Lead poisoning in eagles

Because they are pushing the banning of lead the hardest. Why don't other states simply ban lead for virtually everything, like California is doing?
Did you read my entire post?

One of the biologists leading this is a hunter, and shoots lots of lead.

Billinsd

WKR
Did you read my entire post?

One of the biologists leading this is a hunter, and shoots lots of lead.
LOL I sure did, LOL. Is he the only hunter?? LOL He shoots a lot of lead target shooting, so what? Did you read what I wrote? You didn't understand it. LOL So he hunts, there are plenty of hunters that are foolish and are working feverishly to limit and restrict hunting for all kinds of reasons. I disagree with what they are doing and call them out.

LOL I sure did, LOL. Is he the only hunter?? LOL He shoots a lot of lead target shooting, so what? Did you read what I wrote? You didn't understand it. LOL So he hunts, there are plenty of hunters that are foolish and are working feverishly to limit and restrict hunting for all kinds of reasons. I disagree with what they are doing and call them out.
Yeah, I read the nonsense.

I forgot to put my tinfoil hat on. I'll go get it, I'm sure it will help it make sense.

Billinsd

WKR
Yeah, I read the nonsense.

I forgot to put my tinfoil hat on. I'll go get it, I'm sure it will help it make sense.
Skip the tinfoil hat, take a reading compression class. Read a bunch of books, it will help you make coherent arguments. Bruh!!

I'm working on it. This came up a few years ago and there was a disease that had been blamed on lead that was found....but I can't recall exactly what it is.

Interesting that eagles feed on roadkill frequently and there's no study on glycol poisoning.

Here's some information on bird deaths....lead being a non contributing factor. https://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/
Care to share?

This is much more plausible

Think of the amount of Lead and total number of carcasses and densities of those carcass it would take to have a significant population effect on eagles, not to mention the other birds like hawks that should also be found near buy

Could be. I don’t know much about isotopes and wouldn’t claim to. (Although what I do know suggests there isn’t “thousands of products” that have the same isotopic signature as lead in bullets). Either way, what is the evidence that suggests something else with the same isotopic signature as lead bullets is causing the lead levels commonly observed in raptors and other scavenging wildlife?
the metallic lead is only specific to raptors , it’s has minimal effect on vultures.

When you factor in the amount of carcasses it would take and the density of those carcasses, due to fact Raptors would have to compete with mammals and vultures for those carcasses it’s gets to be pretty thin probably.

WRO

WKR
There is a range between causing developmental issues and lead poisoning. Eating game shot with lead is associated with elevated lead levels in the blood. Children are considered more susceptible to the effects of lead. Do what you please, but it is not unreasonable in my eye to limit the exposure of lead to children.

You do not need acute lead toxicity to cause harm and hunting certainly is a source of lead exposure in humans.
"The highest single measured blood lead concentration in this study was 221 mg/L. This is 3e4 times lower than the level that could be expected to cause lead poisoning, but effects on the hematological system, hypertension and renal function is a possibility among the participants with the highest blood lead concentrations. However, the most critical risk of lead in humans appears to be effects on the central nervous system of fetuses and children. Blood lead concentrations between 50 and 100 mg/L, but also as low as 30 mg/L may have an impact." https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/pdfs/health/Johansen_et_al_2005.pdf

I'm going spend my time worrying about things that are actually threats to my children..

Pdzoller

WKR
I can’t understand why there is such an issue with trying our best not to cause collateral damage. Can birds sometimes get lead poisoning from kills made with lead bullets? It sounds pretty probable to me. Is it as prevalent as some make it out to be? Probably not. Still doesn’t sit well with me personally not to do my best for all these organisms that I love.

I can’t understand why there is such an issue with trying our best not to cause collateral damage. Can birds sometimes get lead poisoning from kills made with lead bullets? It sounds pretty probable to me. Is it as prevalent as some make it out to be? Probably not. Still doesn’t sit well with me personally not to do my best for all these organisms that I love.
Same way I feel about emissions standards...

Even if you don't believe in climate change, how is cleaner air bad?