Lathrop vs. Sheep Feet

chasewild

WKR
Given the choice between buying a custom boot and a custom insert for an existing boot, which would you prefer?

Brendan

WKR
Lathrop and Sons insoles do not offer any support - they rely on the boot to offer the support. If you look at them on a table top or the ground, they are a completely flat piece of silicone cushioning. For me, they work well when used in the L&S boots (fit like a glove), but I don't use them in other boots. My personal feeling is that L&S designed the last of their boots and their insole to work together to provide appropriate support, but that won't be the case in other boots.

Sheep feet are a real custom orthotic - designed for your foot, built in support.

Given the choice, I'd use the latter. I have a set on the way, paid with my FSA, and will test them out this year in both my L&S boots and my Crispi's.

The wild card for me (will need to let you know) - is what I prefer using my L&S boots vs. my Crispi. There's a chance I will continue to use my L&S with the L&S insert, there's a chance I'll use my L&S boot with my sheep feet orthotics. I love the design of the boot (Mountain Hunter Elite) in that they offer more support than a light hiker without being overly stiff and clunky.

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
Lathrop and Sons insoles do not offer any support - they rely on the boot to offer the support. If you look at them on a table top or the ground, they are a completely flat piece of silicone cushioning. For me, they work well when used in the L&S boots (fit like a glove), but I don't use them in other boots. My personal feeling is that L&S designed the last of their boots and their insole to work together to provide appropriate support, but that won't be the case in other boots.

Sheep feet are a real custom orthotic - designed for your foot, built in support.

Given the choice, I'd use the latter. I have a set on the way, paid with my FSA, and will test them out this year in both my L&S boots and my Crispi's.

The wild card for me (will need to let you know) - is what I prefer using my L&S boots vs. my Crispi. There's a chance I will continue to use my L&S with the L&S insert, there's a chance I'll use my L&S boot with my sheep feet orthotics. I love the design of the boot (Mountain Hunter Elite) in that they offer more support than a light hiker without being overly stiff and clunky.

Excellent reply. I think I'll order the Elite this winter, use them, then order the insole in the summer. I love the FSA idea!

Brendan

WKR
My sheep feet arrive next week, and I'm hunting in Colorado and Wyoming from about October 4th through the 22nd or 23rd, so I should have better feedback on those combos end of October if you want to ping me then.

Benefit to waiting is also Black Friday sales if you don't need them in the short term.

Also, give Lathrop & Sons a call. Some of the most helpful and genuine people out there. I think I spent a cumulative hour or more on the phone with them before ordering boots.

bat-cave

WKR
One suggestion as a consumer of both Sheepfeet and L&S Custom Boots. Get a friend to help you when you make the casts (Sheepfeet) / tracings and such (L&S).

I have a pair of L&S Mtn Hunter Elites and they are excellent. However for things like Spring Turkey and early season Elk when it's really warm, I will sometimes opt to where my Scarpa Charmoz HD's. The Scarp's are lighter and not quite as warm on 85+ deg days with lots of miles locating Elk.

Personally given I did the full custom fit with my L&S boots, I don't plan to replace the insoles as they boot and L&S insole were designed as a system and having had foot issues in the past ... don't break what's not broken as I have no zero issues with my L&S.

Enter this Elk season and I decided to use the Scarpa's and a new set of Sheepfeet insoles. I did wear them on hikes, all day on my feet around the house and shooting Mtn 3D etc ... I had some mile discomfort on the outside of my Left foot immediately in front of the heel, but no big deal. After the first two days of Elk season and ~16 miles of Mtn hiking looking for Elk ... the no big deal became bigger. I should have known the minor irritation would get worse ... my mistake! My best guess is that I screwed up making the casting and possibly didn't have my Left foot perfectly flat etc ... Not sure just yet, but I'm inclined to believe it was user error!

FWIW, I reached out to Sheepfeet to ask if I might be able to recast my left and described the issue. i got an answer back and a shipping label to return the insole in question so they can look. Waiting to see, but I will say that I am impressed with the service. Back to my original point ... get help making the casts! :)

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
The lathrop and sons insert is trash dr scholes from the grocery store is better. I also have the sheep feet orthotic it’s totally worth it no question I would take the sheepfeet.

Block

WKR
Iv swapped my Lathrop into a handful of different boots, from Hanwag Makra to Crispi Lapponia to Salomon 4D GTX and they have made all the boots much more comfortable than the factory insert. My average hike is ~10 miles all off trail in steep terrain and without the Lathrop I would get hotspots.
I’m pretty tempted to try the sheep feet

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
I think the L&S boot with the L&S insert is fine, but otherwise that insert is just a cushion. So, I think trying the L&S boot with that insert for a year, and then adding the sheep feet insert a year in is the way I'm going to go.

fishslap

WKR
I did the full lathrop and son custom boot “system”. It is not a custom boot and there’s nothing custom made about the boot. They suggest some boots, make you a flat gel insole, then suggest things like lacing techniques or go to Walgreens and buy a dr scholl’s heal lift. The very thin piece of material they put under the arch came unglued after minimal use and they wanted me to ship the insole back to have it repaired. Complete waste of time and money for me. I’m waiting on my sheep feet to arrive.

Last edited:

Loco4dux

WKR
What fish said... got tired of going back and forth with them for the last 2 years never could get the boots right. I’m going sheep feet after this season.

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
Man, those are some damaging reports. And really give me pause. Its been about a week since I packed out my bull and my feet are still aching so NOW I'm like, maybe just keep my charmoz and add some sheep feet 🤪

WI75

FNG
I have the Sheep Feet and have been using them the past 2 weeks in Montana. I ordered right before they got busy so mine took 4 weeks and them working a holiday to get them to me in time for hunt (they were very responsive to my questions on timing). No time to break them in or get used to them. Put them in a pair of Crispi Idaho 2 GTX. Can’t say enough good about them. I used to have a lot of trouble with ankles rolling, and knee pain especially down hill. After 60 miles in them I can say they are worth every penny. My balance also is improved.