Latest on corner crossing

Are those fences new or is that a different corner? The bastard is really pushing it if they are new.

I have a question....A favorable ruling for the hunters in the civil case would not set precedent. Correct?

• Banned
OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Are those fences new or is that a different corner? The bastard is really pushing it if they are new.
Different corner but the locks and chains were removed from the actual corner. That was in testimony at the criminal trial.

• Banned
OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
I have a question....A favorable ruling for the hunters in the civil case would not set precedent. Correct?
Incorrect, talked today with the attorney arguing the civil case. As of now it's in federal court.

Even a dismissal will set precedent. We hired the right guy to argue this case...of that I have zero doubt.

Incorrect, talked today with the attorney arguing the civil case. As of now it's in federal court.

Even a dismissal will set precedent. We hired the right guy to argue this case...of that I have zero doubt.
Interesting thanks for the clarification...Must be the difference between Federal and State court. If the plaintiff withdraws the case then no precedent will be set? I appreciate the feedback just trying to understand all the angles.

• Banned
OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Interesting thanks for the clarification...Must be the difference between Federal and State court. If the plaintiff withdraws the case then no precedent will be set? I appreciate the feedback just trying to understand all the angles.
I believe that's correct. But, if the case stays in federal court and the judge dismissed the case, there would be an opinion why. That would most likely be because there was no trespassing that took place crossing from one piece of public to another piece of public.

At that point corner crossing would be legal in Wyoming is my understanding from what we talked about with the attorney today.

Long way to go yet, but I'm feeling confident.

“A private landowner with half the ownership of a corner should not have a veto over access by the owner of the other half of the corner — namely the government, and by extension, its citizens,”

That was well said.
Damn right it was. It should be open to everyone or no one at all. Especially the garbage person land owner. Not even trying to hide my vitriol here. I’ve been pissed about these dirt bags since the late 90’s.

Damn right it was. It should be open to everyone or no one at all. Especially the garbage person land owner. Not even trying to hide my vitriol here. I’ve been pissed about these dirt bags since the late 90’s.
Easy big fella . I hear they're pushing to build "jump ramps "on corners for ebikes for those without ladders in this case . Everyone should be good .lol

Buzz, any estimation total acres that would opened up in Wyoming if they win or even nationwide(federal land)? It's gotta be huge. I assume most is BLM lands. It would be amazing if this set a precedent and became LEGAL. I'm sure nationwide If guy where to look there are tons of state and county public land with similar "corner crossing " issues. There is a spot where I bowhunt here that is on "county" land with a corner issue. Maybe consider all the new open land for a "special non -resident only " hunting area. Just a thought . Good luck

Oops thought the article was done read further. 8.3 million acres potentially open American west. 2.44 million in Wyoming. Wonder what the size of Rhode Island is ? That's usually the scale

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
This whole corner crossing deal pisses me off! I’ve always been one to try and look at both sides, and I understand and respect ranchers have a right to protect their property. But in this case and many others like it, they are doing nothing but trying deny the public, access to public land, period! Why are they doing this?? Because for many many years, before Onx and other similar apps, they could post it as private and keep people out so that they could hunt and guide other hunters on prime public land.

I’ll admit, I crossed a corner this year on a Barbary sheep hunt for my son. At this corner there were absolutely no fences! Zero fences! And no indication that their had ever been a fence here, EVER! The landowner had taken five t-posts and put them where the fence corner would be if there were fences there. He then took four 25’ joints of sucker rod and wired them to the t-posts to make a corner of a non-existing fence. I’d guess it was probably 5-1/2’, maybe 6’ tall which made it very difficult and dangerous to climb over. We had hiked about 2 miles across public land to get to this corner and I wasn’t going to hike back out and let the landowner win.

I’d like to know if his “corner” was even in the correct spot. Did the landowner have it surveyed just for this reason, or did he just guess or go off of where Onx said the corner was? Idk for sure, but that would’ve been my first question had he confronted us. We went in and hunted and came back out without any problems, but it sucks having that BS in the back of your mind while you’re trying to enjoy a hunt with your 14 yr old son.

It would be nice to finally have some clarity on this.