Lead to Steel for Pheasant

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
The higher the velocity, the faster the load will open up. If you shoot a load that’s going, say 1300 FPS, it will retain a more dense pattern further away than one going 1550 FPS or faster like some are moving nowadays. But a LM or Mod would be ideal in either situation.....as long as you do your job!

That was going to be my next question but didn’t want to open a can of worms... what size choke should I use for 3” # 3 steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early season when both ducks and pheasants are a bit closer IC. After that the pheasants flush more wild and the ducks keep their distance unless we catch some snowy weather. MOD is in most of my bird seasons.

Cervid

FNG
I got a pellet of #7 steel in a rooster once. I was actually out for woodcock but thought I might jump a duck at close range, and plus I just had #7 at the time. I didn't expect to see pheasant. Well, the pheasant flew a few hundred yards after I shot it, I went to where it was and it flushed again, without a shot, and then searched for it, finding it another 50+ yards away where my dog caught it on the ground as it tried to run away. At first I thought that I missed given his behavior after the shot, but when I opened it up there was a single pellet with pretty poor penetration in the breast. I will be using bigger steel shot in the future if there is any chance of pheasant.

Here is a pair from last weekend, wild Kansas birds on public land. Rio #4s killed ‘em pretty dang dead. I usually shoots 5s in lead towards the end of the season, 4s in steel.

Attachments

• 82A9038E-A811-469C-BAFD-0EB3D3D63AEB.jpeg
    82A9038E-A811-469C-BAFD-0EB3D3D63AEB.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 132CE9D6-DB9E-4F64-A0A1-89121BFCF914.jpeg
    132CE9D6-DB9E-4F64-A0A1-89121BFCF914.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 20

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Steel 2's or 1's. 3" usually, 3.5" if its really windy or late season and birds are flushing at 30-40 yards.
1550 fps through patternmaster EXT. I'll be giving Boss and Kent bismuth loads some attention next fall though depending on which one patterns better.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I advise shooting Bismuth, not steel, either Kent upland bismuth or Boss shotshells stuff.
No having to math out your shot size or screw with choke changes to compensate for steels crappy terminal performance.
I ran Boss #7 early season last year and killed birds stone dead at 30-40 no problem.
Switched to Kent #5 later on and it absolutely smashed em.
If your buying Black cloud or other premium steel it’s $25-30 bucks a box anyway.
Also you don’t have to shoot super hot loads and beat the snot out of yourself with bismuth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bretm

FNG
As previously stated by someone else Boss copper plated bismuth is awesome. This was my first year using them we don't have any pheasants where I hunt but they work well for big ducks. If I was only shooting a box or 2 a week when hunting I would say it is well worth the money.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Tough question. How high are the ducks typically? Is this pass-shooting or are they coming into a pond? My favorite for ducks are #3 Hevi Metal but I think this has been discontinued. I shoot it from a Kicks High Flyer choke but that could really tear up a pheasant that's closer.

It seems like I end up using steel more each year for pheasant hunting. I prefer to use lead but with most of the cover being on state or federally owned lands, steel is mandatory. I prefer to use 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz 4 shot lead and 3" 1/4oz 4 shot steel. Honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference in knockdown power between the two, as long as shots are somewhat close.

Brendan

WKR
What's worked decent for me this year is Rio 3" Royal Blue Steel #2. I've been using a Patternmaster Code Black Goose choke, and have killed everything from small bufflehead to large canada geese. Most of my hunting has been open marshes and I tend to get slightly longer range shots, so take that into account...

cfish4422

FNG
I was in the same place a couple years ago and wasn't super happy with steel performance on pheasants. (I used No 2s, 3s and 4s). I switched to Kent Bismuth Upland in 3 inch No 5s. Serious medicine for roosters and ducks and is almost as dense at lead ( bismuth density is 9.6 gr/cc; lead runs 10-11 gr/cc).
I'm in the same boat you were in. I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks