Lathrop and Sons Encompass Boot Review **Updated 2/7/22**

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be testing out the new Mountain Hunter ENCOMPASS boots from Lathrop and Sons. I recently received the imprints to start the custom boot system. I followed the instructions, took the required prints and the required photos and sent it all back. The ENCOMPASS is the newest boot offered by Lathrop and Sons which is supposed to fill a void in their Mountain Hunter series of boots. I plan on wearing the boots from the time I get them all the way into December and possibly January.

I will be testing:
  • Build Quality/Durability
  • Comfort
  • How well they handle water and snow.
  • How well the custom system help ease my foot pain.
  • And more.
It is important to note that I have had arch pain, the balls of my feet typically hurt, and my heels slip in a lot of boots. I had custom insoles made for my feet and they didn't really help. So I will do my best to give input on this custom system helping the issues mentioned above and also putting the boot to the test.

***Update 2/7/22*** Lathrop and Sons Encompass Boot Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I will be testing out the new Mountain Hunter ENCOMPASS boots from Lathrop and Sons. I recently received the imprints to start the custom boot system. I followed the instructions, took the required prints and the required photos and sent it all back. The ENCOMPASS is the newest boot offered by Lathrop and Sons which is supposed to fill a void in their Mountain Hunter series of boots. I plan on wearing the boots from the time I get them all the way into December and possibly January.

I will be testing:
  • Build Quality/Durability
  • Comfort
  • How well they handle water and snow.
  • How well the custom system help ease my foot pain.
  • And more.
It is important to note that I have had arch pain, the balls of my feet typically hurt, and my heels slip in a lot of boots. I had custom insoles made for my feet and they didn't really help. So I will do my best to give input on this custom system helping the issues mentioned above and also putting the boot to the test.

Is there any ideas, questions, or anything else you would like me to address in the review?

@robby denning

You’ll probably like the results of the custom service. If L&S can’t get a boot to fit, you might be in trouble. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to get your thoughts. Hopefully they have the boots. I did my imprints and tracing in December. Finally second week of July James called and said he had my boots. Those were too small so currently awaiting the next size up. The day after I discussed fit of the first pair the encompass was released. That boot fits my needs and use a little better. I considered calling back to see how that boot might fit and if it was an option. Didn’t do it but really interested to get your thoughts on the full process of the custom boot system and how the encompass compares to other boots you have or have used.
So far the jury is still out for me. We will see how this next pair fits.

fishslap

WKR
Zach, if you know you’re going to go with the encompass, why pay for the custom boot system? You’re going to get the factory boots and a gel insole. The only custom part might be a strip of material glued to the bottom in the arch area.

Zach, if you know you’re going to go with the encompass, why pay for the custom boot system? You’re going to get the factory boots and a gel insole. The only custom part might be a strip of material glued to the bottom in the arch area.
Good point here.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Interested to get your thoughts. Hopefully they have the boots. I did my imprints and tracing in December. Finally second week of July James called and said he had my boots. Those were too small so currently awaiting the next size up. The day after I discussed fit of the first pair the encompass was released. That boot fits my needs and use a little better. I considered calling back to see how that boot might fit and if it was an option. Didn’t do it but really interested to get your thoughts on the full process of the custom boot system and how the encompass compares to other boots you have or have used.

I’m thinking you should give James a call. Otherwise you’re gonna have buyers remorse right out of the gate.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hey brother. I don’t think that’s totally true. When I was running the tech light hunters. L&S molded my boots to fit my platypus feet. (4E wide) and the fit was a lot better than what I had had in previous hiking boots. They were always too narrow, even when ordered wide.

fishslap

WKR
Hey brother. I don’t think that’s totally true. When I was running the tech light hunters. L&S molded my boots to fit my platypus feet. (4E wide) and the fit was a lot better than what I had had in previous hiking boots. They were always too narrow, even when ordered wide.

