Layering help (yep, another thread...)

jm1607

WKR
I'm still working on putting together a lightweight & quiet/silent 2-3 piece layering system (+ rain shell) for early-mid season bowhunting... I've played with alot of options and combinations but I still feel like I can do better.. Rifle is easy, but making something quiet for bowhunting is tougher..

I have my Llano as my base layer, that's a gimme..

I've been using my FL fleece as a mid-layer. I like it as a mid-layer because it's fairly thin so I keep a wide range of motion, plus it doesn't have any pockets creating any more bulk. Keeps me good into the high 50's or so..

So if I keep the fleece as my mid I need something as an outer layer to shear some wind (doesn't have to be insane) and keep warm down into the high 20's at the absolute coldest. Doesn't really need to be rain proof since I have a dedicated shell for that. Needs to be camo. Needs to be semi-light, say under 23oz or so, so no big fleece jackets. Prefer full zip. Pit zips would be a bonus.

I had a Kuiu Kenai for a while. It did "ok". I'm looking hard at the new FL Sawtooth Hybrid, but I'm not sure how wind resistant it is or if it will keep me warm enough into the 20's. Had a Kryptek Aquillo, just a little too loud for my taste. And, Kryptek never seems to fit me very well. My FL puffy is still my favorite jacket of all time, but again too loud..

Any ideas?

Should I change my mid-layer to something with a wind-lining and some insulation then run something quiet on top?

Or, run something like LLano, something with a hood like Sawtooth Hybrid, and Stratus Vest over it?

Last edited:
This is what I'm thinking about as soon as I can put the new Sitka gear in my hands.

Baselayer- whatever your choice,

Mid- FL Chama , or a fleece

Insulation- new Sitka kelvin active, plus the Sitka flash pullover

Shell-rain jacket

If the kelvin active breathes as well as they say it will it should be way more versatile then my current puffy. The flash is crazy light and both the active plus the flash is lighter than any softshell, but warmer and more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
This is what I'm thinking about as soon as I can put the new Sitka gear in my hands.

Baselayer- whatever your choice,

Mid- FL Chama , or a fleece

Insulation- new Sitka kelvin active, plus the Sitka flash pullover

Shell-rain jacket

If the kelvin active breathes as well as they say it will it should be way more versatile then my current puffy. The flash is crazy light and both the active plus the flash is lighter than any softshell, but warmer and more versatile.

Ya, pretty close to me.

I've personally learned that the Chama just doesn't keep me warm at all, which is why I like the fleece. But like I said, that's just me.

My only concern with the Kelvin Active & Flash would be noise. I need to do some research on them!

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Maybe I should just go hoodless?? Although the one time I do that I know I'll need it!

Ya, pretty close to me.

I've personally learned that the Chama just doesn't keep me warm at all, which is why I like the fleece. But like I said, that's just me.

My only concern with the Kelvin Active & Flash would be noise. I need to do some research on them!

The kelvin active is suppose to be really quite, and if the flash is like the jetstream I'd be fine with that. But again I'll need to get them in my hands first.

Might look into a kuiu peloton 240. It's been my main outer layer the past two seasons and I'm very pleased with it. Probably get you into the high 20s when moving but you will need insulation when you stop. What about a jetstream vest? Either of them will need a jacket when you stop though

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My wife has been rocking the Kelvin Active for a few months. It's a great piece, lightweight, dries and breathes fantastic. But will need a wind breaker over it. The windbreaker is the key to all layering systems. I hate rain gear so I always have a softshell wind stopper with me. But the flash may change that. Here is what I'm thinking this year for September to mid-october.

First Lite Aerowool long sleeve. IMO, it's the perfect baselayer!
Halstead Fleece or Sitka Core Heavyweight
Sitka Kelvin Active or sawtooth jacket. I don't think the sawtooth will be as warm. But I ordered one to see. I had been using the kryptek Borealis and before that the spindrift.
Had been using the Sitka Jetstream. But will use the shell(rain gear) as a wind breaker for backpack hunts. but I hate it.
Flash hoody or OR Helium 2, if there is going to be rain

I'm fat and run HOT. So I don't need much more than this. If I think it will be cold or I know I am going to glass a lot, I will add the FL puffy or OR transcendent puffy.

My wife has been rocking the Kelvin Active for a few months. It's a great piece, lightweight, dries and breathes fantastic. But will need a wind breaker over it. The windbreaker is the key to all layering systems. I hate rain gear so I always have a softshell wind stopper with me. But the flash may change that. Here is what I'm thinking this year for September to mid-october.

First Lite Aerowool long sleeve. IMO, it's the perfect baselayer!
Halstead Fleece or Sitka Core Heavyweight
Sitka Kelvin Active or sawtooth jacket. I don't think the sawtooth will be as warm. But I ordered one to see. I had been using the kryptek Borealis and before that the spindrift.
Had been using the Sitka Jetstream. But will use the shell(rain gear) as a wind breaker for backpack hunts. but I hate it.
Flash hoody or OR Helium 2, if there is going to be rain

I'm fat and run HOT. So I don't need much more than this. If I think it will be cold or I know I am going to glass a lot, I will add the FL puffy or OR transcendent puffy.

Ryan, that's exactly what my thoughts are.
How's the flash and new kelvin as far as sound?
Is the flash the same outer as the jetstream? As I think that's plenty quite

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I'm really liking the Kelvin Active on paper.. Pitzips would be nice but w/e.. Sounds like a solid mid or outer insulation layer for my purposes..

If I do that then like Ryan said, I need a wind resistant layer and I should be good 2 go.. Would like it to be a mid-layer instead of an outer shell.. Not sure if my Halstead will cut it.. The Peloton 240 sounds doable..

I wonder if my arms would be plenty warm if I ran:

FL Llano >> Kuiu Peloton 240 (wind resistant) >> Sitka Stratus Vest (wind proof)

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe I should just go hoodless?? Although the one time I do that I know I'll need it!

Where and what are you hunting?

The only wind proof layer I have is my rain jacket, and it's the only hooded item I have for archery season in Colorado, and I rarely even use the rain jacket.

I use a lightweight merino base top and bottom, microfleece top, and lightweight camo top and bottom for 90% of the archery seasons here. The other 10% I add gaiters, maybe a fleece jacket, and possibly the rain jacket.....and that's it for clothes. Then I adjust my heat level by my exertion level.

Dameon

WKR
I'm an ASAT nut, so keep that in mind, but I layer with a llano, ASAT elite fleece or hooded Chama, ASAT bow hunters jacket, and I pack in my OR transcendent vest and FL stormtight. I always have my FL stormtight gear in my pack as I will not stop hunting or seek shelter from rain unless it is hailing. If there is a lot of pressure, I prefer to hunt bad weather when I know most other hunters are out of the woods. For later season hunts, I add my FL puffy. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but it works for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

The Kelvin Active is church fart quiet.

The Flash is more like a shell, so there is a little noise. I like lightweight rain jackets because I hate rain jackets. The flash while not waterproof is taped and will hold water off long enough. But the material feels more durable than the jackets I have been using. If it is I think I have a winner.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm really liking the Kelvin Active on paper.. Pitzips would be nice but w/e.. Sounds like a solid mid or outer insulation layer for my purposes..

If I do that then like Ryan said, I need a wind resistant layer and I should be good 2 go.. Would like it to be a mid-layer instead of an outer shell.. Not sure if my Halstead will cut it.. The Peloton 240 sounds doable..

I wonder if my arms would be plenty warm if I ran:

FL Llano >> Kuiu Peloton 240 (wind resistant) >> Sitka Stratus Vest (wind proof)

I don't think Pit zips are needed on the Kelvin Active.

I understand the reason people like wearing vests but if it's my main windbreaker, I will take one with sleeves.

warrior80

WKR

For those that haven't seen it, the new Kelvin seemed really similar to the Kuiu Kenai. It's a soft material that is very quiet and comfortable. Seems like it would be a nice piece. I only tried it on at the expo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don't think Pit zips are needed on the Kelvin Active.

I understand the reason people like wearing vests but if it's my main windbreaker, I will take one with sleeves.

I totally agree - they put pit zips on the Kuiu Kenai and in my use they were never needed, so they were just extra weight. Glad they didn't on the kelvin active. Patagonia doesn't put them on the nano air jackets either, and I never felt the need for them with that jacket.

I totally agree - they put pit zips on the Kuiu Kenai and in my use they were never needed, so they were just extra weight. Glad they didn't on the kelvin active. Patagonia doesn't put them on the nano air jackets either, and I never felt the need for them with that jacket.

What's your thought in the nano air vs sitka kelvin active. I LOVE my nano air. So if the kelvin active similar in performance I'll own one.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think the Sitka is going to be even better for hunting, especially with the polygiene treatment. I think they are both rated at 40 CFM, but the fill weight on the Sitka is 80g vs 60 in the nano. I've never used polartech alpha so I'm not sure what kind of stretch the Sitka garment will have, but I LOVE that about the nano air products, their cut and mechanical stretch crushes the Kuiu version in my opinion.

I'd like to own one as well - I've always preferred the fit of Kuiu and their outwear, and I don't like windstopper, but it's really hard not to buy up some subalpine stuff. Wish they did more solids.

Does the Kelvin Active alone have any wind breaking properties?

It should be the opposite.

At least other pieces in a similar vein are.

It will be all about the face fabric they chose to use as alpha itself is suppose to be quite breathable.

Last edited: