Layering question, frustrated, PA

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
So, this is only my second deer season and my layering is all out of wack. I flyfish year -round, so this shouldn't be this hard, but it is, and I was wondering if I could ask for some advice for the following weather. I listed what I have below. What could I use, what should I consider selling, and what do I need? My budget is somewhere around $300. I do not have to fix all of this, this year. I am probably overthinking it, but for some reason, all of last season and the start of this season I am usually too cold in the stand and occasionally too hot walking around.

I have fly-fished for decades, and here is my fall/winter set up: midweight thermals, heavy socks, heater packets in my feet, fleece sweats, waders, wicking underwear, Blue REI t-shirt, long-sleeve lightweight baselayer, 1/4 zip fleece top, puffy coat, fleece beanie, and frogg togg raincoat if needed. That has worked well down to the '20s in a snowstorm in Yellowstone. Yet, I can't seem to transition this kit to hunting.

What I need this for:
Archery: (Mostly tree stand hunting in Central PA)
1. Next two weeks- high mid 60's, low 40's.
2. Mid October through mid -November, high 50's, low 30's

Rifle, if needed. (Mostly stand hunting in Central PA)
3. Late November, high 30's, low 20's

Late Archery if needed. (Mostly stand hunting in Central PA)
4. mid 30's, low 20's

Here is all the camo I have:
1. A L/S T-shirt, from redhead
2. Kuiu Attack Pants
3. Kuiu Peloton 97
4. Cabelas Strata Glove/Mitt combo

Here are my baselayers:
5. Midweight duo fold, blue
6. Fleece wader sweatpants, black
7. Cabela's lightweight top, grey
8. Decathalon midweight 1/4 zip fleece, black
9. Ex officio boxer briefs
10. A Mix of wool socks
11. An REI t-shirt, blue

Here is my non-camo outerwear:
1. Frogg Togg rain jacket- Blue
2. Barbour Beaufort- Olive, with an insulated vest ( I use it for work, but man is it sturdy.)
3. Decathalon Black Puffy hoody Jacket
4. Light blue fleece beanie

Here is my orange stuff for Rifle:
Orange Carhart wool hat
Orange vest
Orange ball caps

Thank you.

KMW

FNG
I hunt PA as well. Here is my layering system that works for me. I basically use the same system all season and just take off or add layers based on temp and activity level.

-Mid-weight merino top
-Mid-weight fleece quarter zip
-Flannel
-Guide Vest (windproof)
-Synthetic puffy (insulation)
-Rain shell (if necessary)

Bottom
-Mid-weight merino bottoms
-Attack Pants (Over 40 degrees)
-Guide Pants (Under 40 degrees)
-Rain pants (if necessary)

I sweat no matter what I'm wearing if I hike any distance, so I don't have any good advice for staying cool other than wear as little as possible when moving and pack the rest.

I have a pair of synthetic puffy pants that I throw in the mix if it's below 30 for a high. For the most part, I walk to the tree in just my outer layer pants and merino top, then layer up at the tree. I highly recommend zip-off bottom base layers. Both my merino and puffy bottoms are zip off and I will hike to my tree, drop my outer pants and put the base layers on without having to remove my boots. They are easy to remove then when going from stationary to mobile as well.

My biggest issue is keeping my feet warm on stand. My feet sweat as soon as I start walking. I started wearing lightweight socks to walk in then swapping those out for a dry pair of heavier merino socks at the base of the tree before climbing up, but that's a real pain...this year I am going to try Arctic Shield Boot covers with a hand warmer thrown in.

A big help keeping warm on stand is a fleece beanie and neck gaiter that you can pull up over your face and breathe into...makes a big difference for me anyway.

This is what works for me...hope you might find it helpful.

PMcGee

WKR
You’re probably wearing to much on your way in. Unless it’s very cold I’ll walk in with shorts or just my base layers. Then I get dressed when I get to my tree. Make sure to put dry socks on. Arctic shield boot blankets with a hand warmer in each keeps my feet warm. My boots aren’t insulated. Throw a hand warmer your neck gaiter if it’s cold. My layering system isn’t much different then yours. I do have some predator fleece I wear when it’s below 40. I sat all day last year in November and it was 14 degrees in the morning highs were in the 20’s and i was pretty comfortable. I also take my stove and make something warm mid day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
So, I was thinking, from fly fishing, I have a lot of layers, but never really needed a bottom outer layer (waders covered that) and didn't really like a windproof upper layer as all that casting makes me warm up. Sitting still is very different. What about the first lite corrugate series as an outer wind and rain layer?

