo. I take foam earplugs regardless. Can't stand constant wind flap on whatever happens to be loose.

Last edited:

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the Exped is a good contender then, if you can sleep on a tapered pad. I find that challenging, personally.
If you want rectangle then get the SynMat UL Winter r5 (or DownMat UL Winter for max Rvalue = r7).

mlgc20

WKR
From a weight and performance perspective, don't think you can beat the Xtherm. But for regular 3 season use, I strongly prefer my Big Agnes Q-Core SLX. Not as much R-value as the Xtherm. But, much more comfortable IMO.

WRM

WKR
From a weight and performance perspective, don't think you can beat the Xtherm. But for regular 3 season use, I strongly prefer my Big Agnes Q-Core SLX. Not as much R-value as the Xtherm. But, much more comfortable IMO.

And I certainly won't argue the Xtherm is the most comfortable pad. If you don't need the Rs, I'm quite sure you can find multiple better contenders for comfort. When I use a pad, it's cold, and I'm thankful for every R I've got.

mlgc20

WKR
And I certainly won't argue the Xtherm is the most comfortable pad. If you don't need the Rs, I'm quite sure you can find multiple better contenders for comfort. When I use a pad, it's cold, and I'm thankful for every R I've got.
Agreed. If you're winter/cold weather backpacking, the Xtherm is in a class by itself. I use my BA pad through about mid-October (Colorado first rifle). Then I move to the Xtherm for the rest of the Fall/Winter. And if I could only have one pad, it would be the Xtherm.

HuntnPack

WKR
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad.
Quiet, warm, very comfortable, decent R value rating, good size, thickness, & weight.
great value 3 season pad.