Lead Free Ammo

Did anyone ever try lead free ammo, like the Nosler E-tip, or other brands out there. Just curious how they hold together on Elk.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
4 7mm ttsx through a cow moose at 75 yards, all held together caught the one that went through both shoulder blades under off side hide, all others exited.

I’ve used lead free bullets for the last decade. Etips/ttsx/trophy copper. All can shoot well and have taken deer/elk/moose for me. I never expect a huge wound channel or a massive blood trail and have only found one bullet, but I don’t really go for the shoulder/anchoring shot. I did hit one shoulder on a cow one time at 75yds and still couldn’t find the bullet. The insides are always jelly for me and most drop right on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
People have been overwhelmingly happy with the results of shooting barnes bullets. In CA my family has killed their share. I still don't choose them out of state, but they work well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Did anyone ever try lead free ammo, like the Nosler E-tip, or other brands out there. Just curious how they hold together on Elk.
I don’t us anything else but lead free. Usually Barnes Vortx 7mm Rem Mag on elk. Recovered the shot - a pretty copper mushroom - from a bull elk, shot at 157 yards. Use lighter caliber Nosler lead free in .257 Weatherby for deer and Pronghorn. Good for hunters and good for the environment.

Gila

WKR
Killed a bull with a GMX last year. Good mushroom and pass through. Dropped in his tracks. One shot and done. 130 gr. Out of a .270 win

I’ve used 150 grain E tips and they worked very well on an elk at 400 yards didn’t take a step. It was pushing the limits of what I wanted to shoot as they need more FPS supposedly. I was very high altitude so the ballistic chart showed enough speed and pretty good energy. I found they are tougher to get good groups for me and have been testing Barnes LRX with good results so far but it’s been hard finding the ammo. I’ve also used GMX on deer out of a 6.5 and worked very well at 150 yards. The ballistics of the GMX steered me towards the E tip and preferably the 168 which has very impressive energy just wish I could get them to group. The Barnes and GMX were most accurate for me but from running the ballistics the E tips were impressive. Currently shooting 162 ELDX out of my 7 mag as I can’t find much lead free at a reasonable price.

I’ve used 150 grain E tips and they worked very well on an elk at 400 yards didn’t take a step. It was pushing the limits of what I wanted to shoot as they need more FPS supposedly. I was very high altitude so the ballistic chart showed enough speed and pretty good energy. I found they are tougher to get good groups for me and have been testing Barnes LRX with good results so far but it’s been hard finding the ammo. I’ve also used GMX on deer out of a 6.5 and worked very well at 150 yards. The ballistics of the GMX steered me towards the E tip and preferably the 168 which has very impressive energy just wish I could get them to group. The Barnes and GMX were most accurate for me but from running the ballistics the E tips were impressive. Currently shooting 162 ELDX out of my 7 mag as I can’t find much lead free at a reasonable price.
Forgot to mention I didn’t recover bullet on elk on the deer GMX held together well.

TomJoad

WKR
I prefer Hammer Hunters if you can reload. Otherwise Barnes. I run the 137 HH at 3000fps out of a 308, minimal recoil and does the job on elk and deer

My sheep this year was at 518 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor out of a 21” barrel using Barnes Factory 127 LRX. Impact was around 1900 FPS and 1100 ft lbs.
Complete pass through on the shoulder, destroying it. I was definitely impressed by the performance of that bullet, even at those lower velocities.
On Elk I would not hesitate to use LRX personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I (we share a rifle) have used 7mm-08 140gr e-tip on bull moose 200yds pass thru no shoulders. Mule deer 350yds pass thru no shoulders and whitetail under 100 pass thru hit both shoulders