Lead to Steel for Pheasant

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I want to switch over from lead shot to steel shot for pheasant hunting. We are seeing an increase in ducks where we pheasant hunt and would like to be able to shoot both. What do you suggest? I shoot a 12 gauge auto loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Ducks can be efficiently killed with 3” 6s with the proper choke. I don’t know why those wouldn’t work the same for pheasants. If worried, go up to 4s or 5s.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
#2 or #3 steel shot wont be overkill for pheasant. #4 shot would also work. I always go with bigger shot in steel as it doesn't retain its energy as well as lead.

Spoonbill

WKR
I have had good luck using black cloud #4 out of my 20ga. It hammered the last few pheasants I shot. I have also used steel 7's to shoot a duck, did well but I was also fairly close.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Also these are wild birds, not planted so they are pretty wild flyers. My buddy said to use #2 or #3.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Good rule of thumb with steel shot is to take the shot you use in lead and go up two sizes.

Rob5589

WKR
I use Kent steel #2 for ducks and have killed a few pheasant as well with the same load. It can tear them up some at close range but that is more choke than shot size.

slvrslngr

WKR
Where I hunt it's not uncommon to jump ducks while looking for pheasant. I use Kent or Fiocchi 3" #4 out of a 20 ga., works on ducks too as long I don't push the range. Most the time I use either a IC (early season) or a Blackcloud Long Range (later season) choke. If I were you, I'd get some #4 steel with a Modified choke and rock on.

I use #2’s and #1’s for for steel but had great success with the bismuth loads or even some of the bismuth/steel loads. I had some issues with smaller shot steel and spent too much time recovering wounded birds so I opt for the larger size shot.

Ucsdryder

WKR
2s and 3s are great for ducks. If I’m shooting ducks and geese I might drop to a 1 in a 3.5”. Don’t go too big if you’re shooting 2 3/4”. The number of shot starts to get a little low. I personally would go with 3’s.

I was in the same place a couple years ago and wasn't super happy with steel performance on pheasants. (I used No 2s, 3s and 4s). I switched to Kent Bismuth Upland in 3 inch No 5s. Serious medicine for roosters and ducks and is almost as dense at lead ( bismuth density is 9.6 gr/cc; lead runs 10-11 gr/cc).

Rich M

WKR
We use #4s on ducks a lot, #2 would be the best option tho - longer range and deader birds.

Used to use #1 Winchester Dryloks for ducks, geese, and whatever else we encountered.

Bismouth, tungsten, and hevi-shot are pricier options.

Laramie

WKR
I shoot 3" #4 steel for pheasant and decoying ducks. Jump shooting I typically size up to #3 or #2 shot. Pay attention to the speed ratings on your steel shot as it can impact your lead distance. The high velocity steel loads are moving 15-20% faster than most standard lead pheasant loads so you will want to shorten up your lead on crossing birds.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
2 3/4" 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 depending on your preference of pattern density or speed I like 3's pretty much for everything except geese. I wouldn't loose any sleep if I had to use 3" shells or 4's or 2's but find 4's stop killing well just inside of 40 yards, but my ability to produce good clean kills falls off at 45 yards regardless of shell length and shot size so they don't give up much. I'd lean towards 3" 1 1/4 load of 3's or 2's if ducks were the primary objective and pheasants a secondary concern.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
3" #3's would be perfect in my opinion, Federal Black Cloud gets my vote.

dtrkyman

WKR
3s or 4s, buy a few different flavors and see what patterns best. steel likes open chokes.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
3s or 4s, buy a few different flavors and see what patterns best. steel likes open chokes.

That was going to be my next question but didn’t want to open a can of worms... what size choke should I use for 3” # 3 steel?

dtrkyman

WKR
That was going to be my next question but didn’t want to open a can of worms... what size choke should I use for 3” # 3 steel?

I prefer IC, I shoot decoying ducks and Pheasants over dogs so a MOD. would be my next choice, you really have to pattern them though. I have a MOD. tube that specs out between IC and MOD and it is quite good.

The 1 3/8th loads are typically better in the IC and the high Velocity 1 1/8 may be better in the MOD.

I have been crushing ducks with 4s lately, close shots and mostly smaller ducks too. Just some crappy winchester xperts too, they shoot well in my IC for decoying birds, if the mallards show up my first round will be a #4 followed up buy a #3 and then a #2.

Most loads out perform the shooter in my experience!