Layering discussion! Need some input.

I know that clothes/layering system has been discussed extensively here but wanted to dive a little deeper. I’m wanting to buy a puffy jacket ( Stone Glaciers Grumman to be exact) for the extreme weight to warmth ratio for this years hunts, as I plan on doing more backcountry. However I usually set up a wall tent, so I can bring whatever as weight isn’t a concern.

I own the following :
Merino base
Sitka core heavy wt hoody
Sitka kelvin lite hoody
Sitka Jetstream jacket
Rain jacket

edit: I live in WA state, plan on doing some Montana hunts. My usual weather is 8 degrees-50. Hunting around 7-8k. I just want to be able to be as versatile and as efficient as possible.

How does your clothing option change, if any, between a backcountry Hunt vs “car” camping style hunt? I’m trying to figure if I should ditch the kelvin lite hoody and the Jetstream and just rock the Grumman for all my insulation needs.

Last edited:

TBHasler

WKR
Car camping is very different for me vs backcountry. Backcountry for me is I am hauling everything in my pack. When car camping or base camping where I’m not hiking/hauling far to base camp, I bring a lot more stuff (contingency planning).
For your list above - if car/base camping, I’d bring it all + the néw Grumman. For backcountry, I’d likely ditch kelvin and Jetstream for Grumman. Time of year and weather outlook will factor in, but my backcountry gear list is considerably different than base/car camp list.

Lowg08

WKR
I use the same set up either way. I wear a merino base. May change weights depending on temps. I also wear a heavyweight but a zip t. I wear a kuiu kenai in place of your kelvin lite. Here is wear we differ. I have a jetstream vest that I would wear over the kenai and when temps drop a brooks down sweater over that and the. A dewpoint rain suit. I have considered an equinox hoodie or sawtooth hoodie to interchange with the zip t. I think your good with your set up if anything I’d leave the jetstream jacket and add the Grumman and wear the rain jacket over it for wind