Leaky Boot fix

FlyGuy

WKR
OK, I knew this was going to happen...not here but another forum; some boot rep clown PM's says this is 'Irresponsible' as it wrecks the breathability of the boot. Build these things to last more than a year and then come back and talk to me.....Jeez.

I can tell you from wearing these in warm and cold hiking for hours in these- they MAY be less breathable....but I didn't notice a difference...my feet sweat in the new GT boots anyway...and not noticeably more.

The noticeable thing with the sealer is your feet STAY DRY........when you step in a swampy spot [or hours of swampy stuff] you don't instantly feel the cold water seeping in.
Brilliant. Everyone of us, including myself, that has ever seam-sealed a shelter is shaking their heads and wondering how they didnt think of this themselves. That's the true mark of a great idea! Nicely done Beendare!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Ive been using this concoction for years on boots and nylon tents

The smell is quite pungent at first but after a day or so of air drying its bearable

Tip: Combine ingredients in a 5 gal bucket - Use a paint mixer attached to a cordless drill and mix to the consistency desired. I used a garden sprayer to apply to tents

Good luck

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Another update;
I have a buddy that tried this on his boots that had a significant amount of sno seal that he had melted into them....This seems to have inhibited the silicone sealer from completely sealing them and when he stands in his pool a tiny bit of water gets in somewhere.

Now he said they are much better than they were [5 yr old Lowa mesh boots] but not 100% sealed the way my Solomans are.

Can this be done to new leather boots? I'm getting some leather lined Tibet's in the mail and before I go and snow seal them, I want to know if this is a better or even pliable option.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Can this be done to new leather boots? I'm getting some leather lined Tibet's in the mail and before I go and snow seal them, I want to know if this is a better or even pliable option.

My guess is that it isn't going to be as effective on all leather boots....probably have it peeling off. I would just use a liquid silicone treatment on all leather.

My seam sealed boots going on a few months new- fantastic....like FlyGuy said above....I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner

My guess is that it isn't going to be as effective on all leather boots....probably have it peeling off. I would just use a liquid silicone treatment on all leather.

My seam sealed boots going on a few months new- fantastic....like FlyGuy said above....I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner

Are you putting this on the leather parts also? If so what does this all look like after treatment? I would imagine it would look shiny and not like the original boot or does it all get absorbed into the leather and the cordura?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Yes I put it on the leather parts. It is a little bit shinier but up to you where I am it’s a non-issue. Make sure to thin it down To the consistency of a watery paint. Some guys have contacted me saying they made it to thick,Maple syrup thick and it will peel off.

You want it thin enough so it actually penetrates the fabric and the leather

Man- i don’t ever buy goretex in my boots. Always 1 piece leather construction and always go with the sno seal. Like you say. G Tex boots always leak and never breath anyway. I’ve never had as good of luck with a commercial silicon preparation as I’ve had with snoseal and a hair dryer. I
These need it bad. I’m not ready to switch horses yet- but I’m goin to whip up a batch of inhalants - I mean boot sauce from your recipe and try it on some other boots. I think with your recipe your Better off starting on new boots. Probably about like waxing a floor vs poly a floor. It’s one or the other.
b3e14a4e046c53f393b10bec1b511d59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
IDK I am at a lose with waterproof boots myself. I have a set of Asolo 520s that fit my feet great and were waterproof for one season.
Since then I have tried many waterproofing products. I have not used Snow seal but I used Montana Pitch blend last season via hair dryer and melting it in. I spent 2 hrs doing this and the boots still got wet within a few days of use. Actually, it was the first day of hiking through wet grass. Being a full leather boot it makes it hard to dry in the field. I am gun shy to buy more expensive boots at this point as all I hear is none of there waterproofing seems to last or work. I can't afford to spend $300-$500 boots every year but I cant have wet feet either. Like I said I am at a lose. One thing I know I want is a rubber rand around the bottom of the boot.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I have those Asolo 520s and use no seal on them.....they get waterlogged after 2 days of slogging through wet stuff. They gain about a pound each in water weight....and they aren't the lightest boot to begin with. I haven't tried this sealer on them- YET. grin
>>>------>

I'm at the 6 mo mark on my Soloman GTX's and they are still going strong- no leaks, when before they were leaking like a sieve.

I wouldn't use this on new boots....use the silicone treatment instead. This is great for a worn in boot that starts leaking.

Complaints about smell? Mine don't smell after leaving them outside to dry and using them once. Heck the commercial silicone sealers all smell...its the nature of the best.

Beendare which silicone treatment are you referring to on new boots? I have a pair that is about 15-16 months in use that the right boot still holds and left I will be sloshing right away. Want to use the spirits silicone mix on these but I have a second pair that backcountry had on a great sale for $120 shipped that don’t have a ton of use and do ok for a little while and was thinking maybe the new boot treatment on those.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Beendare which silicone treatment are you referring to on new boots? .

Its the 100% silicone bathroom sealer you get at the hardware store. You mix that with mineral spirits to the consistency of a thin paint....not too thick or it will peal off later. You want the sealer to penetrate into the fabric.

I doubt it will work on leather boots like Juan's above...as the silicone has to penetrate and if it has any wax or other product already on them....it ain't gonna work.

As with anything, its best if you try a little spot first on expensive boots....

My Solomans are still hanging in there. :cool:

I've had many good compliments on this tip from a few different sites...and a couple bad saying it didn't work. It seems the bad ones the guys put it on thick and it pealed off....or their boot already had a sealer on it that repelled the silicone.

I wouldn't use this on new boots....use the silicone treatment instead. This is great for a worn in boot that starts leaking..

This is the sealer I was wondering about for new boots. I tried the concoction on my worn leaking Solomon’s this weekend. Need to test it out soon here

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Used this stuff this year. Worked great.

Attachments

• BA5C7DE9-557B-4222-893A-BDD529CA9429.jpeg
    BA5C7DE9-557B-4222-893A-BDD529CA9429.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Glad it worked for you.

The guys that had problems with it mixed it too thick. make it really thin it just disappears into the fabric and water seals extremely well..... New life to old boots👍🏼

Its the 100% silicone bathroom sealer you get at the hardware store. You mix that with mineral spirits to the consistency of a thin paint....not too thick or it will peal off later. You want the sealer to penetrate into the fabric.

I doubt it will work on leather boots like Juan's above...as the silicone has to penetrate and if it has any wax or other product already on them....it ain't gonna work.

As with anything, its best if you try a little spot first on expensive boots....

My Solomans are still hanging in there. :cool:

I've had many good compliments on this tip from a few different sites...and a couple bad saying it didn't work. It seems the bad ones the guys put it on thick and it pealed off....or their boot already had a sealer on it that repelled the silicone.
I wonder if seam sealer made for tents would also work?
My go-to tent is from 1993...back then they did not come with seams sealed,
so I sealed the seams myself and still no leaks 28 years later....