Lathrop & Sons Cutsom Boot System, by Jared Bloomgren

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php
You might notice there is a lot of talk on Rokslide about Lathrop & Sons. What can we say, when you deliver good product and service, people talk. We'd heard so much about their custom boot fitting system, we arranged a review with one of our hard-core writers, Jared Bloomgren, to test the system. If you've wondered what the system is all about and if it works, here is Jared's 2015 experience combined with with over 90 miles of use and packing out one big bull elk. *Update 7-20-16. Due to a big price jump charged to Lathrop & Sons in the mapping system referred to in this article, the $150 cost is no longer applied to the Custom Boot System. Please see post #22 for clarification or call Lathrop & Sons for more info. http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/footwear/398-lathrop-sons-custom-boot-system-review

Last edited:

bates

WKR
Great Article,

I agree with Jared, with just a few photos Stephen told me more about my foot than I imagined.

I am not as far along as Jared as I just received my boots last week, what they say about boots being personal is extremely right.

I would of bought the Tech Lites but after talking to Stephen there is no way that boot is going to work with my foot, and based on my experiences trying other boots he was correct, we went a different direction than I would have

I have owned several pairs of boots and these are the first ones that feel great right out of the box and I would take on a long hike

To clarify something in the article the custom boot package isn't $150

The $150 covers the cost of the foot imprint kit and tracings, then once you buy your boots the $150 is deducted off the total cost. The pricing varies depending on the involvement and is best to talk to Lathrop.

They can also pour you different synergy footbeds with different densities of the gel and even run different coverings on the top based on your needs. plus mold and modify your boots to get them fitting correctly.

I am very happy and glad I made the investment in my feet, sure beats buying and trying, selling or shipping back different boots especially if you live in an area where access to backpacking and mountaineering boots is slim.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bates, thanks for your personal feedback. I understood the $150 is refundable if buying L&S boots, but not if you're sending your own boots for fitting, so we put it in the article. Is that not correct?

bates

WKR
Robby

You know it might be best to talk to Stephen to get straight on the offerings and price.

My understanding is the $150 covers the foot imprint and consult and is refundable not sure if refundable with just a boot purchase or if you have to buy the package.

I just know the full package with fitting and other foot beds will be more than $150 and didn't want guys getting surprised.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good, I'll talk to him Monday and make sure we have this right. Thanks for the heads up! That's what I love about digital publishing- nothing's forever.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talked with Stephen. The $150 will include the mapping kit and consultation. After that you will be given $150 towards the purchase of a Custom Boot System once purchased. That would include the Synergy Foot Beds, whichever boots you choose, and the fitting process. See the attached photo describing this that is straight from their website. Sorry for the confusion!

Bates, you are a smart man for going with L&S for a custom boot system! You will find that you made the right decision!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Cbulla

FNG
I would also like to add that I am now a customer of Lathrop & Sons. I am new to the type of boots required to to hunt in the high country. I wish i would have found them,and ROKSLIDE before I bought my Kenetreks. I called them and they gave me all the time in the world and helped me try and fix my heel problem. I told them when I decide to purchase another boot, and that may be soon, I WILL PURCHASE from them no matter how much money my buddies tell me I could possibly save somewhere else. That kind of service is priceless and worth every dollar to me and I highly recomend to anybody. Lathrop & Sons....Great guys!

elkguide

WKR
Need to save my pennies. Great information.
I've heard of and even seen L&S boots in the field but have never taken the plunge.
This is making me reconsider.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! I am glad you enjoyed the article and are considering yourself a great service from L&S!

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
I did the custom boot system last year. Could not be happier. Stephen is the real deal!
Wasn't cheap but I can't remember the last time my feet felt so good after a long hunting season. Their support is also amazing.
I have emailed a couple questions and received calls back in a matter of hours.
I'll be buying boots from them for a good long time!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
First line of defense to go after that animal of your dreams is your feet! If they're tore up and hurting, it just slows you down that much more!

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
What is a ball park price from start to finish for a pair of these boots. I know there is difference depending on what model is chosen but is total price double-triple-4 times etc of a over the counter type pair of quality boots.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is a ball park price from start to finish for a pair of these boots. I know there is difference depending on what model is chosen but is total price double-triple-4 times etc of a over the counter type pair of quality boots.

The custom boot system runs $850 and you are given a $150 credit for the synergy foot beds. So right around $700 for the best option that is out there for your feet! Many may say that is way too much. But think of it this way, what is the first thing that usually hurts and gives you fits on tough mountain hunts? That can be remidied to make you a more successful predator!

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
can someone break down the cost for the system? i guess im missing something here. looks like boots range from $385 on up , then $150 for kit, then what? foot beds $55?
i am clearly overlooking something on the site

Dwnorton1

FNG
Best decision you could ever make. I did it and found out that I should have been wearing size 16 boots instead of the 14's that I had been wearing for years. That explains why my toes were absolutely killing me when I dropped off side of mountains on Idaho bear hunt a few years back. My hunt in Montana this last fall was my first while wearing the correct size, Feet felt great even after hiking 70 miles over a 6 day period (damn wolves, but that is another story). Give James a call, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Yes it is a lot of money to invest, but how much is a unfilled tag going to caused because of ill fitting boots, not to mention cost incurred just getting to hunting area. Also I have no doubt that the Lowa's will last me for the next decade, with that reasoning my boots are going to have cost me a whopping $85 a year. Money well spent. IMO

BigDog00

WKR
Best decision you could ever make. I did it and found out that I should have been wearing size 16 boots instead of the 14's that I had been wearing for years.IMO

Good GAWD!!!! At least you won't ever have to buy any snow shoes. Those would be the definition of planks.