Layering Question-Proper layering KUIU vs Sitka vs Cabela's

wade0731

FNG
Hello all!

I am hunting in the midwest (Northern Missouri). You never know what the temps will be here it could be 50 in November or 10...
Last year it was pretty cold so I am preparing for that. Here is what I have so far and looking for some reccomendations.

Base layer: Lightweight Merino boxers, lightweight merino long johns and lightweight merino long sleeve
Mid layer: Heavyweight Merino zip up for a shirt and 600 fill weight scent lock pants.
Insulation layer: Cabela's 600 fill weight Puffy jacket

Looking to add some good bibs and a shell possibly. What would you add or take away from this?

HuntNTag

WKR
I think you will be fine as long as you have a warm insulation layer and a good external layer.

You mentioned bibs. Kuiu definitely caters to the mountain/ sheep hunter with everything ultralight. I use kuiu personally but Sitka caters much more to the whitetail hunter.

Their incinerator is great for November to January hunt times.

One thing to know. Wear your merino in warmer temps and use polyester in the colder temps.

Merino doesn’t smell when you sweat because it prevents the bacteria from developing. If you were to work up a sweat walking to your stand or whatever you are doing during your hunt, the water will stay on your clothing much longer and possibly cause you to be cold since merino will pull moisture away from your skin but it won’t evaporate very fast.

Polyester on the other hand will dry much quicker so it will pull the moisture from your skin during those cooler days yet the moisture won’t be lingering as long to cool you down.

Merino=warmer weather
Polyester=cooler weather

OP
W

wade0731

FNG
I think you will be fine as long as you have a warm insulation layer and a good external layer.

You mentioned bibs. Kuiu definitely caters to the mountain/ sheep hunter with everything ultralight. I use kuiu personally but Sitka caters much more to the whitetail hunter.

Their incinerator is great for November to January hunt times.

One thing to know. Wear your merino in warmer temps and use polyester in the colder temps.

Merino doesn’t smell when you sweat because it prevents the bacteria from developing. If you were to work up a sweat walking to your stand or whatever you are doing during your hunt, the water will stay on your clothing much longer and possibly cause you to be cold since merino will pull moisture away from your skin but it won’t evaporate very fast.

Polyester on the other hand will dry much quicker so it will pull the moisture from your skin during those cooler days yet the moisture won’t be lingering as long to cool you down.

Merino=warmer weather
Polyester=cooler weather

That is some good info to know about the merino vs polyester. Thank you! What do you look for in a would the puffy jacket I have be considered the insulation layer? Really all I would need is a good jacket over that and some bibs to top it off right?

HuntNTag

WKR
That is some good info to know about the merino vs polyester. Thank you! What do you look for in a would the puffy jacket I have be considered the insulation layer? Really all I would need is a good jacket over that and some bibs to top it off right?

Personally, if I’m sitting for long periods of time, down is great. Warm and super packable.

The kuiu super down and super down pro is great. Sitka has down in their bibs, or you can find others on the market that are similar.

Down is great for sitting. Something puffy synthetic is great if you are hiking a lot due to its breathability.

Matias

FNG
the Sitka website has the builder system for layering that i found helpful