Lathrop and Sons Review ***Updated 5/7/20***

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do they have the boots custom made to fit you? What is the price in the end?

I wouldn't say they are custom fit. The sizing is figured out exactly per the imprint you send and the foot beds are adjusted for your arch height. That is about all the custom fitting mine required. I am not sure if they would make changes to the boot itself if you required it. The knowledge they have and the customer service alone have made the purchase worth it. It sucks to hear you guys are having issues but as we all know, shit can happen. I still think you will be happy with your boots

Listen to their bit on Kifarucast.. They cut and rebuilt a boot for a dude with a club foot.. They can put the correct boot on anyone. Mild to extreme..

I think the "custom fit" is nothing more than an insole. I don't think they build a custom boot. That being said, I love my L&S boots!

I'll try to answer these the best I can. I just got off the phone with Stephen for my initial consultation after sending in my mapping kit. There was a big delay between the time they received my kit and the consultation due to my heavy work schedule and Stephen and I both had a couple weeks each where we were out of the office.

When your foot mapping system is received by Lathrop and Sons they evaluate your stance, pressure points, size and width, and volume, and other factors I don't fully understand (that's why they're the pros). After they evaluate your imprints and photos, they spend time with you on the phone asking a long list of questions about things like where you normally get blisters, hot spots, pain, fatigue, your height and weight, your day pack weight, your loaded up headed home pack weight, and, and, the list goes on. After that they start work on your boots and insoles. The custom boot system includes making any needed changes to your boots for the perfect fit. You will also get full custom insoles made to the exact level of cushion and support your feet need.

When you receive your custom boot system, you call them again for a post consultation where they make sure everything fits as it should and explain your next steps to assure you get the most out of your system. After wearing the boots for a trip or two they will even heat and stretch the boots again if you are experiencing issues.

The price will be dependent on which boots you end up buying.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer. I should be reporting on my initial impressions in about two to three weeks.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've had my Mountain Hunters for about a week now and really like them. The guys at Lathrop nailed the fit. I leave for a five day bear hunt on the 31st so I'll update again when I get back.

2d49d5dd023023e89c1947594c94d0e9.jpg

They sent me some Grangers Footwear Repel spray so I dampened them and sprayed them this morning so they will be ready to roll next weekend.

d0d4893c8b4e03e419708694239c2bee.jpg

Samee0621

FNG
Very intrigued to hear how they work for you. I only wish I had found out about them and decided to try the custom fit earlier. I’ll be elk hunting in the Rockies come oct 11 so it’s too late to try to get a pair of boots from them on such short notice.

I have an awful time finding boots that fit. I ALWAYS have an issue with space around my heel. Heel run drives me crazy and I’m yet to find a boot that doesn’t cause heel rub.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Very intrigued to hear how they work for you. I only wish I had found out about them and decided to try the custom fit earlier. I’ll be elk hunting in the Rockies come oct 11 so it’s too late to try to get a pair of boots from them on such short notice.

I have an awful time finding boots that fit. I ALWAYS have an issue with space around my heel. Heel run drives me crazy and I’m yet to find a boot that doesn’t cause heel rub.

I think they could definitely help you with your fitment issues.

JAS04

FNG
We're
The whole kit comes in a box that you can use to ship everything back to Lathrop and Sons with the provided return label. I shipped mine out yesterday afternoon so next is waiting for their evaluation and then we will do a phone consultation. Stay tuned.....
We're you having issues you were trying to fix?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Were you having issues you were trying to fix?

Not exactly. I have been pretty happy with my boots over the last ten or so years. My go-to have been the Zamberlan Guide 960 which seem to fit me very well (I'm on my 2nd or 3rd pair). Last year I did a review on the Kenetrek Mountain Guide which I was very happy with. I haven't had blisters with either of those boots but I do get soreness and foot fatigue sometimes.

My hope with the Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System is that they can fine tune a system for me that gives me even more support and comfort than I'm used to. So far, I'm extremely happy. The boots seem to fit me very well starting with the first time I stepped in and laced them up.

Yesterday I had a consultation over the phone with Stephen so he could explain proper lacing, and "wearing in" of the boots. These guys really go the extra mile to make sure you understand how the boots are designed to work and how you can get the most out of them. We talked about boot care inside and out along with how often to re-waterproof them. He also explained how to clean out the dirt and grime that can enter the inner layers of a boot and destroy the waterproof membrane.

One of the biggest take-aways from the call was Stephen's recommended process for drying boots. He explained how the boot upper is made of two main parts. The outer, made from leather and other materials. And, the inner boot, which is a free floating "sock" that is only attached to the outer in a few spots. Since moisture inside the boots gets trapped between the layers, he recommends removing the footbed (insole) and turning the boots upside down so the moisture and run out instead of pooling in the bottom and very slowly evaporating. I have always dried my boots upright so I'm interested to see how this improves dry time.

Last edited:

JAS04

FNG
Thanks for the info. They are something I have looked at for the same reasons you explained. Look forward to hearing more when you have pounded some miles!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a little over 40 miles in the Mountain Hunters now. The fit is very good except I may move up a half size next time to give my toes a touch more room for long downhill hikes. The Synergy footbeds are extremely comfortable and I plan to get some more for my other boots and shoes.

My feet stayed dry through shallow stream crossings and wet brush in the mornings.

When I got home I rinsed them thoroughly inside and out and turned them upside down to dry.

b04eb2054966512847b75a053ff893ee.jpg

Marble

WKR
I just ordered a set of Lowas from them with an upgraded insole cut to the boot. I forget who I spoke with, but the entire call was around 30 minutes. He was super helpful and took his time. I took some measurements of my foot, I wear a 14 so buying boots really or any shoes really sucks. Talked about my issues (with my feet) and he made a recommendation.

I should get the boots later this week.

I ordered a pair of Crispis and they didnt fit. I was really bummed.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Some crazy wet pheasant hunting here in eastern WA today. Feet stayed dry through it all.

f24c8410f24b7face58b31b6131e1aab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you guys have or had plantar fasciitis ? I have it and was wondering if their insoles would help or their system would benefit me.
I've had it but it was a few years back. I'm sure they could help you but I would call them for the best results.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have been extremely busy this year and haven't hunted as much as I normally do. But, a week ago I was able to make it over to Idaho to help my buddy fill his elk tag.

We found him a tasty spike the first morning and he made a great shot at 275 yards. It was about half a mile to our camp that first afternoon.

The next day we packed the bull out 4.5 miles to the truck and then hiked back in to pack up camp and then back out again. That was a 13.5 mile day with heavy packs for most of it. My feet felt great throughout!

Etson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. I have been using the insulated Kenetreks for awhile now but have been looking at Lathrop and Sons for awhile now deciding whether to buy. This has helped me decide to pull the trigger and order a pair for next year.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I have been using the insulated Kenetreks for awhile now but have been looking at Lathrop and Sons for awhile now deciding whether to buy. This has helped me decide to pull the trigger and order a pair for next year.
Give them a call and ask about their full custom boot system. I think that's where their real value is at. Don't get me wrong, the boots are great. But, having insoles and boots as a system designed for YOU is the real winner here imo.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Give them a call and ask about their full custom boot system. I think that's where their real value is at. Don't get me wrong, the boots are great. But, having insoles and boots as a system designed for YOU is the real winner here imo.

Do they actually build you a custom boot and insole or just use the measurements to get you the best size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan_1129

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like an awesome boot. I need to get myself some new boots. I have a set of Scarpa Charmoz size 12’s I’m trying to get rid of I just need to get 10 comments so I have access to the classifieds.