Layaway on Optics?

Ellison

FNG
Anyone do this anymore? I know there are a couple firearm dealers doing it. Would make sense to do it with higher end optics as well. Thinking of stepping into the Swarovski SLCs. I'm sure I'm not the only guy thinking this.

ODB

WKR
Is there some benefit to layaway versus just saving the money until you can afford them? Not sure I understand.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
It seems most places have stopped doing layaway and want you to get their credit card instead.

HookUp

WKR
Pretty easy to get a zero interest cc. Slippery slope though. I'd save up then buy. Used is where you'll find the best deal.

OP
Ellison

Ellison

FNG
None in particular. Just started looking into upgrading, after a Wyoming antelope hunt. Frustrated with the binoculars I currently have. Figured I should bite the bullet and buy a nicer set up for next season. We have a lot of 2 and 3 year old burns in my area that are starting to shape up.

ODB

WKR
No benefit at all, really. Just not that great at saving for something.
Appreciate the honesty. Try this, open up a new account at your bank and name it Swarovski. Put 500$ in it or whatever the minimum down on your desired gear is. Then every now and then drop bits of money in it. Having the visual of seeing money earmarked for something you want is good. We do this with all kinds of stuff. Between my wife and I we have 11 bank accounts for various things. My Africa account now has .07c in it. I need to start filling it back up.
Good luck.

16Bore

WKR
There’s worse ways to buy, but layaway isn’t going to hurt you. I’d save my pennies like BaxterB says....then buy a used set and be $$$ ahead.

Whatever you buy “new” is eventually going to be “used”, might as well let someone else eat the depreciation.

I set up a bank account as well on the 15th of every month it automatically transfer $ from my checking to savings. It's like paying yourself. (Fun money)

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I do what most on here are saying. I have a hunting account that I have set up for direct deposit. When I get paid, it makes a deposit to that savings account.

Also, a lot of companies are using a service called “affirm”. I’ve never used it. But it appears to be a payment plan for new gear. I know Thethd uses it for their tree saddles. I think there are some webpages that do it for optics.

LitenFast

WKR
I don't see them used very often? Are the older models as good?

Just bought a pair this week off classifieds. My understanding is they have been essentially the same since ‘13 or ‘14. Mine are 2015’s. They come up fairly often.

I do what most have said, put 200/month in a separate account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug at camera land might be willing to work with you. I haven’t heard of him doing this before, but their customer service is unmatched, and he usually has demos/open box stuff at discounts.

I agree that credit cards have pretty much taken over layaway deals, I think most of them only gave you a certain amount of time to pay it off and then they kept your $.

I’d also agree with the “just save up and pay cash” crowd. Comb through everything at your house you can sell and it should get you started. Then just make saving a game, set goals to hit and meet them. Either transfer a portion of everything that comes in, or do it small amounts at a time as you choose not to spend money elsewhere. For example, don’t go to the bar one night with your buddy and put $50 in the bino fund. Same thing for making coffee at the house if you buy one on the way to work every day.

Having the $ set aside also let’s you jump on deals, I found a pair of new/open box Zeiss Conquest HD’s for $650. Wouldn’t have been able to get them if I had tried to pull the money out of my regular budget at that time.

I can see where making payments would be necessary for something like a younger guy getting into guiding and being guaranteed they will be paid for them, or if you lose a pair right before the season starts. But again, credit cards...

FWIW, I don’t think you can go wrong with Swaro’s in any case, but if you’re not earning your living with them stuff like Zeiss/Meopta/Leica/Maven can get you really close for significant less $. Don’t waste your money on the $500 “halfway” stuff though, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
Ellison

Ellison

FNG
I have seen several people mention cameraland on here. Didn't realize there was one person responsible for helping everyone. That seems like good business.
Started a Swarovski fund today. Discipline Discipline Disciline!

I have seen several people mention cameraland on here. Didn't realize there was one person responsible for helping everyone. That seems like good business.
Started a Swarovski fund today. Discipline Discipline Disciline!

Doug is the owner IIRC, if not he’s still the head honcho. I’ve dealt with Neal, he is great also. I think it’s a fairly small team, so you should be well taken care of.

I would consider swaros a luxury item and not worth going into debt over. Consider saving money until you have the funds. You can get some slammer deals on eBay/classifieds here for demo models and what not. I got my EL’s on eBay for a steal and they are in pristine condition. Sometime you have to watch for a month or two to get the good deals.