Lathrop and Sons Review ***Updated 5/7/20***

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley What let your decision to the regular Hunters over the Elites?
I went with the Mountain Hunters due to Stephen's recommendation during my phone consultation. They ask you a very thorough list of questions after analyzing the foot impressions you send in and help to determine the correct boot for your feet and uses.

Do they actually build you a custom boot and insole or just use the measurements to get you the best size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The boots are normal sizes but they will custom stretch the material in key areas as needed. And, if you have tight spots after you use them they will rework the boot until you have the perfect fit. The insoles are full custom based on the impressions you send in, your weight, your intended pack weight, and other factors.

Jumpalot

FNG
I thought the insoles were just the Synergy footbeds they sell but they cut them to fit the boots you order.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the insoles were just the Synergy footbeds they sell but they cut them to fit the boots you order.
It's my understanding that they customize the gel in them to meet your individual needs.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Westy35

FNG
I had heard great thing about L&S over the years, and since I was going to do my [most likely] once in a lifetime dall sheep hunt this fall, I decided to give them a try. I've mostly used Kenetreks, Schnees, and Salomons on backpack elk hunts. I started the order process at the beginning of March (for a September 1st-10th hunt). The boots arrived middle of June, tore up my left heel, and after a lot of back and forth and a failed attempt at using heel lifts, I just ended up breaking in my feet through a couple blister cycles before the hunt. James did his best to help me - he's a super nice guy - but the boots did not live up to the description/expectation of overall fit through our conversations. Then, the right boot started taking water the second day of the 10-day backpack hunt in the Chugach, and about 2 inches of stitching tore out on the inside of the right boot lacing system. I will say, the insole is awesome, the boot has some sweet features, and it appears to be well constructed, but like a previous poster said, it's basically a nice boot with an insole; not a custom job as far as I could tell.

This thread is a great reminder that I need to follow-up with L&S to see if they will fix the boots so they last me more than 3 months. I expect they will do right by me - they really do seem like good folks - but my experience was not what I expected for $1,100. Your mileage may vary.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard great thing about L&S over the years, and since I was going to do my [most likely] once in a lifetime dall sheep hunt this fall, I decided to give them a try. I've mostly used Kenetreks, Schnees, and Salomons on backpack elk hunts. I started the order process at the beginning of March (for a September 1st-10th hunt). The boots arrived middle of June, tore up my left heel, and after a lot of back and forth and a failed attempt at using heel lifts, I just ended up breaking in my feet through a couple blister cycles before the hunt. James did his best to help me - he's a super nice guy - but the boots did not live up to the description/expectation of overall fit through our conversations. Then, the right boot started taking water the second day of the 10-day backpack hunt in the Chugach, and about 2 inches of stitching tore out on the inside of the right boot lacing system. I will say, the insole is awesome, the boot has some sweet features, and it appears to be well constructed, but like a previous poster said, it's basically a nice boot with an insole; not a custom job as far as I could tell.

This thread is a great reminder that I need to follow-up with L&S to see if they will fix the boots so they last me more than 3 months. I expect they will do right by me - they really do seem like good folks - but my experience was not what I expected for $1,100. Your mileage may vary.

$1,100!? I would definitely expect a custom made boot for that price. The advertising is somewhat misleading in my opinion. At first glance it seems like they are building a custom boot for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for the review. It sucks that you had a bad experience and your boots didn't perform. Let us know how it goes when you contact them.

Westy35

FNG
Thanks for the review. It sucks that you had a bad experience and your boots didn't perform. Let us know how it goes when you contact them.

I emailed them over the weekend, and they responded first thing this morning that they agree the boots shouldn’t have taken water or pulled apart like they did, and they are sending a shipping label to me for return them for evaluation. They also indicated they would fix or replace them as soon as possible if they agree there was a problem following their evaluation. Can’t ask for a better response than that. I’ll follow-up on this thread when it’s all said and done.

My measuring kit should be here any day now. Was thinking ~600$ for cost, not 1100$. Oh well, they better be good. 10 days in the NWT in August.

My measuring kit should be here any day now. Was thinking ~600$ for cost, not 1100$. Oh well, they better be good. 10 days in the NWT in August.

If they dont physically have the boots they reccomend in stock. Just back out. They told me 3 weeks and it was 5 months. And then I had no time for break in. Or a least have a back up pair broken in.

If they dont physically have the boots they reccomend in stock. Just back out. They told me 3 weeks and it was 5 months. And then I had no time for break in. Or a least have a back up pair broken in.
Ok, thanks, good to know. Kit got here today, going to send it off this afternoon.

TX_Diver

WKR

I had the same thing but was expecting $900... Turned out to be about $900 after the fitting kit.

Haven't been able to get them quite right yet but in defense of L&S they have covered shipping back to them 3x and continue to call and make adjustments assuring me that they'll keep working on em til I'm happy. So while a bit pricey they do stand by the product and have given me great customer service.

wildcat33

WKR
I like L&S boots a lot, but I’m sorry; recommending a shoe size and trimming a gel footbed does not make a custom boot system. That’s just “buying new boots”.

Do they have the boots custom made to fit you? What is the price in the end?

I thought initially that they would build each boot to each foot but all they do is take a regular boot in your size and then glue in some pads where they think you will have hot spots. The glued in pieces don’t stay there for long. Totally not worth the extra money.

Not to m
I like L&S boots a lot, but I’m sorry; recommending a shoe size and trimming a gel footbed does not make a custom boot system. That’s just “buying new boots”.
The sheep hunters love them cause they are just rich dudes that hunt two weeks out of the year and they are the most comfortable things for two weeks then after that they break down like crazy.