Layers For Colorado 3rd Rifle?

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty close to deciding on a 3rd rifle hunt somewhere in Southwest Colorado. This hunt is around the 1st week of November. I have a bunch of First Lite gear already, but curious what you might recommend. For instance, do I need North Branch pants? I have all the mid weight tops and Uncompagre. Do I need a Labrador sweater, or would I be good to go with llano, chama, and fleece under the puffy? Do I need rain pants?

I'm from Louisiana, so I'm not used to too much cold weather.

I'll likely set up a truck camp to start, but would like to spike in a few nights. Thanks for any help. Just trying to plan what I need to get between now and then.

I use heavy wool in November. It's cold in town, and really cold up in the mountains. Especially at night. There's a 10-15* temp difference between my house and where I hunt.

Layers are your best option I'd rather be to warm and able to shed clothes vs to cold and not have enough. But season also depends on weather last year I guided in a tshirt the last weekend of 3rd Rifle

mdfanatic

FNG
I wished I could be surprised one year and freeze due to lack of clothing. But it seems like the years I hit Colorado (last year being the most recent), a pair of thermals and one layer worked just fine. I always gear up hoping for snow, inclement weather, and have the gaiters ready. Then I get there and it's hot and dry.

Yes on the rain pants. I'd bring gaiters as well. I like the Sitka Timberlines for 3rd Season here. I also have a pair of Kuiu Merino 145 zip off bottoms just in case. Last year I got blood all over my Timberlines so the next day I wore my Ascents with the Merino 145 zip off bottoms and I was fine. Like a lot of people said you never know with the weather here.

Bulldawg

WKR
I never pack rain pants, and only once did i wish i did, so I will continue to not pack them in Colorado as I will just deal with being a little cold for a little while if it does happen to rain. A good base layer and a good pant is all I need, have thought about getting some puffy pants though just cause. Up top I have a good base layer, usually a fleece and a softshell since I will be most likely not packed in very far and on horseback, with a puffy and a rain jacket. It is pretty much the same thing i bring in the early season buy my base layers may be a little thicker in the later seasons, Archery through 4th rifle looks very similar for my setup.

ericF

WKR
As always it will be a crapshoot. As others have mentioned, last year was somewhat of an anomaly and we still had 70's well into November. As for a Rain Paint/Jacket, i've never needed them past the first season. Most of the moisture is going to be coming in the form of snow versus rain. If you have them great, bring them and leave them at camp, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy some.

topher89

WKR
No rain pants. I think the North Branch's would be good if it is a typical year. I normally wear a pair of Patagonia softshell pants with a thick wool layer. Last year, due to the warmth, it was softshell pants and no base layer and even that was too warm.

Your top layers sound good but I would add the Springer Vest or some other similar vest. I always back a down vest and have used it a handful of times when it was super cold

topher89

WKR
It may have been cooler there.

Kremmling hit 73° on November 15.

The last day of archery was colder than the last day of third rifle for me.

I wasn't too far from there and was sweating like a big in Llano t-shirt.... it was definitely in the 70's this last year

I remember setting up camp in the snow at about 9,500', but that just goes to show you how different Colorado can be.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moral of the thread.... Plan for a 50 degree swing say 10-60 degrees +/- for altitude.

It's so hard to recommend clothing for Colorado. Every square mile is it's own climate.

What I would add (assuming you want to stay with Firstlite) uncompahgre vest instead of Labrador, uncompahgre pants, gaiters.

OP
D

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks fellas. I have a Costco puffy and gaiters already that I will throw in. I have corrugated pants and a few base layers for the bottom. I have some Core4 rain pants to keep in the truck.

Sounds like I'll probably be able to skip the North Branch pants?

For a rain jacket I'll probably pack my ultralight Northface (even though it's blue) rather than lug my heavy Inder Armor shell or drop $300 on something new. I have a baby in the way this summer so I'm trying not to buy too much. Sounds like I pretty much have it covered.

Thanks again fellas. This will be my first elk hunt. I wouldn't have a chance at even making a pack list if it wasn't for this forum and your generosity in sharing your knowledge.

Doug

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read all the responses so sorry if repeating. For all my 2013-2016 late October into December hunts

Base for me is merino in medium weights or light if it's warm (expedition weight bottoms on one cold hunt when I glassed a lot) and either First Lite compression socks or smart wool

Mid to Outer:

First Lite: Labrador, Uncompahgre, Stormtight Jacket (if precip), Kanab, Stormtight Pant or North Branch and two Uncompahgre Jackets if really cold

Kryptek: Vellus Jacket/Pant or Anorak Jacket/Vellus pant if it's really cold.

I'm not a backpacker but I hunt a lot of backcountry and hike a plenty

Last edited:

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I think the biggest factor here is your hunting style. Do you spend lots of time sitting? Or are you constantly" moving around? For me, 3rd season I sit for a little before sunup and then hike most of the day. Then sit a little more at sun down. For that, I use a base layer, then chama, then uncompahgre. Biggest cold spots while sitting are toes and fingers. FL Gloves work well for that. And a good boot with a good wool sock should keep the toes warm, combined with wiggling them frequently. For pants, I have had good luck with the Kanabs with a heavy long under wear layer. Then, when I'm moving around, I ditch the lower long underware and the chama.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with ColoradoHunterHiker. Totally depends on activity level, elevation, and what the weather decides to do. Last year was weird, one day as I was hiking around on foot I was more than comfortable in a base layer top and mountain/timberline pants with my puffy in my pack for glassing sessions. Next moring we rode horses to 10k + at 3 am and I had a base layer, heavyweight hoody, kelvin lite hoody, jetstream, and coldfront just on my upper body. After a few hours of riding we still had to stop and build a fire because we were too cold... so if I were you I'd bring everything in the truck and just decide as the weather rolls in.
I'd have raingear personally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think the biggest factor here is your hunting style. Do you spend lots of time sitting? Or are you constantly" moving around? For me, 3rd season I sit for a little before sunup and then hike most of the day. Then sit a little more at sun down. For that, I use a base layer, then chama, then uncompahgre. Biggest cold spots while sitting are toes and fingers. FL Gloves work well for that. And a good boot with a good wool sock should keep the toes warm, combined with wiggling them frequently. For pants, I have had good luck with the Kanabs with a heavy long under wear layer. Then, when I'm moving around, I ditch the lower long underware and the chama.

You may not know your hunting style until you arrive. Situations vary, injuries happen...this is when carrying a Woobie is smart.