My experience was different than yours then. I have a fallen arch in my right foot from a sports injury which has caused that foot to be longer and have a higher volume than my left foot, among other issues. I did the custom system and nothing was customized except changing out the boot and then telling me to go buy dr scholls heal lifts inserts.
Not only did I do the custom system, but i had a work trip to Indianapolis and coordinated with them to do the carbon copy prints and pictures in person at their office. This was an hour or more out of my way. That’s how invested I was in getting this right. No boot customization was done. Maybe they felt my lopsided feet didn’t need it. I’m glad it worked out for you.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Copy I will keep you updated!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
After discussing my feet issues with Stephen he said we should do the imprints and build custom insoles for me so that is what we moved forward with.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My experience was different than yours then. I have a fallen arch in my right foot from a sports injury which has caused that foot to be longer and have a higher volume than my left foot, among other issues. I did the custom system and nothing was customized except changing out the boot and then telling me to go buy dr scholls heal lifts inserts.
Not only did I do the custom system, but i had a work trip to Indianapolis and coordinated with them to do the carbon copy prints and pictures in person at their office. This was an hour or more out of my way. That’s how invested I was in getting this right. No boot customization was done. Maybe they felt my lopsided feet didn’t need it. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Hi again, I read your reply carefully and this is not the service that they provide with customs.

I reached out to Stephen. He would like your phone number so he can call and discuss this matter with you and make it right if something wasn’t done properly.

You could just PM number/name to me if you’d like to talk to him directly. Thanks!

fishslap

WKR
Hi again, I read your reply carefully and this is not the service that they provide with customs.

I reached out to Stephen. He would like your phone number so he can call and discuss this matter with you and make it right if something wasn’t done properly.

You could just PM number/name to me if you’d like to talk to him directly. Thanks!

Done. Pm sent. It was the custom boot system, not just buying boots and custom insoles.

WRM

WKR
I'm lucky to not have any major foot fit issues (flat arches about it). I have their insulated and un-insulated boot and love them. I was super impressed by the personal follow up they gave on the boots and my fit, even though I did nothing more than just buy the boots and their insoles. Given their company and motivations to connect with the hunting crowd, I'd be surprised if they didn't go out of their way to make sure they addressed any legitimate issue brought to their attention.

I look forward to the Encompass review here. My finger has already hovered over the buy now button a couple of times.

WRM

WKR
I've been using the Naglev boot this year and have been really impressed with it. The Encompass strikes me as a similar build, but a "bit more" if that makes sense. I really want to try a pair, but I have so many boots already I can only justify it if the review here blows me away. I wait with anticipation.

Opus56

FNG
I have the Lathrop Mountain Hunters w/ a lot of miles on them. Started looking at getting another pair of boots and decided to try another brand and something lighter (Hanwag Makra Combi).

The Makra's are much lighter...no question there, but when I put one Hanwag and one Lathrop on, the rocker cam midsole in the Lathrop's is so noticable and so much more comfortable when walking. That said, I'm going to find a new home for the Makra's and get he new Encompass.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Lathrop Mountain Hunters w/ a lot of miles on them. Started looking at getting another pair of boots and decided to try another brand and something lighter (Hanwag Makra Combi).

The Makra's are much lighter...no question there, but when I put one Hanwag and one Lathrop on, the rocker cam midsole in the Lathrop's is so noticable and so much more comfortable when walking. That said, I'm going to find a new home for the Makra's and get he new Encompass.

That’s a great side-by-side right there.

Let us know on here what you think of the Encompass

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wanted to update the thread. The boots arrived yesterday. They look to have solid construction, are comfortable for the first impression, not overly heavy, not a super stiff sole, and overall all are a good looking boot. For the first hunt in them, I will be taking them on an 8 day elk hunt. The custom synergy footbeds have not arrived due to materials on back order so I have just the regular footbeds in the boots. I think this will really give me the opportunity to speak to the difference that the custom footbeds make. Stay tuned for more updates throughout the season and a video overviewing my whole experience when season is over (December/January) time frame.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to update the thread. The boots arrived yesterday. They look to have solid construction, are comfortable for the first impression, not overly heavy, not a super stiff sole, and overall all are a good looking boot. For the first hunt in them, I will be taking them on an 8 day elk hunt. The custom synergy footbeds have not arrived due to materials on back order so I have just the regular footbeds in the boots. I think this will really give me the opportunity to speak to the difference that the custom footbeds make. Stay tuned for more updates throughout the season and a video overviewing my whole experience when season is over (December/January) time frame.
Looking forward to the review! Thanks Zach

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
So you did the custom build, and they went ahead and sent you the boots minus the custom footbeds? I'm still waiting on an email or call from my inquiry 5 days ago about the Encompass. Not getting a great first impression on the customer service end but I'm interested in hearing how it all comes together for you and what you think of them after getting some miles on them, please update this when you can! Thanks for doing the review!