Leaking hydration bladder.

OP
Xtorminator

Xtorminator

Well Known Rokslider
After making this thread I told my wife the first response would be don't buy a camelback. I was close. LOL

Chesapeake

Well Known Rokslider
I use platypus.

A Camelbak bladder weighs roughly 1.5x what a similar Platypus bladder weighs. Maybe 3-4 oz more weight. The platypus hoser is a few bucks cheaper than the cheap Camelbak is on sale. If you really think you need a big lid for cleaning access or whatever the Big Zip is the same price as the Camelbak stuff and just a touch lighter.

Why buy something that is heavier, likely more expensive, and more likely to fail?

OP
Xtorminator

Xtorminator

Well Known Rokslider
I wasn't saying to buy this one or that one. The reviews just got me thinking. I had just not given it a thought before.

Chesapeake

Well Known Rokslider
Im sorry. I interpreted your comment that you were reading the reviews to mean that you were doing research for a potential purchase.

MattEastman

Well Known Rokslider
I've wondered the same thing. I bought a brand new Camelbak last year and it leaked right away. My inside of my bag was all wet.....not good. Going with a MSR or a Platypus. Guess I better check out the Source as well.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've wondered the same thing. I bought a brand new Camelbak last year and it leaked right away. My inside of my bag was all wet.....not good. Going with a MSR or a Platypus. Guess I better check out the Source as well.

I had the MSR and it had a horrible "plastic" taste. I switched to the Camelbak Antidote and no problems. I have used it a bunch also!

dotman

So far I haven't had an issue with my source but people have had every brand leak. Seems like if I remember most of the ones that leaked also had drink mixes put in them and never really cleaned, just going off memory so I could be wrong.

Backpack Hunter

Well Known Rokslider
I use platypus.

A Camelbak bladder weighs roughly 1.5x what a similar Platypus bladder weighs. Maybe 3-4 oz more weight. The platypus hoser is a few bucks cheaper than the cheap Camelbak is on sale. If you really think you need a big lid for cleaning access or whatever the Big Zip is the same price as the Camelbak stuff and just a touch lighter.

Why buy something that is heavier, likely more expensive, and more likely to fail?

I have had the Platypus leak, I have not had that experience with the Camelbak.

G Posik

Well Known Rokslider
I have used the Camelbak for years and never had one leak. Now that I made that stupid comment watch what happens... I have never done anything special except tighten the lid good. I guess if I needed a new one I might try one of the others listed

Glenn

sk1

Well Known Rokslider
never had my camelbak leak in 3 seasons, 3 liter bladder and i fill it often, im a thirsty kinda guy