Pawvbow

FNG
The best thing I’ve learned to do , that most of the guys I hunt with don’t do, is whether it’s 60 degrees or 5 degrees I wear only a long sleeve T-shirt and a light pair of pants hiking in and carry the rest in a pack.When I get close to my stand I’ll take the shirt off and put in a plastic bag. Also as mentioned I wear light socks and a light boot but then put on the arctic shield boot blankets , which I used last year for the first time and absolutely love, ill put a hand warmer on top of the toe of my boot and slide boot into boot blanket. I may look like a fool carrying a pack that is normally used for western hunts but I’m able to set all day and be comfortable.

FL corrugate isn't very warm at all. I don't think it's going to do much for you. I have the FL unpronounceable set, I carry it and will zip it on over what I'm wearing, it's pretty warm. I won't wear it around, one thorn would shred it. I just put it on while sitting.

In all honesty for $300 I'd get an iwom. You aren't going to get cold in that, it's a little heavy to carry. I don't know how far your hiking in, you could wear shorts and a tee shirt in 45 degree weather and get in an iwom and not even need to zip it up.

Biggest thing is making sure you don't get too wet from sweat while walking in. That's going to make it hard to fight the cold off. Wear as little as possible walking in. If going very far and you can't help but sweat consider changing clothes. Put what you had on in a trash bag to hide the scent.

Slow down your walk to the stand. I try to get there plenty early and just take my time going in. I'll stop often and wait 30 seconds before moving again. Trying to walk like a deer. It's stealthier and you won't work up a sweat on the way in.

Rich M

WKR
Gonna be hunting in another week or so - supposed to be lows 40s and highs mid 60s. Nice hunting weather.

Basically, be wearing jeans, cabelas ultimax socks, rubber boots, long sleeve T shirt, maybe flannel or long john/sweat shirt top, fleece jacket, fleece beanie, gloves. 1/ 2 mile walk to stand, so I try to walk in without outer layers, to keep sweating down. Then once in stand and cooled down, will put on flannel/long john top, then when get cool , will add fleece jacket (single layer).

Seems like you have plenty of stuff. I'd think about a pair of insulated bibs and maybe boot covers for cold weather hunting.

Reactions: WCB

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
This has been a life saver for me when all else has failed. If it gets really cold I just drop a handwarmer in them. pack them in in your bag, when you get set up, put them over your boots before your feet get cold.

WCB

WKR
I hunt MN and the Dakotas a lot late season MZ and Archer. BIBS...get a good set of bibs and pull them over everything including your jacket.

Also, If your feet are an issue at all. When you get in the stand loosen up your boots or get the boot slipper things and pull them over your boots after loosening.

Forget most of the KUIU, FIrst light stuff IMO. I have some of it and I have even ditched most of it for backpack hunting as it is designed for. Honestly I hunt a lot in merino base layers and wrangler insulated Jeans and pull bibs over.

As stated above go with as little on as you can and layer up once at the base of the tree. For stand hunting you still can not convince me anything is as good as a good quality set of wool.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
So, this is only my second deer season and my layering is all out of wack. I flyfish year -round, so this shouldn't be this hard, but it is, and I was wondering if I could ask for some advice for the following weather. I listed what I have below. What could I use, what should I consider selling, and what do I need? My budget is somewhere around $300. I do not have to fix all of this, this year. I am probably overthinking it, but for some reason, all of last season and the start of this season I am usually too cold in the stand and occasionally too hot walking around.

I have fly-fished for decades, and here is my fall/winter set up: midweight thermals, heavy socks, heater packets in my feet, fleece sweats, waders, wicking underwear, Blue REI t-shirt, long-sleeve lightweight baselayer, 1/4 zip fleece top, puffy coat, fleece beanie, and frogg togg raincoat if needed. That has worked well down to the '20s in a snowstorm in Yellowstone. Yet, I can't seem to transition this kit to hunting.

What I need this for:
Archery: (Mostly tree stand hunting in Central PA)
1. Next two weeks- high mid 60's, low 40's.
2. Mid October through mid -November, high 50's, low 30's

Rifle, if needed. (Mostly stand hunting in Central PA)
3. Late November, high 30's, low 20's

Late Archery if needed. (Mostly stand hunting in Central PA)
4. mid 30's, low 20's

Here is all the camo I have:
1. A L/S T-shirt, from redhead
2. Kuiu Attack Pants
3. Kuiu Peloton 97
4. Cabelas Strata Glove/Mitt combo

Here are my baselayers:
5. Midweight duo fold, blue
6. Fleece wader sweatpants, black
7. Cabela's lightweight top, grey
8. Decathalon midweight 1/4 zip fleece, black
9. Ex officio boxer briefs
10. A Mix of wool socks
11. An REI t-shirt, blue

Here is my non-camo outerwear:
1. Frogg Togg rain jacket- Blue
2. Barbour Beaufort- Olive, with an insulated vest ( I use it for work, but man is it sturdy.)
3. Decathalon Black Puffy hoody Jacket
4. Light blue fleece beanie

Here is my orange stuff for Rifle:
Orange Carhart wool hat
Orange vest
Orange ball caps

Thank you.
You've probably already fixed this....but I'm going to give my two cents anyway. Maybe it will help someone else.

