Layering for Wyoming in October

WillyR089

FNG
Got the elk tag for gun season today! Plan to be there the first week of October. I have a FL merino base shirt, Chama hoody, then a cheap puffy, kuiu rain jacket. Legs I have FL long Johns and Rei pants. Last I trekked out that time of year I got whooped by the wind while glassing. Also my Chama has a ton of holes in. How would y’all change my layering? Add or replace.

The wind is very likey going to howl but you know that. I'd have breathable windproof outer wear like a coat/parka and bibs myself and multiple sets of merino underwear and wool socks. Wool sweater and/or a shirt too. I love wool!

manitou1

WKR
I hunt WY the first 2-3 weeks of October every year. Most days end up fairly warm, but some can be really cold. I use mid weight merino, a light polarfleece grid mid layer and a light jacket, which is usually shed by late morning and placed in my pack. For the cold days and early mornings, I carry a puffy for insulation and light rain jacket for a wind barrier. Works great. Simple system, light, and adaptable.
I have days where it is in the 70s. I have had a few that were 25 degrees with 65 mph winds too!

Wags

WKR
I hunt WY the first 2-3 weeks of October every year. Most days end up fairly warm, but some can be really cold. I use mid weight merino, a light polarfleece grid mid layer and a light jacket, which is usually shed by late morning and placed in my pack. For the cold days and early mornings, I carry a puffy for insulation and light rain jacket for a wind barrier. Works great. Simple system, light, and adaptable.
I have days where it is in the 70s. I have had a few that were 25 degrees with 65 mph winds too!

What he said....

Last year was a good example of that. The first few days were lows in the 30s to highs in the low 70s. Then overnight a cold front blew in, dropped the temps and brought severe winds with a good layer of snow about. Then a few days later it was in the 60s again.....

Wind is the one thing you can always rely on in Wyoming so have a system that accounts for that regardless of the temps. Even a 45 degree morning can be cold looking into a 25mph wind.

You may consider adding a vest to the system. I've never been a vest guy until last year.... I was really missing out these years not wearing one. It really increased my body temp and allowed for me to wear less bulk while remaining warm.