Lathrop and sons experience?

Hi, I'm wanting to hear if anyone has had experience with the L&S mountain hunter boots. Can't find many reviews online that aren't revolving around their custom fitting, insoles, and aren't paid sponsorships(rokslide zach;). So let me know. Waterproofness? durability?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well I own the place so you might not want my opinion but ask around I have no problem saying I don't like something, paid sponsor or not.

I have the mountain hunters I have used them a lot over the last two years. Durability has been fantastic and they haven't leaked on me yet. What I don't like about them is the weight, they are also on the verge of being to Stiff for my needs. If I could change one thing I would like them an inch taller. There CS is top shelf.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with Ryan on their CS. Also, agree that the boots are pretty stiff and a little short.

I had a pair of the Mountain Hunters, within one season the seam by the heel blew out on both boots. Sent some pictures in, got a return label, sent them in, a few days later I had new boots. Ended up selling them pretty much right away, because I was worried of a repeat performance.

I am guessing I just got a bad pair, and that most are better based off of most people's reviews.

mthayr

WKR
I own both the Mountain Hunter Elite and Encompass - both are great, though I tend towards the Encompass' since they are lighter and a bit less stiff. Were I to go on a sheep or goat hunt I'd grab the MH Elites for sure.

FWIW, I bought the MH's before the Encompass model came out - I would probably have only bought the lighter pair if both had been available. Thus far no problems with either, both have L&S custom footbeds and neither have caused me any blisters/foot pain in any way.

bat-cave

WKR
I went the full custom Mtn Hunter Elite several years back and have been super happy with them. Not the lightest by any stretch, but a great boot. I battled various foot issues for several years and my Mtn Hunters put and end to them.

wildcat33

WKR
I tried the mtn elites, needed to size up but liked that model. I have the mtn hunters now (in classifieds if you want to try them). I really prefer a less stiff boot for most hunting, so I dont use them. Quality is top notch. Heavy duty.

IMO the "custom" fitting is bogus. The either fit you or they dont.

I went the full fitting service and insole route. Ordered January 2021 and barely got them in time to put a few miles on In October and didn’t have the LS insole until November so they really weren’t usable for me until mid November and by that time I can’t risk a boot fit problem in steep slick terrain and snow.
I’m not that impressed especially considering I could get 3 pair of Schnees for the same price if I hit a sale. I had a fit issue with the first pair they sent so had to go up a full size since it’s 14W or 15. Still not that impressed with the size 15 and insoles. Have a spot that creases in on my right big toe and that toe also rubs on the inside edge of the boot.
Heavy boots as others have said.
My father in laws started leaking this year in their third season of use but did fix foot pain issues for him.
I probably have 30-40 miles on mine. No blisters which has been nice, hopefully they soften up a little and stop the two spots that rub my right big toe.
They will need to be very impressive from here out to justify another pair even if it’s closer to the boot price listed on the website for the next pair.
My take is unless you are about crippled with foot pain it’s not worth the full custom fit service, I do struggle with boot fit but can honestly say these don’t fit any better than the last couple pairs of boots I’ve used.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
They didn't work for me, and I wasn't a fan of the overall buying experience.

My Lowa Tibets worked better for me. I am trying some Crispis currently.

fishslap

WKR
I went the full fitting service and insole route. Ordered January 2021 and barely got them in time to put a few miles on In October and didn’t have the LS insole until November so they really weren’t usable for me until mid November and by that time I can’t risk a boot fit problem in steep slick terrain and snow.
I’m not that impressed especially considering I could get 3 pair of Schnees for the same price if I hit a sale. I had a fit issue with the first pair they sent so had to go up a full size since it’s 14W or 15. Still not that impressed with the size 15 and insoles. Have a spot that creases in on my right big toe and that toe also rubs on the inside edge of the boot.
Heavy boots as others have said.
My father in laws started leaking this year in their third season of use but did fix foot pain issues for him.
I probably have 30-40 miles on mine. No blisters which has been nice, hopefully they soften up a little and stop the two spots that rub my right big toe.
They will need to be very impressive from here out to justify another pair even if it’s closer to the boot price listed on the website for the next pair.
My take is unless you are about crippled with foot pain it’s not worth the full custom fit service, I do struggle with boot fit but can honestly say these don’t fit any better than the last couple pairs of boots I’ve used.
Interesting you mention creasing. I did the “custom” system and eventually had to return the L&S boots due to impingement in the ankle area. When side hilling, the area where the softer black leather goes back to a point caused the stiffer leather at that spot to bend inward on my ankle. It was brutal. I also felt that the ankle support was too flexible for how heavy and stiff the rest of the boot was. Went with the scarpa kinesis pro and finally found my boot.

