Lathrop & Sons Cutsom Boot System, by Jared Bloomgren

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
it doesn't seem very vague to me, I just said there was no refund ,,,in response to at least one question about refunds in the thread somewhere. (no refund in at least in my experience)

as far as the boots? after calling and talking to one of the guys at lathrop, i wound up ordering the tech light hunter with synergy footpads.

boots didn't fit or work for me. I walked around my house several times over the period of a few days. the boots have a huge deep heel pocket in my opinion. i wish i would have known that before ordering. my foot did not fit well in the boots so i had to send them back.

my total expenses for the chance to walk around my house was:
synergy=$53.95
cutting the synergy=$45
shipping $19
return shipping $20

so am just saying there is no refund.
I am negative $140,
lathrop is positive $98.95
usps or ups is positive $39

it is what it is.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I needed to know. It was sounding like you were referring to a refund on the foot mapping but I understand now.

I'd reached out to Lathrop & Sons in the meantime to make sure this thread was explaining everything correctly.

It was but what changed is up until April 25th, the mapping kit cost of $150 was applied to the Custom boot system which included boots, two consultations (before/after) boot modify, synergy system, so not really a refund, but a credit toward the entire system.

After April 25th, the prices charged to L&S for the mapping kit went up substantially so now they don't apply that $150 to the boot system now- it's just a tool to properly fit you to a boot-theirs or any brand.

But reading your post, it sounds like you didn't order the mapping system. Sounds like the Tech-Lites didn't fit so you sent them back and kept the Synergy- which were returnable with the boots btw. but you kept them and can still use in other boots. I know my set are worth $100 in any boot.

L&S says please call them as they want to make sure this is right with you and understand the issue.

I get the postage deal and sorry it didn't work. I've had to taste that bitterness on returning internet purchases before.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
just fyi, the guy (one of the brothers, can't remember which) told me that once they fitted the synergy, they were non refundable/non-returnable otherwise i would have gladly sent them back. when i first called them, i had envisioned them sending some type of thing you stand on and get a foot impression which you send back in to get a custom fit but after talking to them, they said that was up in 700-800 range, which was quite a bit more than i had anticipated. i assume this was the mapping system. they said the next best thing was get the synergy because they recommended it with their boot. when i called to set up return of boots, they sure didn't mention i could return the synergy (see first sentence above)

as for internet purchases, earlier this year i was looking for boots and decided to try the lowa hunter gtx, after shopping around i found this awesome sight called shoebuy.com and they had them for a great price of like 300 free shipping. but what sealed the deal was they offered a full return policy with a shipping label. i really liked those boots but when i walked around the house for a few days, it felt like the right one was digging into my lower shin when it flexed. obviously, once i hiked in them for real, i wouldn't be able to return them so i didn't want to take the risk, although i now think it may have stopped. but they sent me a shipping label (which i thought was really great customer service). they don't have the hunters any more though sadly.

at this point i had not heard about lathrop and sons. i got some kennetrek mtn extreme which are about the best i have found so far (although i wonder how those lowa hunters would have really worked out) the kennetrek's aren't perfect but they work pretty good. if i send them to kennetrek, they will adjust them a bit supposedly. i then tried the lathrop and son's because, well,,,,the kennetrek's weren't PERFECT and i guess I bought into the hype a bit,,as in, you know, you read these forums and next thing you know you're buying something you can't live without. i had high hopes and a positive attitude about it but wasn't going to risk the 700-800 or whatever it is now . losing the 140$ was a hard blow to the whole "find a hunting boot" plan. if they will actually refund the 98.99 that would be awesome. i would have to respectfully disagree about the synergy being worth 100 from what i can see so far. however, i've only tried them a couple times since i sent back the boots. i am fortunate enough to have a podiatrist friend who "mapped" my feet with a strange styrafoam footbed that he pushed your foot down into and then it retains the shape and ordered me some custom insoles which he only charged me 150 for ( i think he usually charges in 500+ range so he is a true friend) they work pretty darn good. just fyi, i tried the tech hunters with the synergy, the factory, and my custom insoles and sadly it was that heel pocket that just didn't work out.

as for my boot experience, i have hiked the entire annapurna circuit in nepal( i used either lowa's or sportivas with only one small blister by the end), the routeburn track and the abel-tasman in new zealand, parts of the Haute route in the pyrennes, parts of the pct and the appalachian plus the usual hunting stuff.

anyway, i will try to call them. thanks for contacting them, i really hadn't expected that.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for explaining and yes, give them a call. Not sure if they can do anything now but if the Synergy's are still new, they might be able.

Again, sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped.