Layering post-walk in (Treestand)

Bigolbill

FNG
Hope everyone’s having a good weekend as we kick off archery season here in Ohio.

Preparing for the season and I was looking for a little insight on everyone’s tricks/habits/methods of layering once you get to the treestand.

I’ve got about a mile walk in to the property I hunt. Last year I got into the habit of carrying all my outer layers in with me, and changing my socks once I got to the stand to try to remedy the cold feet issue.

My question is, what do you guys do? Put on your layers before you climb up the stand, or climb up and then put everything on? I’ll admit I’ve done both and I’m not a fan of changing socks in the stand. What are your opinions on making a little noise and rustling around on the ground under your stand or when you’re up in the stand? Pros vs. cons?

Looking forward to hearing some feedback, TIA everyone.

Macintosh

WKR
Is your stand pre-hung? If so, kick the leaves and sticks away from the base and you’ll have a quiet little space to get set up every time youre there—usually its quite a while till your bare spot gets so covered up in new leaves that it isnt still pretty quiet. I personally dont break a sweat climbing 18 or 20 feet of pre-hung ladder so putting layers on from the ground seems fine to me.
If you are hanging your stand and sticks as you go then I typically carry clothes up the tree and zip them on over my saddle or harness as I cool off.

Brillo

FNG
I haven't found a solution that I love. I currently set everything then add layers for final climb. I overheat quickly then suffer once set if I add layers first. I bought the zip off down pants from KUIU to streamline the process.

WCB

WKR
Before I climb up...leave your hat off and if possible the front of our jacket/layers open open if you build heat fast. I like having sweaters or layers with zippers/buttons at least part way down the chest. You can drop A LOT of heat fast or keep from building up heat with these open.

Millerdyl

FNG
I have full length zips on pants that I wear in and leave open and I leave my jacket unzipped. My walks are not nearly as long as yours though. I guess it depends on your hanging method. I use a saddle and I think it would be difficult putting layers on once at height.

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
Is your stand pre-hung? If so, kick the leaves and sticks away from the base and you’ll have a quiet little space to get set up every time youre there—usually its quite a while till your bare spot gets so covered up in new leaves that it isnt still pretty quiet. I personally dont break a sweat climbing 18 or 20 feet of pre-hung ladder so putting layers on from the ground seems fine to me.
If you are hanging your stand and sticks as you go then I typically carry clothes up the tree and zip them on over my saddle or harness as I cool off.
Stand is pre-hung, good call about clearing the ground around it. Some things are so easy it doesn’t even cross my mind to do it lol.

4ckb

FNG
Most of my hunting anymore is done in preset ladder stands or ground blinds. I walk in with the minimal amount of clothes on and the rest on/in my pack. Finish dressing in the blind or at the base of the stand.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I walk in light with base layer top/light fleece and normal hunting pants. Add my bottom layers once I am done setting my sticks then I climb the tree and set up. Once I am cooled down I add upper layers as needed.

As for socks I like to wear a light moisture wicking sock on the walk in and if it’s cold I add a thick merino wool blend sock at the base of the tree.

FLATHEAD

WKR
When I hunted out of a stand I would try to leave plenty of time to cool
down after arriving at my tree. Just dont do anything for 5-10 minutes, cool
down and then start the process of getting up the tree.
I dont do tree stands anymore.
Mother nature always calls for #2 right at daybreak.

Yoder

WKR
Whenever I have a really long walk I just wear a t-shirt and pants. Even if it's 20 degrees. When I get to my tree I dry myself off with the shirt and put on dry clothes. Sometimes I just leave my shirt off until I start getting cold just to stop sweating. As long as I'm dry I never get cold.

I’m all about a layering “system”, but for scenarios like this, I hate dealing with multiple layers. I prefer hiking pants with a midweight baselayer for walking in, then put on one extra layer top and bottom once i get to the stand (on the ground). The downside to this is it requires (for me) at least 2 sets of outer layers for various temps and can get expensive. IE for me a Sitka Stratus top and bottom for cool temps, and a sitka Fanatic system for cold temps. Wheres normally I could layer up and down with just say the stratus system for any temp, I dont like fooling with all those layers at the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxsoup

FNG
If it’s cold I’ll change into my stratus bibs at the base of the tree, then layer the top as needed.

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
I’m all about a layering “system”, but for scenarios like this, I hate dealing with multiple layers. I prefer hiking pants with a midweight baselayer for walking in, then put on one extra layer top and bottom once i get to the stand (on the ground). The downside to this is it requires (for me) at least 2 sets of outer layers for various temps and can get expensive. IE for me a Sitka Stratus top and bottom for cool temps, and a sitka Fanatic system for cold temps. Wheres normally I could layer up and down with just say the stratus system for any temp, I dont like fooling with all those layers at the stand.

Yeah I already have the fanatic set & stratus bibs/traverse jacket. The layering system isn’t an issue, I was just curious whether it’d be better to layer before or after climbing a pre hung ladder stand. I’ve tried both but I feel it would bring less attention in the woods to change before the climb and take my time getting up so I don’t break a sweat. Pretty easy to start sweating with some of sitka’s gear, thankfully most of their stuff has venting capabilities.

Travis907

WKR
Most of my hunting anymore is done in preset ladder stands or fixed position stands. I walk in with the minimal amount of clothes on and the remaining clothes I carry in my pack. I Finish dressing at the base of the tree.

If I am using my climber I do the same process but might not put my outer top layer on until I arrive at my desired hunting height. I break more of a sweat with the climber so I climb slow and might wait till I cool off a little until I put the outer layer on. Definitely easier to put the top outer layer on in the treestand than bottoms or bibs!

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Walk in:
Hiking pants, light socks, merino baselayer top, ballcap

Before climbing up:
Warmer/dry socks, zip on baselayer bottoms, midlayer top, bibs

After climbing up and cooling down for 20-30 minutes:
Put on vest and/or coat, warmer gloves, beanie, neck gaiter etc.

If its really cold, I'll bring an extra seat cushion to put my feet on.
Having something warm to eat/drink in the stand can go a long ways too.

Brendan

WKR
I've gone as far as putting trash bags over my feet before putting them in my boots. Do the walk in, cool down, then take off boots, bags, socks leaving you with completely dry boots and swap on a a fresh & dry pair of socks for a long sit. Pain in the rear, but worth it if it's a long sit in cold weather.

Adhesive toe warmers and boot blankets are your friend for cold feet.
A stupid warm hat is always nice.
Im a vest guy so a heavy insulated vest helps and still lets me shoot my bow.
As stated above dry is warm and damp usually results in cold.
Plan accordingly

Mosby

WKR
I change at the bottom of the stand but I would never take my boots off in the woods unless I had a problem. I wear light weight hat and gloves walking in and might switch them out at some point with something warmer, if its cold but once I get up in the tree stand I move as little as possible.