Lead Sled Opinions

OP
N

nobody

WKR
If you are seriously concerned.... Damage or not, you are likely going to be nervous about it for some time. I dropped a gun once when I fell down a hill. There wasn't any visible damage but I never felt confident with that gun again so I sold it. Peace of mind is really worth a lot. If you are really concerned, sell it and buy something else. Used prices are high enough right now you shouldn't lose too much.
Something to consider for sure. I want to avoid that, since my wife gave me the gun as an early christmas gift surprise (been eyeballing a 7 mag for awhile), but I understand where you're coming from.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
No I never damaged a gun in one and I’ve fired some big boomers off of them.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
You're letting your OCD get the better of you on this one. Your rifle is fine, confirmed by the good shots after the lead sled. Put this one to bed and move on to worry about something else.

(I say this because this is the kind of thing I would obsess over for a while!)
This is the most helpful response by far haha. Sometimes I just need someone to say it like it is, and this is the type of thing I would tell someone else to do. Glad I'm not the only one who does this!

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Work fine on my end, Caldwell with a bag or 2 of lead shot. Never had an issue.

Put the wife behind her 243, 8 shots to confirm point of impact. Slight tweak of scope, Check

Next, 8 shots free hand at 100 to practice.

Opening day of rifle. She shoots her buck at 10 yards sitting in one of my archery stands. Said all she could see was the shoulder transition line on 3 pwr, blew the heart to smithers. Ha

wapitibob

WKR
Without weight my rifle and lead sled would jump pretty good. I use a bipod and rear bags now and I'm not sure how high it jumps now but it's not a nice easy straight back slide. A good 3 direction break will fix the movement.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Without weight my rifle and lead sled would jump pretty good. I use a bipod and rear bags now and I'm not sure how high it jumps now but it's not a nice easy straight back slide. A good 3 direction break will fix the movement.
How big of a cartridge are you running through it? Wood stock? Any damage to any equipment ever?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
As long as the sled can move rearward some as the rifle recoils, I think think it's fine to use a sled. They have those rubber legs that can stick to surfaces like concrete benches, which isn't good for letting the rifle recoil. Slide some carpet underneath and the sled can slide back a bit at the shot.
If you weight the sled down, most particularly if you are shooting a big ol land cannon, you are asking for trouble - split stock, sheared mounting screws, etc...

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I never realized this could be an issue. I've fired hundreds of rounds off of a sled for round development over the years and never had anything close to an issue with any rifle from 300wm to .243. I've also never put weight on it though.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
As long as the sled can move rearward some as the rifle recoils, I think think it's fine to use a sled. They have those rubber legs that can stick to surfaces like concrete benches, which isn't good for letting the rifle recoil. Slide some carpet underneath and the sled can slide back a bit at the shot.
If you weight the sled down, most particularly if you are shooting a big ol land cannon, you are asking for trouble - split stock, sheared mounting screws, etc...
Yeah I didn't use any weight, but I still couldn't believe how much it bounced and moved allover vertically. It did slide back some, but the sled more hopped and rattled rather than just sliding. That's probably why it made me worried, just because of how almost unpredictable it made the recoil, rather than moving it in a predictable direction and manner. There doesn't appear to be any damage, and it shot well afterwards, so I'm hoping I'm good.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I was shooting next to a guy who was using a weighted sled and shooting a pump slug gun in 12 ga. The stock sheared in two at the pistol grip.

I’ve never used one and always wondered where all that energy is supposed to go if not backwards into an absorbing shoulder.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I was shooting next to a guy who was using a weighted sled and shooting a pump slug gun in 12 ga. The stock sheared in two at the pistol grip.

I’ve never used one and always wondered where all that energy is supposed to go if not backwards into an absorbing shoulder.
Yup, that's my worry as well with shooting a 7mm Rem Mag in one.

rayporter

WKR
does a lead sled damage a gun? well not every time is the answer. can it? if you google and ask around you will find many instances besides the 2 that are listed in this thread. a short thread has 2 busted stocks. not a large sample for sure and 2 busted stocks and no telling how many scopes. unless you have a scope checker you cant test easy for scope damage. i put my target scopes on the scope checker yearly and any hunting scope that acts odd or gets changed out to put on another rifle gets checked before i remount it.

nothing about a lead sled is good for the rifle or its accuracy. you cannot duplicate it in the field when hunting, especially if you strap it down!

get a front rest and a rear bag and an extra sissy bag for you shoulder and shoot better with out worry!

My take - OP, your rifle hit where you pointed it after shooting from the lead sled so let it go and stop worrying about your rifle being damaged.

Lead sleds are hard on stocks and optics and shouldn't be trusted as a true zero anyway. Anyone with an understanding of how to properly shoot a rifle should be able to shoot better off of front and rear rests than a lead sled. If someone cant handle the recoil without a lead sled they should change to shooting something they can handle. They are many times worse off shooting a rifle they are afraid of than using something with a little less energy on target.

Beyond that, lead sleds work fine as a rifle holder for cleaning.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
My take - OP, your rifle hit where you pointed it after shooting from the lead sled so let it go and stop worrying about your rifle being damaged.

Lead sleds are hard on stocks and optics and shouldn't be trusted as a true zero anyway. Anyone with an understanding of how to properly shoot a rifle should be able to shoot better off of front and rear rests than a lead sled. If someone cant handle the recoil without a lead sled they should change to shooting something they can handle. They are many times worse off shooting a rifle they are afraid of than using something with a little less energy on target.

Beyond that, lead sleds work fine as a rifle holder for cleaning.
Thanks for your honesty sir, I appreciate it! Sometimes you need a kick in the teeth to bring you back to reality.

I don’t use a Lead Sled but so far I haven’t heard of anyone hurting their scope in this thread. Maybe I’m missing something.