Lathrop and Sons High Country Synergy Footbed Review, By Tony Trietch

kad11

WKR
A bit off topic but how do you like the Trango Techs? Do they ride more like a full or 3/4 shank? Decent toe flex or rocker? Durability issues?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
A bit off topic but how do you like the Trango Techs? Do they ride more like a full or 3/4 shank? Decent toe flex or rocker? Durability issues?
The Tech is super comfortable but it's not the stiffest boot. Despite that it worked great in the Florida Mountains chasing ibex and a couple other rough areas I hunted. I also used them in Montana elk hunting in rolling terrain with great results. Not nearly the rocker as the Cube or Alp. Durability was an issue in the Floridas but I think any synthetic would see a great amount of wear in those rocks.

ljalberta

WKR
Great review. I ended up giving these a try this year and had Lathrop size and cut them to fit. Was hoping to get an insole that provided a little more cushion on my footbeds for long days hiking on the rock/scree. Unfortunately, they weren't for me. They kept slipping in the boot, but even when they weren't slipping, I've found the foot support wasn't there. For my feet, I personally prefer something more along the lines of Superfeet Green.

Onstep

FNG
Been a customer of these guys since 2006. When I order a new setup they are my only call. I can’t recommend them enough for insoles, fitting, and boots.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this review I tried a pair. I injured/bruised my feet on an elk hunt this fall by wearing a pair of kenetrecs that I think weren’t fully broken in (jurry still out on boots). I put them in my salamon x ultra shoes. Used them for about a week but the pain returned. Took them out put my orange sole brand inserts back in with instant relief. These didn’t work for me at all 1 out of five stars. These may work for other people but I’m going to stick with orange Sole inserts for now.

I bought a pair of Zamberlan Vioz Plus boots and paid to have a pair of High Country footbeds cut to my boots. The boots ended up being a bit heavy for me but I thought the insoles performed very well. After much searching, I picked up a lighter pair of Asolo boots and was intending to purchase another pair of High Country footbeds for the Asolos.

I'm stuck on the shipping charge. It just seems crazy to me to pay a shipping charge in the high teens for a $53 item that weighs only a few oz. I just can't get over that. I do however, like the insoles but have also had good luck with SuperFeet.

MattB

WKR
They are a bit heavy and eat up some volume in the boot (could be a good or bad thing), but I really like them. It seems like even when everything else hurts, my feet don't.

Jumpalot

FNG
I bought a pair of Zamberlan Vioz Plus boots and paid to have a pair of High Country footbeds cut to my boots. The boots ended up being a bit heavy for me but I thought the insoles performed very well. After much searching, I picked up a lighter pair of Asolo boots and was intending to purchase another pair of High Country footbeds for the Asolos.

I'm stuck on the shipping charge. It just seems crazy to me to pay a shipping charge in the high teens for a $53 item that weighs only a few oz. I just can't get over that. I do however, like the insoles but have also had good luck with SuperFeet.
I was going to order a pair as well until I got to checkout and saw the shipping charges. Heck, I'm in WY so not to far from them and shipping was almost $20. Decided to go another route.

Block

WKR
They seem to last about as long as a boot,,, depends how many miles you put on.. for me that’s less than 1 season and not worth the price.

I liked em a lot the first few months when they were new,, but they just seemed to have lost their cushion...

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up throwing the inserts in the trash. The orange sole inserts were much more comfortable. I think a cheep insole you buy at the grocery store would work as good or better than these.