Leaky Gut, scam?

My bride and I have been on a keto type diet, working well, suits our lifestyle. I haven’t lost as much weight as I think I should have, but I definitely feel better. I have slimmed down some and have managed to keep it off.

I watched a couple videos from a guy named Dr. Gundry, who’s claim to fame is the “leaky gut” theory. A lot of the stuff kind of makes sense and would explain some of the issues I’ve had with weight, joints and cognizance over the years. I’ve heard about this theory before, I think on Joe Rogan’s podcast.

We eat a pretty disciplined Keto diet, but definitely not as much organic as we probably should. What are your thoughts on “leaky gut”?

PantaRhei

FNG
If I had GI issues like Crohn's or celiac disease, I may be a little more interested in looking into the options for combating a potential "leaky gut". If I'm self-diagnosing based on infomercials that tell me a bottle of his or her special formula will make me feel better rather than making lifestyle changes (exercise, balanced/healthy diet, adequate sleep, stress reduction, etc.), then I'd say money would be better spent on ammo.

zacattack

WKR
Increased intestinal permeability or “leaky gut” is an actual thing. Now, does it contribute to all these things that some “nutritionists” claim probably not. It may have some effect on conditions like Crohns, but if you don’t have that or something like it I wouldn’t worry about leaky gut. Unfortunately there is very little science and research at the moment to really back anything up. So don’t believe the snake oil salesman.

Also, organic food is not better than any other food.

*zap*

WKR
Correct probiotic levels are important as is omega 3 to omega 6 balance. Processed food is not good for you.

K

Kootenay Hunter

My wife cannot eat nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers) as they cause her RA to flare up. Almost everything else is fine, but after eating any of those, her joints swell up and she gets really lethargic and sore, within hours.

She only found this out after having major flare ups and taking on a AIP/Paleo protocol diet for a few months, then re-introduced stuff.

She had no idea and suffers from RA for years, it's been a couple years since she had a flare.

Not really leaky gut, but the things we eat can affect our health in bigger ways than we think.

organic vs regular produce has been proven again and again to have no nutritional difference.

Rich M

WKR
Leaky gut is real.

You should have symptoms if you have issues with it. It is also more likely to be an issue if you have some of the other gut issues - crohns, celiac, etc.

Eat correctly and there should be no issues. My friend takes tons of supplements and I take none. Guess who is healthier - sometimes I think the cause of the problems is taking all that stuff.

The thing about organic is less exposure to chemicals - pesticides and herbicides and synthetic fertilizers in the produce.

Same goes for meat - growth hormones, anti-depressants (true), anti-biotics, etc. in cows, pigs, chickens, etc. Organic grass fed beef is supposed to mean they grew the cow without all that extra stuff that you shouldn't want. If I buy a ribeye at Publix and a greenwise ribeye at the same Publix, the non-organic regular ribeye has a metallic taste - what it is and where it comes from is unknown, it is just there. I've been around this enough times with my wife and will concede that she's correct on this one.

OXN939

WKR
Also, organic food is not better than any other food.

This is partially true; some organic foods are essentially just overpriced versions of their non-organic counterparts, but there is also a large difference in some cases. Just over 25 pesticides are approved by the FDA for use on organic farms; more than 900 are approved for conventional ag. There's plenty of debate out there and reading to be done on how significant of an effect this has for the consumer, but the numbers are tough to argue with.

My personal opinion is that a lot, maybe even the majority, of issues like leaky gut, food sensitivities and IBS would be helped or cured by cutting out commercial dairy. Low quality dairy is much more prolific and also much more processed than it has ever been, and adds a ton of unnatural components to the standard American diet.

If you haven't already, cut out dairy for a month and see what happens. Bet you have more energy and feel better.

OP
M
I’ve tended to be heavy/fat my whole life. I’m exercising and trying to eat healthier now. Since I’ve gone “keto”, my sensitivity to sugar has become dramatic. I had pancakes with syrup a couple weeks ago and was miserable the rest of the day. I’m sure other factors like whipped cream didn’t help.

Thanks everyone for the responses.