I live in NW PA and what I would say (and this is probably going to sound weird) is get yourself Aclima Woolnet baselayers and an Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca Crewneck long sleeve. I think if you get those two things you can use what you already have for outerwear with no issue. One point of caution, this could be an issue if you are looking to be busting through brush on your way to the stand/blind, in that case you'll need something more durable over top.

It sounds to me like your issue is moisture management and nothing IMO manages moisture better than mesh baselayers. The other key is to just wear a baselayer and thin, breatheable midlayer when you are walking out to the stand/blind. Once you are there layer on top your outerwear. You should be mildly cold when you start out walking because once you get moving you are going to heat up and you're going to overheat and sweat if you have too much on. Once you stop, put another layer on.

*Note, I wouldn't recommend wearing blue if you're hunting cervids as they tend to see the blue end of the spectrum much better.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
I hunt PA. My favorite gear is wool. Merino wool for all my base layers and socks. When it's really cold with no rain I have Cabelas windshear wooltimate pants with the jacket. You can't walk around in those, you will sweat to death. If it's wet I have a 3 in 1 parka that's waterproof and quiet. The liner zips out for warm weather. I also have some quiet waterproof pants that pull over whatever I'm wearing. The jacket is Cabelas brand and the pants are just some no name pair off of amazon. My go to boots are insulated leather Danner boots then when it's really cold I have a pair of pack boots from Cabelas. Only reason I went with a lot of Cabelas gear is they are relatively cheap and worked well for my style of hunting.

The biggest thing to being warm is staying dry. If it's really cold and I have to pack in a stand, I wear regular pants and my merino base layer top. That's it. Doesn't matter if it's 15 degrees. Everything else is lashed to my stand or in a pack. If I start sweating bad I'll remove the shirt when I get in and use it to towel off then just put my jacket on without it. As long as I'm dry I usually stay warm.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt PA. My favorite gear is wool. Merino wool for all my base layers and socks. When it's really cold with no rain I have Cabelas windshear wooltimate pants with the jacket. You can't walk around in those, you will sweat to death. If it's wet I have a 3 in 1 parka that's waterproof and quiet. The liner zips out for warm weather. I also have some quiet waterproof pants that pull over whatever I'm wearing. The jacket is Cabelas brand and the pants are just some no name pair off of amazon. My go to boots are insulated leather Danner boots then when it's really cold I have a pair of pack boots from Cabelas. Only reason I went with a lot of Cabelas gear is they are relatively cheap and worked well for my style of hunting.

The biggest thing to being warm is staying dry. If it's really cold and I have to pack in a stand, I wear regular pants and my merino base layer top. That's it. Doesn't matter if it's 15 degrees. Everything else is lashed to my stand or in a pack. If I start sweating bad I'll remove the shirt when I get in and use it to towel off then just put my jacket on without it. As long as I'm dry I usually stay warm.
Yep, stay dry and block the wind. That's most important

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
“Starting cold” is a backpacking strategy I’ve used since I learned it about 30 years ago now.

When packing in anywhere in cold weather you must be cold in order to be comfortable once you’re trekking. It sucks, but it’s the most efficient way to get somewhere and get set up quickly.

I’ve learned that then laying over my sweaty base layers actually dries them and warmed me up with good quality merino base layers.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
You’re going to sweat on the way in, but you should be able to stay warm on stand all the way down to 0 or colder. I wear 2 hats, neck warmer, mountaineer wool socks, and pop top mittens. See if you can find any used Cabelas Wooltimate gear—it’s heavy but I never get cold anymore. I wear mostly wool for base layers too.

ERegs

FNG
I hunt north west PA and NY. Get a pair of bibs/overalls. I got the asio heavyweight I think it’s called. Spend the money on the bibs. I did it this year and have never been warmer. Used to be cold all the time. Sat in 7 degrees all day this year for a few days. Just wear mid weight merino bottoms under a pair of dicikes. Walk to the stand like that put the bibs on once on stand.
-Merino top mideweight.
- hoodie with sweatshirt or fleece,
-down vest
- fleece or wool shirt over down vest(to quiet the down vest).
- When it’s really cold I got an Irish wool fisherman’s sweater(like $65) put on top of all that. This will get you through the whole season from start to finish along with a beanie, neck gaiter, and gloves along with orange. Just subtract/add as temp calls for it.
PM for any questions.