Layering question

kda082

WKR
Below zero in the AM with crazy wind chills. It's our antler less season and I always get out on New Years. I've got base layers and good parka options. I have a 700 fill marmot puffy and a nice Columbia bow hunting jacket with that silver lining insulate. Which would be better over the base layer as a mid layer? I also have fleece pullover I could use. I'm ground hunting and using a sleeping bag also to keep my feet and legs warm. I'm hoping to stick it out until 11-12. With cold temps movement is sometimes mid morning.

mt100gr.

WKR
Get a shell over that puffy, make sure you have something insulated to sit on and eat a hearty breakfast. Probably goes.without saying but good neck gaiter, good beanie, keep your hands inside that sleeping bag and hang tough. Maybe even a couple chemical heat packs for.the extremities so you don't get tempted to walk. Good luck.

I am not sure why it has become poplar to go from base layer to a heavy mid layer. A lightweight polyester base, then a merino mid weight baselayer , then a wool button up, then the down jacket or vest, plus a shell would keep you warm for a long time.

elkduds

WKR
Nalgene bottles full of HOT water. Take a few in an insulated cooler, put one in your sleeping bag. I use a fleece balaclava, I can layer under or over it: beanie, earband, Elmer Fudd or Stormy Kromer hat. Balaclava can cover chin as well. Insulate under your boots as well as your butt.

Merino base, heavy fleece, puffy, windproof parka.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
Thanks guys. Will do the gaiter, also have a fleece balaclava I can use. We just don't get this cold or if we do I'm chasing geese which doesn't require quite as much sitting still. Maybe a coffee thermos also. Good luck to those still hunting.

Dameon

WKR
I always take a coffee thermos on late season hunts. When the cold really starts getting to you, a few sips of refreshing hot coffee can keep you out longer. It adds warmth to your body and soul. I don’t worry about the scent if it means the difference between hunting longer or calling it a day. Bonus points if you’re playing the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
Check out the Hill People Gear YouTube channel. On one of the “Longhouse” videos he goes over all types of layering options. It’s a really informative video. I think the video is “Longhouse: Clothing System”. I learned a lot from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
No luck. Had a group right at first light right after I got snugged in to my bag. Came in directly downwind, not expected and blew. Hadn't even taken the caps off scope, oh well. -6 when I left at 10. It's interesting seeing how the body and equipment react to adverse conditions. My feet were the weak link even with the bag and chemical warmers. One more shot this afternoon and then time to give it up. Been a long deer season. Thanks for the tips and video suggestions.

woods89

WKR
I read this thread with interest last night as I knew it was going to be really cold this morning and I was planning on heading out. Muzzleloader season here. We had temps around -1 at dawn with windchills in the negative teens. I was comfortable enough to sit till about 10. Here's what I used.

Redhead ECWCS poly base layers
Redhead 1856 windproof wool pants
Pendleton wool button down
46 rail tech softshell jacket
fleece blaze vest

Feet-Darn Tough merino socks and Sorel pac boots

Hands-Redhead rag wool gloves

Head- fleece backlava and blaze stocking cap

And the MVP of the morning- A 25$ ebay surplus USGI patrol bag

I had never used a sleeping bag for sitting in cold weather before and am now sold. I wouldn't have lasted 30 min without it this morning. It for sure allowed me to keep my hands and feet warmer than expected.

I also had 3 eggs, some cheese, yogurt, and a banana for breakfast hoping to give myself a bunch of calories.

One thing I have learned in the last few years is to keep your vehicle borderline chilly on the way out to your hunting spot. I also usually wait to put my outer jackets on till I get out of the truck. No comparison between getting out there sweaty or staying dry.

This is a great thread! My hat is off to you guys who hunt a lot in sub zero weather!