Layering under Sitka Stratus

Interested in the stratus jacket / pants for a do it all whitetail system. What kind of layers under these would get me into the high teens / low 20s when stationary?

The issue I would have run into with the Stratus jacket for layering would be the arms would have gotten too snug. I couldn't commit to it for that reason, but that was a few years ago and unsure if the design has changed. But it's a sweet jacket and pretty quiet. Maybe a good vest to keep the core warm and then the arms wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Thinking about doing the same thing. I have the newest Fanatic set, which is SUPER warm but very bulky.

Wearing a celcius midi under my stratus has gotten me through mornings below freezing with ease. Looking at the Kuiu down jacket and pants for next year, as they're lighter and warmer than the celcius midi line up.

I honestly think a mid to heavy weight merino base layer, decent down jacket, and stratus could get you through anything.

Heavyweight merino for me. I don't go to the teens with Stratus, I switch to fanatic.

But, with merino, I'd be comfortable to thirties. I'm thinking about getting a fanatic vest though, over the Stratus that thing is super comfortable and WARM. Could see you getting to lower temps with the vest.

I wear puffy pants/jacket under my stratus stuff when it's balls cold out. Usually strip down and change into them after I get to where I'm going so I don't die of a heat stroke on the way there. It's kept me warm in some pretty nasty weather.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I just bought a stratus set so I have not used it yet. I have used about everything else Sitka and First Lite has for stand hunting. I am not sure if you run hot or cold, but you might be pushing it to get Stratus set to serve your needs into the temps you suggested. Unless you sized up, you won't be able to add many layers, which would defeat the purpose of the garment anyways. It's meant to be sleek. I have personally ditched puffy layers for "layering." They will work but they are meant to remain puffy to insulate. I would wear midi pants and midi jacket under stratus as main insulation layer. They are extremely warm and meant to be worn under outer layers. As a base layer you could wear first lite furnace set with the thinnest next to skin layer you have. You will want to test this first to make sure you can fit those layers under stratus outer layers. You could also look into heated garments.

I did it. I have since moved to a first light bib and jacket, but it works. I did a puffy and grid fleece for low temps. I works but I just found it copumberosme and prefer to step up to an insulated garment when it gets cold.