OP
BrandonHunts
Shoot as I've been wearing them around the house the last few days I've noticed that same impingement your talking about at my ankle where the seams are. You all seem to have alot of the same concerns I do. Thank you for the input.

Bkelly

FNG
I have a pair of the elites. Solid boot but to stiff for me. Going to sell them if anyone is interested. Size 10.5 there maybe have 3 miles on them.

GoodTryer

FNG
I went with the elites and the full custom service in 2021. 2021 hunting season they were awesome, packed out 2 bulls in CO over 7 miles for each one, and a deer in ND. Never put so many miles with excessive pack weights and my feet never hurt, sore from the abuse but not from the boot fitment. Was super impressed. 2022 went on a 12 day elk trip in Montana, and my feet were soaked 9 out of 12 days. Not from stepping in streams or standing water, only from dew on the grass, they leaked so bad from the dew that around noon i would finally break down and pour out the water in my boots. Still incredibly comfortable and supportive when wet lol. I conditioned the leather in the summer, but not right before the hunt, so I'm going to clean them very well then recondition them to see if that was the issue before talking to L&S. But i feel they shouldn't leak that much just from not being conditioned immediately before the hunt. As i have a pair of crispi valdres and have never put an ounce of waterproofer or conditioner on them and they have yet to leak in the last 5 years. I also wish they would be upfront about the cost of the the full custom route, it will vary on which boot you choose, but expect $1000.

GoodTryer

FNG
Update on my custom L&S boots. Cleaned them and did two coats of leatger condition/waterproofer, and let them sit for a day to soak in. And they leaked pretty horribly after holding them down in about 5 inches of water for approximately 3 minutes.

I have an email into James requesting a call to discuss my fit issues, boots leaking and severe pain under ball of both feet when laced for steep side hills or downhill.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have their non-custom insoles in a pair of zamberlan boots. They seem nice and I like them better than superfeet.

GoodTryer

FNG
They ended up sending me a new replacement set of boots, so hopefully these ones hold up a little better than the last. But yes their insoles are very nice, i think the sheepfeet might be better. And have not heard of anyone needing to send there sheepfeet back to get adjusted as i have with the L&S. I think because sheepfeet is an exact mold of your feet, instead of L&S is a custom grind on the insole where there is possible human error. Still think L&S makes a great product, but think your better off buying a boot that you like and putting sheepfeet in them. Have had sheepfeet in my work boots for about 9 months now and have been super impressed with them. Wearing them 6 days a week on my feet all day working in the city Houston to hiking in the mountains of Colorado.

Sandbrew

FNG
I also went the full custom with the Mtn Hunter Elite a year ago and have been super happy with them. Not the lightest but a great boot. I battled a nagging heel pain for multiple years - plantar fasciitis that was compounded by opposite side knee pain (cortisone shots every 3 months for almost a year) None since last October. I started the break in process last April and slowly built up to 8-10 miles on trail. By the fall I had no heel pain and my knee pain was minimal. I guided a few moose hunts and sheep hunt last fall. On the way off the mountain on the sheep hunt I noticed a slight bit of contact on on my right foot on the tip of my big toe. I ended up loosing the entire toenail and the slightest pressure bothered me from Oct -January on my lion hunt. I called L&S and we went over fitment lacing and they talked about stretching the toe box 1/4" to give my big toe a touch more room. In the end- Stephen just said to me on the phone. "We still have your custom molds I'm just going to send you a new pair of boots a 1/2 size larger." They arrived a few weeks later Honestly that's some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

I also have 2 pair of sheep feet inserts I where in all my daily wear shoes from work boot and light hikers to running shoes. They work well too.