Lathrop and sons

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to go through the custom boot process with Lathrop and sons. Or go with the Crispi Hunter boot? Thanks

Payaso

FNG
They’re good at what they do and will get you set up properly. Their insoles are great too. Check what they have for boot inventory before you start though.

Eh. I like mine ok but I don’t know if it was worth the money. I did the whole enchilada, custom fitting and all. I now have to wear 2 socks and a liner on 1 foot and 1 sock and liner on the other because they don’t fit quite right. Customer service was way less than advertised, as I couldn’t get in touch with them, or get a call back, for a follow up and finally said the heck with it and just went out hiking. I honestly wish I’d gone elsewhere and saved $500+/-

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice I ended up ordering crispi hunters and am doing the sheep feet.

FS38

FNG
I have never made negative remarks regarding an equipment supplier. But my terrible experience with Lahrop and son was so "over the top" crappy it brings me to do so.
No doubt they have an ok hunting boot; well if they manage to get you one that fits.
reading reviews I guess it's pretty hit and miss!
But for me they were so irresponsible customer service wise. No effort to make things right. I am not hard to work with, but they took an attitude of "we're too busy to help you with your situation"; "we can do no wrong" "you're arrogant to expect satisfaction". Hey, they don't even know how their boot sizing compares with other standards of sizing and as a result gave recommendations that were incorrect. Then they stood behind their mistake and it ended up costing me over a hundred bucks by the time I paid shipping on the return and they only refunded part of the original invoice.
They simply wouldn't help me. BUYER BEWARE!!
I called up Hoffman boots and found, I think, a great company. Great boot. Fast shipping. Actually know what they're doing without some "gimmick" custom foot wear, "we're foot doctors" baloney!
Just a word to the wise from my personal experience.

Currently waiting on a reply to an email I (re)sent them. The midsole of my boot developed a large bump in it. Not sure if it was something I did or the boot itself warped.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
darn, here i was thinking of trying their boots out next.

I got my boots right toward the beginning of covid. It took a little longer because of that. But I was very happy with the initial consult as well as the post fitting consult. I had had trouble w numbness down the outsides of my feet as well in my toes (previous boots were Danners then Kenetrek). I also had pain in my big toe when going down steep hills.

They spent an hour on my initial consult and explained the reasons behind my issues and how they would fix it. They gave me a few options including trying Lowa but w L and S insoles. I ended up going w their boots and am glad I did.

They felt great out of the box and I haven’t had any of the issues I had before even despite carrying weight up to 70# and putting on lots of miles.

I hope something hasn’t changed since I got mine as I would likely try them again even though they are expensive.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
It's the customer service that has me hesitant right now on trying them out in the future, could be just a few localiZed cases as one rarely sees the positive reviews.

Any specific things to order with the lathrops or recommendations? Or is there anything special?

I'm currently rocking kenetreks, which I use pretty much every day for hiking/walking the dog, they are well broken in and comfy. Only issue I have with them is the soles are soft and wear quickly compared to any other boot I've used. About a year old and I'll get maybe this year out of them. Granted they have about 10-15kms a day on them for a year so that's a lot of mileage, lots of mud, rain, snow, so they have held up.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I used them to get custom foot beds made for my and my wife's boots. We each sent our carbon footprints and pics per the instructions that came with the kit, then once received we each had a 1:1 phone call/consult with them, then shipped our kenetreks and they sent them back with the custom foot beds installed. Great experience all the way around, and 3 years later niether of us have never had a blister, hot spot, or any other issue.

idig4au

WKR
I used to use their insoles but found they didn’t provide enough support. Switched to green super feet insoles and saw a vast improvement. I think the key is to find what works best for your feet and ankles and unfortunately it can be an iterative process that can take time and money.

TX_Diver

WKR
I had a really good experience w/ them.

Ultimately their house boots didn't fit me great so we went to a custom Lowa tibet. Haven't used it as much yet but customer service was always great and they covered shipping for all modifications.

But they are expensive so it's up to the individual to determine if the value is there. I'm going to put a lot more miles on the boots before deciding what I want to do for my next boots.

It's the customer service that has me hesitant right now on trying them out in the future, could be just a few localiZed cases as one rarely sees the positive reviews.

Any specific things to order with the lathrops or recommendations? Or is there anything special?

I'm currently rocking kenetreks, which I use pretty much every day for hiking/walking the dog, they are well broken in and comfy. Only issue I have with them is the soles are soft and wear quickly compared to any other boot I've used. About a year old and I'll get maybe this year out of them. Granted they have about 10-15kms a day on them for a year so that's a lot of mileage, lots of mud, rain, snow, so they have held up.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Nothing special. They supposedly will not only do custom insoles but mold the boot to your foot if needed. Some on here say they don’t do that and just have a standard boot that they do a custom insole for. I can only say that the pain I had in my big toe was due to an upturn of that toe. It would always rub on the top of the toe box. It doesn’t do that w their boots. Maybe they molded the boot to my foot or the toe box is just big enough to not bother me now.

I have also thought about doing the Lowa Tibet w sheep feet and comparing the two. But my experience w L and S has been good. Hopefully my experience wasn’t a fluke.

I had a very good experience with them. I was having trouble with my feet on elk hunts in steep terrain and after trying the K.Mountain extremes and Hardscrabbles and Crispi Wyoming I spent the money. I had booked a sheep hunt and wanted a comfortable stiff boot. The sizing, ordering and fitting experience was great and I ended up going with their boot. After breaking them in and training I wore them on an elk hunt in pretty rough country and was very satisfied. Last year on my sheep hunt they performed well. I no longer get blisters or sore feet even under load. I would say if you can get by with one of the other boots then it will save you a lot of money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting mix of reviews. I sent them an email over the weekend asking to get started on the custom process and still haven't heard anything back. I get that Monday was a holiday but for $$$ products you would think they would respond a little faster? Sometimes this is an indicator of what dealing with a company in the future looks like, if they don't respond quickly to your request to do business how quick will they be to resolve a problem. I was looking at their Encompass boot, but you guys have me thinking twice based on some of the comments above. Maybe I'll just stick with my Crispi's and see how it goes with some Sheep Feet insoles.

Last edited:
OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thats what I ended up doing going with the crispis and got the sheepfeet they were a game changer for me.